Quantcast

So my favorite park is burning down right now....

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20131114/NEWS01/131114007/Table-Rock-fire-triples-size-Linville-Gorge

Firefighters today continued battling a wildfire in the Linville Gorge Wilderness that has closed trails and some Forest Service roads.

The fire covered 1,800 acres as of this evening, said Deborah Walker, spokeswoman for the U.S. Forest Service.
This place has some of my favorite climbing areas, hiking trails, and campsites. This sucks. :(

I took these at about 2am last night:

The quote in my sig fits this topic way too well...

Last edited:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
I know what you're feeling . My favorite place to ride went up in flames this summer . I was super bummed as well . I'm riding my favorite place again the damage is still there in some areas and some parts of the forest are still closed .but hang in there you'll be back riding your favorite trails again !

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've lived my entire life in areas prone to wildfire, and I grew up in a house who's livelihood revolved around it. I know the feeling. It sucks, but you'll be amazed at how it comes back. In 10 years it will be different than how you remember it now, but it will still be amazing.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
On the plus side, it's supposed to rain all weekend with not much wind. And there's no mountain bike trails in the area that's currently on fire, but there's a few close by.
It totally sucks. Just rode WC last week. Best riding in NC. Worried about NoName. Plz,plz,plz Mr. Fire, stay to the west of 181, at least?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
1800 acres, wow that's grown a lot. Sometimes fire is necessary for growth. Any news on the cause of the fire ?

The new trail off OVT is a ton of fun but the whole trail is covered in leaves. Makes night riding more challenging.

I saw on the Rocky Knob Facebook page that the trails have been blown off with leaf blowers. :D

Look at this way dude, at least no one is finding dead bodies in the parking lot of your local spot.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
40% contained now, and spread more South than east today, according the the news, so good for mtb trails. But still expected to spread... Night ride at ovt, eh? I like it. Felt like I was floating down R******'s last Fri with all dem leaves.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
1800 acres, wow that's grown a lot. Sometimes fire is necessary for growth. Any news on the cause of the fire ?

The new trail off OVT is a ton of fun but the whole trail is covered in leaves. Makes night riding more challenging.

I saw on the Rocky Knob Facebook page that the trails have been blown off with leaf blowers. :D

Look at this way dude, at least no one is finding dead bodies in the parking lot of your local spot.
Haha Salem lake was my favorite place to ride in high school...

From what I've heard so far it was some asshats in the car camping campsites near the tablerock parking area that let their campfire get out of control.

And I'll have to check out that new trail. I've had pretty much zero time to ride lately.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So, when did you move from Boulder to Boone?

Saw these on a friends facebook feed, she was pretty bummed about it like you are. I hope it isn't as bad as it looks like it could be.