Quantcast

So....Pinkbike is going to be monetised...

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Had anyone else read the news?

In short, they've been bought by Outside Magazine and will continue to offer free content, but a bunch of stuff will be subscription based.

I'm kind of bummed tbh. Not so much about the subscription - if it's cheap enough and the ad revenue is truly not enough to keep their heads above water, I'm happy to pay a la Strava.

It's more about driving away the community, especially with the Buy/Sell section. That's actually a really good feature for us tech and parts starved Aussies plus whoever. I'd hate to see a watering down of that resource.

In a similar vein, I'd hate to see RM become subscription based... the amount of really useful tech knowledge here is highly valuable.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I love the classifieds
Articles, Friday fails and sat saves....it's a great resource for hard to find parts... but I won't subscribe....I'll go elsewhere oh shit that leaves mtbr....does this go under "what's wrong with the industry" thread...

Yeah dropped a couple gun sites when they did this....make money on the advertisers and all the companies they give good reviews cause they throw em swag and pay for adds....
Forums will be free just cause all the kids can't afford $6 a month....plus they don't have a cc for subscription....

Would be good to see some infusion of $ into ridemonkey....there's more common sense and brains in here than I see in the 25 and under youth combined....

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
There's a whole thread on Vital about how there will be forum refugees flooding over there as well. I'd be surprised if we get much going here as this is really just a (grumpy old man) forum without any content of its own.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's a whole thread on Vital about how there will be forum refugees flooding over there as well. I'd be surprised if we get much going here as this is really just a (grumpy old man) forum without any content of its own.
The fucks that are already showing up are telling vital to change so it's more like pinkbike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'd say there's an opportunity here. It's just that the competition isn't up to the task imo.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Anybody wanna do a forum/sales based BIKE site? Lay it out like so. We can work this out.....

Slow Moto (EBikes)

Not Good At Anything (Gravel Bikes)

Too Slow To DH (Enduro)

PED Delight (Cross Country)

Hauling Ass (Downhill)

BMX Is Better (Slope, DJ)

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
It'll kill it, just like its done to a lot of newspapers in the UK. These subscription models just dont work and pink bike have been paying enough to some of the people they have on board for a while too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It'll kill it, just like its done to a lot of newspapers in the UK. These subscription models just dont work and pink bike have been paying enough to some of the people they have on board for a while too.
the loss of the userbase (traffic) is what has the potential to kill it. if you look at the comments on any article since this was announced, all of them are bashing outside, whether or not they leave? time will tell. already seeing a lot of new traffic to vital.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Freemium models work if users find value in the premium content. NYT and ESPN are both good examples. The Athletic is full premium and doing well. With the attention on gear in our sport I think it's very doable if done right.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Freemium models work if users find value in the premium content. NYT and ESPN are both good examples. The Athletic is full premium and doing well. With the attention on gear in our sport I think it's very doable if done right.

But you have to have good original content to get the $$$. As much fun as friday fails is, it is far from original content. There are a million other sources where reviewers gush over every new bike/gear that comes out. Cathro's videos are amusing but enough WC riders themselves have been posting WC videos that his stuff isn't as interesting anymore.

So they better be figuring out something new, perhaps they can discuss the bike industry without being cheerleading bike industry lackeys.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
But you have to have good original content to get the $$$. As much fun as friday fails is, it is far from original content. There are a million other sources where reviewers gush over every new bike/gear that comes out. Cathro's videos are amusing but enough WC riders themselves have been posting WC videos that his stuff isn't as interesting anymore.

So they better be figuring out something new, perhaps they can discuss the bike industry without being cheerleading bike industry lackeys.
Based on comments they’ve made it sounds like product lab testing is being considered.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Between Youtube, Instagram/FB, Tiktok, Podcasts, websites and forums there's actually way too much mtb content online now.
It's not like anything new ever happens.

Just ride your bike.
Preferably a 26"

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
it would be cool to see them get certified as an independent test last. running a proper lab does not come cheap.
They would need someone with a test engineering degree. Don’t see that happening.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
the loss of the userbase (traffic) is what has the potential to kill it. if you look at the comments on any article since this was announced, all of them are bashing outside, whether or not they leave? time will tell. already seeing a lot of new traffic to vital.
I like vital but its defo not as user friendly as pink bike and i dont know if they are investing as much new content as what pink bike do.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Between Youtube, Instagram/FB, Tiktok, Podcasts, websites and forums there's actually way too much mtb content online now.
It's not like anything new ever happens.

Just ride your bike.
Preferably a 26"
I fully agree with you but i think they bring a lot of that together, i dont really follow any instagram/tiktok/podcasts or really go on any forums now since southern downhill and descent world died apart from here ive never used the PB or Vital forum.

I think pink bike is easier to see stuff where as vital is very ad heavy and forced into your face.

