Quantcast

So....Pinkbike is going to be monetised...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't like how big sites are migrating to video/podcast content. I don't have the time or energy to skim through a 16 minute video such as the one everyone is praising (that guy running a Pivot Phoenix as an enduro bike), skipping all the ramblings and concept repetition so deeply entrenched in the speech of the so called "content creators", to reach the core concept a written article would have condensed into ~1000 words.

I like to read something somebody took the time to proof read before publicizing it, not a poor beta version some half assed guy spat online and would correct if somebody else spots an error.

Plus the whole "shred/gnar/dude" vocabulary so en vogue at Vital is yesterday's news since at least two years ago.

I like the technical content of NSMB better than Pinkbike, and Pinkbike better than Vital.
I get what you're saying. Usually I'd rather read an article than watch a 5 minute video.

That being said, I do like podcasts, it's more of a long form that doesn't really lend itself to a text article. Inside Line (from vital) is probably the best mtb podcast out there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I get what you're saying. Usually I'd rather read an article than watch a 5 minute video.

That being said, I do like podcasts, it's more of a long form that doesn't really lend itself to a text article. Inside Line (from vital) is probably the best mtb podcast out there.
Meh, you do what you always do, skip to the last 10% of the video. Anything useful will be there...unless it's a DIY video...but even still there's probably a bunch of bullcrap before it gets started. And they'll tell you it'll only take 1.5 hours, but you have to own every tool known to man, including the reverse axis parallel universe transplaner ratchet.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This whole "monetizing" idea is predicated on the assumption that the content is worth paying for.

It is not.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
when Dick Jr retires from racing someone better hire him for the express purpose of breaking stuff.
while not 110kg, I'm fairly close at 99. as someone who has broken three rims since last September, I watched this with a certain degree of interest. I'm not sure what it was about the Chromag rims, but I just couldn't keep them alive. When they dented, it went all the way down into the spoke bed, and when I tried to pull the dent out of the sidewall, somehow, it got super sharp, almost like a blade. I ordered some Spank Spike rims from Germany - they were all sold out here in Canada. While the scientific validity of this video is dubious, I still feel a marginal sense of relief that they seem to be up to a certain degree of beating.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way of blacking out their gawdawful decals since they can't be removed... I see to recall you posted a link to some sort of primer/spray paint a while back... can you remind me?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
while not 110kg, I'm fairly close at 99. as someone who has broken three rims since last September, I watched this with a certain degree of interest. I'm not sure what it was about the Chromag rims, but I just couldn't keep them alive. When they dented, it went all the way down into the spoke bed, and when I tried to pull the dent out of the sidewall, somehow, it got super sharp, almost like a blade. I ordered some Spank Spike rims from Germany - they were all sold out here in Canada. While the scientific validity of this video is dubious, I still feel a marginal sense of relief that they seem to be up to a certain degree of beating.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way of blacking out their gawdawful decals since they can't be removed... I see to recall you posted a link to some sort of primer/spray paint a while back... can you remind me?
i have a set of spank trail rims and quite like them.

no idea on what paint it was.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
This whole "monetizing" idea is predicated on the assumption that the content is worth paying for.

It is not.
this is what I said to friends last week, can't recall ever reading anything even remotely worth paying for on any mtb website. if they're going to paywall parts of what they already do, then good luck and it was a good run.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Well, I for one can't wait to dive into the article on MTB drop bars. *rubs hands together / cracks knuckles*

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Part of the ride my wife and I did on Saturday is a really rough rocky 13 mile road descent. I've always done it on my rigid 29er, with a 2.35 front tyre. It's been a few years since we were up there and in that time "gravel" bikes have become the in thing.

Many riders were heading up on their drop bars and skinnier tyred bikes as we were heading down. Descending that road on a "gravel" bike would be not fun.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
let's be fair, this *IS* surly we're talking about. they've always kinda been out in left field doing their own thing.
Fair play, each to their own. I did a gravel/rail trail ride last summer here where that kind of thing would be actually pretty rad. I just had a mental image of someone trying to thread single-track or negotiate a step down with that setup.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fair play, each to their own. I did a gravel/rail trail ride last summer here where that kind of thing would be actually pretty rad. I just had a mental image of someone trying to thread single-track or negotiate a step down with that setup.
Would also be good for commuting, which I think is a big market for Surly.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Are the logos printed on? If so and if the rim is anodised and not painted, simple paint stripper will do the trick. I used it to remove the decals off of my (non Spank) rims. Acetone will work as well, but it´s more work.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

It is not.

