Quantcast

so my girlfriend discovered she loves mountain biking...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We've been dating for about 8 months now, and about 2 weeks ago she expressed interested in going for a mountain bike ride with me. I got her set up on my slalom bike (only frame I have that would adequately fit her) slightly modified into more of an all around xc/trail mountain bike (non-race gearing, more comfortable seat, platform pedals). I also got my xc helmet fitted to her and got her a pair of gloves that were her size. She even asked if she could borrow my extra camelbak.

ANYWAYS! I took her on the easiest trails we have locally (Forrestal Nature Preserve in Ranchos Palos Verdes, right near the South Bay), and made sure that we rode at her pace. I did my best to explain the basics to her (braking, shifting, body position, turning, standing up and leaning back on descents, that kind of stuff). She was nervous at first because she had never been off road, we've only ever ridden on roads and paved paths. She took to it just fine though! She only fell once, and thankfully she wasn't hurt and was able to laugh it off. It was a shorter ride (about an hour) but for a beginner she did great. She even figured out on her own that its easier to go faster than it is to go slow. She was super pumped and is excited to go mtb'ing again!

I realize I definitely need to get her hooked up with her own helmet, some riding shorts, those kinds of things. I'm already starting to toss around the idea of looking into getting her a bike of her own - not that I have a problem with her borrowing mine, just that I think she'd be better off with something that actually fits her properly. Got any recommendations? It doesn't have to be anything high end, but as a former mechanic, downhiller, bmx'er, and all around riding junkie I understand the importance of a bike that fits YOU. I know Trek offers some female specific frames, are these worth it (in terms of geometry, anything else)? Any other recommendations in terms of gear, bikes, places to rides? Just general ways to make sure she's having a good time and enjoying herself!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, I figured this would be the best place to get some female specific advice. I've never dated someone that wanted to get into riding so this is new for me. I never pushed her to get into riding, I just let her know that if she ever wanted to all she had to do was ask.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That awesome!
What's different about a female specific bike? Are they just smaller?
I think they have a shorter TT, and I've seen some women's specific road bikes that were actually running 700c rear wheel and a 650c front. I'm hoping that some of the gals that frequent this section of RM can shed a little more light as to whether its a design better suited for a woman's proportions or just marketing BS.

Generally speaking, if you put the same height man and same height woman next to each other, you'll notice that the woman's height is in her legs and the man's in his torso - so again generally speaking women specific bikes have shorter top tubes but longer seat tubes. Of course, not all women specific frames will be right for all women.

I'd measure her up and start looking around at framesets online to see what might fit.

My rockhopper was a great entry level bike and I hear they are still making them great. Giant also give you a lot of bang for the buck (if you are going new). I know Giant makes women's specific so maybe find a shop that carries the line and have her try a few.

Sounds like you did a good job encouraging her and teaching her - :banana:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
To add to MBCs post...

Some Women's Specific Bikes also offer narrower bars, a female specific saddle and (less frequently) shorter cranks.

Again, I would definitely have her measured. I am not an average woman as my legs aren't longer like a typical woman so I fit relatively well on men's small bikes with a shorter standover height.

I too would suggest having her ride a few different bikes around. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about rockhoppers and I have also had good luck with Cannondale bikes (I had a small jekyll for quite a while that fit great).

Good luck and remember to take it slowly...it sounds like you're off to a great start encouraging and teaching her!

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
We've been dating for about 8 months now, and about 2 weeks ago she expressed interested in going for a mountain bike ride with me. I got her set up on my slalom bike (only frame I have that would adequately fit her) slightly modified into more of an all around xc/trail mountain bike (non-race gearing, more comfortable seat, platform pedals). I also got my xc helmet fitted to her and got her a pair of gloves that were her size. She even asked if she could borrow my extra camelbak.

ANYWAYS! I took her on the easiest trails we have locally (Forrestal Nature Preserve in Ranchos Palos Verdes, right near the South Bay), and made sure that we rode at her pace. I did my best to explain the basics to her (braking, shifting, body position, turning, standing up and leaning back on descents, that kind of stuff). She was nervous at first because she had never been off road, we've only ever ridden on roads and paved paths. She took to it just fine though! She only fell once, and thankfully she wasn't hurt and was able to laugh it off. It was a shorter ride (about an hour) but for a beginner she did great. She even figured out on her own that its easier to go faster than it is to go slow. She was super pumped and is excited to go mtb'ing again!

