Quantcast

So now that i have one...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
What exercises should i do? I got my trainer and rode today but realized i need some plan of attack to get going. I mainly want to focus on my cardio and leg endurance. Any websites, books, etc.

I can't afford fancy computer programs or a heart rate monitor so just something simple but effective would be good.

Thanks.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
wear a watch and figure out your target heart rate and then you can calculate your percent heart rate for endurance training, fat burning etc. Then just go with it and have fun because doing something, anything is better than sitting and eating all winter (though that's fun too) :)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
go get the "train right" videos. they have ones designed for specific purposes, ie climbing, TT, sprinting....etc. go pick up a few of them and give them a try. make sure to put a huge fan in front of you while you do this. and have plenty of water set aside.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Dude, the Joel Friel Cyclists Training Bible is the best training book there is out there. If you don't wanna do that, then you should do some workouts that are low intensity (easy spinning)/long duration, and some that are high intensity(80 % of your all out spinning effort on the trainer)/short duration.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
If he cant afford $30 for a HRM how can he afford videos, books, etc?

cadence: count pedal strokes, you should be around 90...adjust accordingly if not

always warm up / cool down

some ideas:

>just long & steady

>standing intervals, stand fo 1min, sit for 2; stand for 2, sit 2; stand 3, sit 2;...4/2, 5/2, 4/2, 3/2, 2/2 and back to stand1/sit2

>power sides, push hard on the down stroke w/your right leg only, repeat 45 times, then switch to pushing hard on the down w/the left 45 times, then spin for 90 strokes, then back to the right...repeat

>simulate a real ride, adjusting tension/gears: flats, flats with head wind, hill (lower cadence), steep hill (even lower cadence), downhills, etc

pl