It actually pisses me off on vital you click on an article you have to watch an ad, click on an embedded youtube video have to watch another ad. Its really not user friendly.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I fully agree with you but i think they bring a lot of that together, i dont really follow any instagram/tiktok/podcasts or really go on any forums now since southern downhill and descent world died apart from here ive never used the PB or Vital forum.

I think pink bike is easier to see stuff where as vital is very ad heavy and forced into your face.

It actually pisses me off on vital you click on an article you have to watch an ad, click on an embedded youtube video have to watch another ad. Its really not user friendly.
Yeah. similar here with the demise of SDH and DW here is the only DH forum I look at too.
I only ever look at Vital when there's a world cup DH race on but probably skim over pinkbike's main page to look at any "news" most days.
On instagram I only really follow WC DHers and a few friends. The average WC guy's social media content is dull AF most of the time so I don't spend a lot of time there either. Youtube mainly throws biking and gaming videos at me because that's what I tend to watch and Tiktok is mainly funny stuff with the odd biking clip as I don't follow anyone so it probably just runs off the algorithm based on what I don't scroll past on the odd day I actually look at the app. Don't reall have time for podcasts at all.

Bottomline is ALL of these media outlets run off advertising money... and if that's not paying the bills sufficiently you're either going to have to fold it or find another source of revenue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm not sure how much actual control that spomer et al have over the format/layout & backend. the same platform is used across all of vital media.

that being said, their race coverage is still superior to pinkbike.

edit: on vital media spomer is listed as content director.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Once again what in the shit does "taking it to the next level" mean, and why would a PB user want it? I think most of the hate stems from that phrase in the announcement. Sounds like some "growing the sport" BS.

I've yet to see a forum buy out actually work, but if the founders of PB got paid, good for them, better to take the cash and run than let your website slowly die on the vine.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
bro speak for going to full douche at the speed of plaid.

it's like buying a normal pick up truck, then lifting it, putting on xtra wide road slicks, and truck nuts.
What if I bought a pickup and did AWD, full Independent Suspension, Brembo Brakes and a 900 HP all aluminium motor? we are talking coke lord money but still. I'll find Escobar's money buried one day I just know it!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What if I bought a pickup and did AWD, full Independent Suspension, Brembo Brakes and a 900 HP all aluminium motor? we are talking coke lord money but still. I'll find Escobar's money buried one day I just know it!!!
depends, are you going to take it off roading, or do donuts at the mall trying to pick up girls that are way younger than you?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Once again what in the shit does "taking it to the next level" mean, and why would a PB user want it? I think most of the hate stems from that phrase in the announcement. Sounds like some "growing the sport" BS.

I've yet to see a forum buy out actually work, but if the founders of PB got paid, good for them, better to take the cash and run than let your website slowly die on the vine.
That Brian Park guy mentioned somewhere in the comments about a PB world cup race team as being next level...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
That Brian Park guy mentioned somewhere in the comments about a PB world cup race team as being next level...
All his comments got nuked by downvotes, must have missed it.

What value do they think they're adding with that? I mean, sure it's cool to own a WC team, but in terms of why PB exists, what could it add? Do they have trouble getting access to WC athletes? If anything I see it ruining their otherwise semi good WC coverage.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

This was a good read,my concern is with RM and the talk of revenues are in need here as well of them all. How much money does it cost for RM a year of operation? All this talk of money,but how much to run it? Just wonderin.

Ave

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This was a good read,my concern is with RM and the talk of revenues are in need here as well of them all. How much money does it cost for RM a year of operation? All this talk of money,but how much to run it? Just wonderin.

Ave
Tree fiddy

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Anybody wanna do a forum/sales based BIKE site? Lay it out like so. We can work this out.....

Slow Moto (EBikes)

Not Good At Anything (Gravel Bikes)

Too Slow To DH (Enduro)

PED Delight (Cross Country)

Hauling Ass (Downhill)

BMX Is Better (Slope, DJ)
I'm definitely in the "Too slow to DH" category but can you add "hardtail trail" beside enduro?

Everyone will still gravitate to the dh section to get nuggets of woosdom from Kidwoo.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
i'm not sure how much actual control that spomer et al have over the format/layout & backend. the same platform is used across all of vital media.

that being said, their race coverage is still superior to pinkbike.

edit: on vital media spomer is listed as content director.
I don't like how big sites are migrating to video/podcast content. I don't have the time or energy to skim through a 16 minute video such as the one everyone is praising (that guy running a Pivot Phoenix as an enduro bike), skipping all the ramblings and concept repetition so deeply entrenched in the speech of the so called "content creators", to reach the core concept a written article would have condensed into ~1000 words.

I like to read something somebody took the time to proof read before publicizing it, not a poor beta version some half assed guy spat online and would correct if somebody else spots an error.

Plus the whole "shred/gnar/dude" vocabulary so en vogue at Vital is yesterday's news since at least two years ago.

I like the technical content of NSMB better than Pinkbike, and Pinkbike better than Vital.

Last edited: