Quantcast

So no-one's jumping on it?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Is it too easy? The 9/11 report that came out saying that Iraq and Al Qaeda had no credible ties....even though GWB said that there were...and pretty much based an entire war on it?

Anyone? Bleeding heart liberals? Guys?

** crickets chirping **

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
MMike said:
Is it too easy? The 9/11 report that came out saying that Iraq and Al Qaeda had no credible ties....even though GWB said that there were...and pretty much based an entire war on it?

** crickets chirping **
I think no one is really jumping on this because every semi-intelligent person who left their mind 5% open since the start of this entire thing has known the truth.

Will someone explain this little bit to me...I mean, I can't be the only person who sees something wrong with the below:

1) Clinton gets a lil' action in the oval office...republicans go hog-wild over it, have Clinton under oath, he lies about the whole sexual relations thing (depends how you define it :rolleyes: )...and get his arse impeached.

2) The number of lies, cover-ups, and corrupt dealings Bush and his croonies have told or undertaken eclipses any other presidency in history and causes thousands of Americans to lose their jobs, retirement, and/or lives. BUT, because he was not under oath for any of these statements (more importantly, he WOULD NOT go under oath), prevents him from getting impeached. Smart guy? Quite possibly more than most people take him for. However, it seems to me the guy should still get impeached.

Done

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
LordOpie said:
did Bush say that or did he say Iraq had ties to terrorists?
Direct ties to Al Queda...not just terrorists in general...if it were direct ties to terrorists in general, every country and their mom would be feeling our wrath.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
from the cnn article

No al Qaeda, Iraq cooperation
The panel said it found "no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda cooperated on attacks against the United States."

The report contradicts statements from the Bush administration that Saddam Hussein had ties to al Qaeda.

In response, a senior administration official traveling with President Bush in Tampa, Florida, said, "We stand by what Powell and Tenet have said," referring to previous statements by Secretary of State Colin Powell and CIA Director George Tenet that described such links.

In February 2003, Secretary of State Colin Powell told the United Nations that Iraq was harboring Zarqawi, a "collaborator of Osama bin Laden and his al Qaeda lieutenants," and he said Iraq's denials of ties to al Qaeda "are simply not credible."

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I thought the 911 commission was supposed to find out why planes crashed into the world trade center, not why we went to war in Iraq. Anyway, Bush never said we went to war because Osama and Saddam were buds, it was because they wouldnt comply with the UN, wouldnt account for WMD, had human rights violations, and "harbored terrorists" but hey, that's just what i remember...I wouldnt wanna argue with a guy with a David Gilmour version of Pink Floyd avatar. Those guys suck.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
BurlySurly said:
I thought the 911 commission was supposed to find out why planes crashed into the world trade center, not why we went to war in Iraq. Anyway, Bush never said we went to war because Osama and Saddam were buds, it was because they wouldnt comply with the UN, wouldnt account for WMD, had human rights violations, and "harbored terrorists" but hey, that's just what i remember...I wouldnt wanna argue with a guy with a David Gilmour version of Pink Floyd avatar. Those guys suck.

Would you want to argue with MY avatar in a dark alley?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
saddam hates al Qaeda and osama for that fact.the thing that scares me the most is most people dont care that he lied(not everyone)

apathetic people suck

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
BurlySurly said:
Yeah, I thought that's what they were supposed to do too, but, I can see why they would investigate it at the same time.

The reasons you give for us going over there and knocking heads together are all correct on some level....at some point in time after Bush "connected" Hussein and Al Queda, he threw out each one of those excuses, in an attempt to cover his butt. Again, though Iraq was complying with the UN, they couldn't find (and still haven't) any WMD, and Iraq wasn't harboring terrorists (again, if we went after every country that harbored terrrorists, we'd be sacking almost every country in the world).

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
MMike said:

** crickets chirping **
just tired of being right all the time... and the conservatives still acting like we are wrong. :D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
TCoop924 said:
Again, though, Iraq was complying with the UN, they couldn't find (and still haven't) any WMD, and harbored terrorists (again, if we went after every country that harbored terrrorists, we'd be sacking almost every country in the world).
I think your memory may be a bit cloudy here. If i recall, that head inspector guy wasnt being given full cooperation, couldnt interview scientists alone, was given incomplete paperwork on WMD programs, ordered al-samud2 missiles destroyed, but the dismantling was haulted, all this after 11 or so years of complete non-compliance.
Also, we have found small amounts of WMD, or did you not get the news about the mustard, sarin gas found in roadside bombs?
Now granted, Im not saying it was part of an active arsenal, but it still was never accounted for, and that's not the full cooperation the UN demanded, but failed to enforce. Enter the US.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ummbikes said:
Burly-

Way to keep on task with the spin. It's like you write for the military or something.

Oh.

That is what you do.
Why is it a "spin" if the facts don't always agree with a certain groups harping topics? :)

Just becuase they don't help your cause doesn't mean they aren't topics that should be included in teh discussion.