I realize I definitely need to get her hooked up with her own helmet, some riding shorts, those kinds of things. I'm already starting to toss around the idea of looking into getting her a bike of her own - not that I have a problem with her borrowing mine, just that I think she'd be better off with something that actually fits her properly. Got any recommendations? It doesn't have to be anything high end, but as a former mechanic, downhiller, bmx'er, and all around riding junkie I understand the importance of a bike that fits YOU. I know Trek offers some female specific frames, are these worth it (in terms of geometry, anything else)? Any other recommendations in terms of gear, bikes, places to rides? Just general ways to make sure she's having a good time and enjoying herself!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, I figured this would be the best place to get some female specific advice. I've never dated someone that wanted to get into riding so this is new for me. I never pushed her to get into riding, I just let her know that if she ever wanted to all she had to do was ask.

hi JonKranked--
props on the patience--many men turn their women off of the sport when they bring them out...sorry i can't help in regards about a specific female frame. i'm tall enough that i've never had a problem finding bikes...good luck & why don't you have her post on what she ends up getting?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
the older warps in size small are great too, and can be had for cheap! my wife is 5'1" and likes it, though she uses a 45mm stem...she doesn't like to pedal up much....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks for the input everyone!

We've talked about it and my gf and I both agree that a hardtail would be best for her to start on, its one less thing to have to take into consideration when you're riding (rear suspension that is). This will also help us stay within budget and still get something decent.

As far as women's specific stuff goes, it definitely makes sense to go by overall fit, not just looking at women's specific stuff. What works for one rider may not necessarily be right for another.

I'm trying to be as patient as I can. I've been mtb'ing for over a decade and I don't expect her to be anywhere close to my level (not to sound arrogant, but I still remember when I was learning. Its a big difference compared to my ability level now). I can remember when I was just getting into riding, and a few times I went out with riders who were way better than me, and they just left me sitting behind in the dust so to speak. I want to make this as positive of an experience for her as I can, in hopes that she'll continue riding and eventually get good - she can already do really good with climbs, she has strong legs.

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
My husband taught me to ride, about a million years ago now, and it was a really positive experience. He had been riding for about a million years before I came on the scene, so, same scenario as you and your gf..... It was great to ride at my level for a while, and then to step it up (although, as I recall, there was the one time that resulted in many tears- on my part, of course, and the phrase "there's no crying in Mountain biking!!", but that's an entirely different story!! :shocked:) and hey, we wound up married, so it worked itself out!! :banana:

The guys I rode with were all light years ahead of me, but they didn't "sandbag" me the way they might a guy...

Sounds like you have the bike thing figured out. I got a hardtail (Kona Explosif) which I adore and still ride to this day (along with my Bullit!)-- if I can progress, ultimately to DH, anyone can! Not that everyone would, but if the will (and shin guards) are there, she can go anywhere!!
Awesome!

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Yep, I have a rockhopper.... I don't think Specialized calls the women's version a rockhopper anymore, though. I think the equivalent now to the one I have is a Myka HT Sport. It has v-brakes, but has the hangers on the frame so it's upgradeable to disc brakes. I got new wheels with disc brake compatible hubs on them a month or so ago, so I'm halfway there now. :) This is my second full season of mtn biking, and this thing has withstood a ton of abuse and goes through just about anything except true downhill riding. Like I said, I had to get new wheels because I destroyed the originals, but other than that, it's been great! I love it!!!!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hey Jon,

That's great!!

Here is what women's design means for bikes:
1. shorter toptube to accommodate a shorter torso
2. narrower handlebars to accommodate narrower shoulders
3. wider saddle to accommodate wider sitz bones.

Specialized is the only manufacturer I'm aware of that additionally
4. has lighter weight frames on women's bikes b/c the frames are not "beefed up" in the areas that receive torsional forces. Women physically do not torque as hard as men, so there is no need to add tubing.
5. lighter weight springs in every fork. Spring rates are based on average rider weight/bike size. If you get a men's bike (and many other women's bikes) with a coil fork, it will be spring for the average male riding that size bike.

Generally women ride one size larger bike in women's than men's. I ride a 15"/small men's bike, but a 17"/med (almost a 19"/large) women's bike.

Choosing bike size if she is undecided or between sizes:
Take coins or something to place at intervals 4-paces apart in the parking lot at the bike shop. Have her weave through them as if it's an obstacle course, riding Bike A, the Bike B, then Bike A again. A bike that is too small will feel twitchy. A bike that is too big will feel lethargic.

Saddles:
Men generally run saddles flat and level. Women will tilt theirs down 1-2 degrees. That's all it takes to take the pressure off the delicate soft tissue area. Make sure that no part of the saddle has the profile of a handrail.
:twitch:
Flat spots. It needs flat spots.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)