But that wouldn't make either side 100% right.......:rolleyes:

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
RhinofromWA said:
Why is it a "spin" if the facts don't always agree with a certain groups harping topics? :)

Just becuase they don't help your cause doesn't mean they aren't topics that should be included in teh discussion.

But that wouldn't make either side 100% right.......:rolleyes:
It's spin, by definition, when the discussion is shifted from the matter at hand to another issue.

The issue is, that the 9-11 commission found that Bush was flat wrong when he implied a link between Iraq and Al Qaeda.

:mumble: :p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ummbikes said:
It's spin, by definition, when the discussion is shifted from the matter at hand to another issue.

The issue is, that the 9-11 commission found that Bush was flat wrong when he implied a link between Iraq and Al Qaeda.

Wouldn't the 9/11 commision be doing the same thing? Changing focus from why/how the 9/11 event happened to assessing Bush for afterwords? :p (who loves you Ummbikes....I do I do. :eek: but only in a plutonic way you understand so don't be getting any ideas....;) )

In fact isn't using Iraq/Al Qaeda as the only matter of topic here missleading and directing the public from the bigger picture of Iraq not cooperating and bringing the UN (if they could :eek: ) or the USA down upon them (actually mostly Saddam)? Just asking....

Now if finding out there aren't any credible links to Al Qaeda now doesn't mean that Bush lied then.....hind sight being 20/20 and all. If the information Bush and EVERYONE ELSE had pointed more convincingly in that direction than away. Is Bush lieing? Or was he working with (NOW known to be) not totally inclusive facts? Just asking.....

Not trying to spin or anything. :)

But wouldn't discussing Bush lieing be a spin from the matter at hand that the information available at that time was false as far as credible evidence is concerned....any extrapulation from that is then a SPIN in your favor, right? :D Just asking.....haha

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ummbikes said:

Oh and BS'sresponse was not a spin with regard to the TCoop924 he as responding to....right? He was mearly correcting TCoop924's assumptions that BS deemed to be false. :)

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
So, let me get this straight, Bush is good, invading Iraq good, Burly's spin good.

I loves yous too big boy! But, ya, in that non-sexual slap you on theback and have beer kind of way. We can even invite Burly and L'Opie too.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ummbikes said:
So, let me get this straight, Bush is good, invading Iraq good, Burly's spin good.
Invading wasn't good or bad and only time will tell.

Burly wasn't spinning anything, he was answer the question with the facts.

As for Bush, well, that's questionable. As long as he did what he believes is good for US, then I don't have a problem with him... I might have a problem with his policy/action.

ummbikes said:
I loves yous too big boy! But, ya, in that non-sexual slap you on theback and have beer kind of way. We can even invite Burly and L'Opie too.
I'm afraid :eek: No, that doesn't mean hold me :mad:

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
L'Opie, I can see where you can feel the way you do about the invasion. It's an easy position to take.

I have taken a stand about the invasion and occupation based on my ideas of liberty and justice and what America should aspire too.

I'm sure president Bush is a swell fellow and all, but I strongly feel he is sub-standard leader at best. A total incompetant at worst.

To re-introduce an issue (made by Rhino?) about the relevance of Iraq in the discussion of 9-11 I will add that it is intertwined with 9-11. Bush et al. created a media campaign that effectively linked Iraq and Al Qaeda in the minds of Americans. This link as we all can now read about in the NY Times and every where else, has been proven false.

You know, we have killed the damn horse, whipped his corpse into a froth and have churned the earth where he died into a muddy spot.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Well said ummbikes.

I am happy that a more reliable source came out showing with proof that the Bush administration lied about one of the huge reasons for going to War, and I just hope that this might open the minds of other people to at least consider that it is not beyond this administration to lie to get what they want (for whatever true reason that is). That said, I do believe removing Hussein (not in the way we did it though), is a good thing.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ummbikes said:
To re-introduce an issue (made by Rhino?) about the relevance of Iraq in the discussion of 9-11 [*SPIN*] I will add that it is intertwined with 9-11. Bush et al. created a media campaign that effectively linked Iraq and Al Qaeda in the minds of Americans. [/*SPIN*]
I was just trying to point out they are two very distinct events, and one of them was not part of the 9/11 panel focus...creating a SPIN of it's own.

I Don't think Iraq/Al Qaeda should have been linked in the first place. :-)eek: suprise!) I think there was enough NON-cooperation from Saddam to warrant the UN going in there...before/aside from 9/11. But that is another topic. ;)

Redirection...kinda, 9/11 "findings":
Did anyone catch the reports saying planes bound for the west coast (up to like 20 planes nation wide?) were targeted for hijacking that day (or period I didn't get the specifics) Now after months (years?) of research and looking for connections I am sure more people are going to be to blame for the 9/11. When really nothing like that had happened before, why would speculation (later found to be true) create a need to shut the airways down? "someone was asleep at the wheel..." :rolleyes:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
TCoop924 said:
the Bush administration lied
This is something else...

Tcoop, I dont believe anything has proven that the president lied. It may come out that some facts he was given were incorrect and he passed those on thinking they were correct. That's far from lying.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
TCoop924 said:
I am happy that a more reliable source came out showing with proof that the Bush administration lied about one of the huge reasons for going to War,
Going from "no connection" to "lieing" (knowing the trueth before hand and missrepresenting anyway) is a judgement baised on personal bias, no? Atleast so far....you maybe right.

Little story:
I do it too. I didn't trust Clinton even before he took office....I even told my HS teacher when she was discussion him that I "just didn't trust him, but couldn't put my finger on it" He was kind a of a used car salesman to me, smooth and shifty, I couldn't trust him. Now later on, his actions helped solidify that opinion. But I had some bias affecting my opinion of Clinton in the start and that was wrong.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
RhinofromWA said:
Going from "no connection" to "lieing" (knowing the trueth before hand and missrepresenting anyway) is a judgement baised on personal bias, no? Atleast so far....you maybe right.

Little story:
I do it too. I didn't trust Clinton even before he took office....I even told my HS teacher when she was discussion him that I "just didn't trust him, but couldn't put my finger on it" He was kind a of a used car salesman to me, smooth and shifty, I couldn't trust him. Now later on, his actions helped solidify that opinion. But I had some bias affecting my opinion of Clinton in the start and that was wrong.
Yeah, you're correct in that. I would be lying if what I said isn't affected by a personal bias....and bingo...your bit about Clinton...that's exactly how I feel about Bush, Cheney, and the majority of their cabinet. My bias is only strengthened though when things like this come up.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
TCoop924 said:
...and I just hope that this might open the minds of other people to at least consider that it is not beyond this administration to lie to get what they want...
but you say that as if:

1. Supporters don't realize they lied and perhaps supporters saw this as a lie from the start and didn't care cuz the end justified the means.

2. You say that as if every political administration from the beginning of time didn't lie to achieve their goals.

Clinton lied about a BJ.

Bush Sr and Reagan lied about Iran Contra, etc.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
RhinofromWA said:
Now after months (years?) of research and looking for connections I am sure more people are going to be to blame for the 9/11. When really nothing like that had happened before, why would speculation (later found to be true) create a need to shut the airways down? "someone was asleep at the wheel..." :rolleyes:

It wasn't just Bush's fault, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon and so on, all play a role. The system was flawed.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
LordOpie said:
but you say that as if:

1. Supporters don't realize they lied and perhaps supporters saw this as a lie from the start and didn't care cuz the end justified the means.

2. You say that as if every political administration from the beginning of time didn't lie to achieve their goals.

Clinton lied about a BJ.

Bush Sr and Reagan lied about Iran Contra, etc.

1. I'm a little confused...want to clarify that one?
2. I'm not pretending that democrats don't lie and that republicans do...they're politicians...they all lie.

BUT, like you said, Clinton lied about a BJ....Bush Sr and Reagan lied about Iran Contra, etc....so, I guess I place small amounts of importance on the latter versus the former.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
RhinofromWA said:
I was just trying to point out they are two very distinct events, and one of them was not part of the 9/11 panel focus...creating a SPIN of it's own.

I Don't think Iraq/Al Qaeda should have been linked in the first place. :-)eek: suprise!) I think there was enough NON-cooperation from Saddam to warrant the UN going in there...before/aside from 9/11. But that is another topic. ;)

Redirection...kinda, 9/11 "findings":
Did anyone catch the reports saying planes bound for the west coast (up to like 20 planes nation wide?) were targeted for hijacking that day (or period I didn't get the specifics) Now after months (years?) of research and looking for connections I am sure more people are going to be to blame for the 9/11. When really nothing like that had happened before, why would speculation (later found to be true) create a need to shut the airways down? "someone was asleep at the wheel..." :rolleyes:

I'm not making my point with you.

I'LL YELL FOR EMPHASIS!

THE ISSUE OF IRAQ WAS LINKED BY BUSH TO THE WAR ON TERROR, WHICH WAS THE RESPONCE TO 9-11! THAT IS THE CONNECTION. REMEMBER THE COMMISSION IS MADE UP OF HAWKS AND DOVES ALIKE. REMEMBER SLADE GORTON? HE IS ON THE COMMISSION.

That was fun.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
Burly wasn't spinning anything, he was answer the question with the facts.
Oh but he was spinning, and not using facts. He said:
Shirley said:
I think your memory may be a bit cloudy here. If i recall, that head inspector guy wasnt being given full cooperation, couldnt interview scientists alone, was given incomplete paperwork on WMD programs, ordered al-samud2 missiles destroyed, but the dismantling was haulted, all this after 11 or so years of complete non-compliance.
Also, we have found small amounts of WMD, or did you not get the news about the mustard, sarin gas found in roadside bombs?
Actually Iraq caved and the inspectors were allowed _full_access_ (finally)by Saddam but were pulled out (not thrown out). Al-samud2 missiles were being dismantled despite Iraq's protestations that they were not within the remit of the ban.

And 'small amounts of WMD'? Weapons of a little bit of mass destruction?

That is spin.

Oh and it appears after all that the non-compliance was not at the level that Bush and Blair lied to us about...

Of course, we invaded to deliver the Iraqis from evil in the end.