That's where the slave factory Asia tours will be. All the unconcerned people can watch 10-year-old kids with whips against their back working for a bowl of rice a day. Then we will come back to the "Designed in Country" where engineers are being paid $45K a year to start ie just under what a FT In N Out employee makes to design said almost the same thing as it was 20 years ago...... and none of it would take off enough time to get that guy from 2nd place into 1st in Expert.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That's where the slave factory Asia tours will be. All the unconcerned people can watch 10-year-old kids with whips against their back working for a bowl of rice a day. Then we will come back to the "Designed in Country" where engineers are being paid $45K a year to start ie just under what a FT In N Out employee makes to design said almost the same thing as it was 20 years ago...... and none of it would take off enough time to get that guy from 2nd place into 1st in Expert.
:confused:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

Downtime podcast is also ok. I listen to Blister Gear's Bikes and Big Ideas when @HAB is on. I gave pinkbike's a try but I don't like Levy and Kazimer so I moved on.

If you want to hear Sam Hill talk for 3 hours then head over to Gypsy Tales podcast. His story about mentally rehearsing a run while timing it on a stopwatch and then coming within a second or two in the actual race blew the host's mind. Also very interesting to me because that's what my friend did the night before he won my country's first ever dh cycling gold at a big regional asian games event.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Downtime podcast is also ok. I listen to Blister Gear's Bikes and Big Ideas when @HAB is on. I gave pinkbike's a try but I don't like Levy and Kazimer so I moved on.
downtime is my second favorite. his WC race reviews with Neko and Elliot are *excellent*

i also listed to the blister one. i wish they would do a live format podcast so we could call in and heckle @HAB

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you want to hear Sam Hill talk for 3 hours then head over go Gypsy Tales podcast. His story about mentally rehearsing a run while timing it on a stopwatch and then coming within a second or two in the actual race blew the host's mind. Also very interesting to me because that's what my friend did the night before he won my country's first ever dh cycling gold at a big regional asian games event.
that's pretty wild. haven't heard of gypsy tales. worth checking out?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
that's pretty wild. haven't heard of gypsy tales. worth checking out?
As far as I know it's mostly moto content but they are Australian and the host is a massive Sam Hill fan. Apparently Sam was also one of the most requested guests so they flew all the way to Western Australia to make it happen. Podcast is recorded in a room where his framed world champs jerseys are displayed on the walls.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Are the logos printed on? If so and if the rim is anodised and not painted, simple paint stripper will do the trick. I used it to remove the decals off of my (non Spank) rims. Acetone will work as well, but it´s more work.
Pretty sure they're laser etched with a clear coat over top. And shot peened somewhere in between.

But it's a moot point. I just picked up my shipment from the post office, and the black/blue actually looks pretty darn good in person. I'm impressed. I may actually order the matching Oozy 350 for the front.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
downtime is my second favorite. his WC race reviews with Neko and Elliot are *excellent*

i also listed to the blister one. i wish they would do a live format podcast so we could call in and heckle @HAB
I probably can't heckle properly in English so I would leave that to you guys.

I would listen to a ridemonkey podcast if there was one. It will be called gripemonkey because it would probably be just an hour and a half of complaining.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

If you want to hear Sam Hill talk for 3 hours then head over to Gypsy Tales podcast. His story about mentally rehearsing a run while timing it on a stopwatch and then coming within a second or two in the actual race blew the host's mind. Also very interesting to me because that's what my friend did the night before he won my country's first ever dh cycling gold at a big regional asian games event.
I burn through so many podcasts on my drives to sites for work these days. Downtime is probably my favourite - he lets the guests do the talking really well and doesn't talk over them with his own stories like some of the others. Audio usually very good and some of his guests are crazy interesting. He's had Barel on a few times and that dude is a savant.

Vital's last few with the Rooted DH american boys have been funny stuff.

Blister's stuff is great as well (and really good audio!), and I don't even mind the Pinkbike chats as a bit of a time killer. Levy/Kazimer are just bike riders when it comes down to it. They'd don't shit me too much as long as you take them with a grain of salt. They're just characters.

I'll listen to Andrew Neethling's Moving the Needle from time to time but some episodes are like pulling teeth. Just rambling with no format (Gracia, Rennie, etc).

The Gypsy Tales one with Hill was a good one purely as Hill doesn't often open up very much. The host does interject a little bit but meh.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
To top it off, you'll get videos of some woke prick with a manbun in the marketing department going on about "sustainability" as he sniffs his own farts.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

I burn through so many podcasts on my drives to sites for work these days. Downtime is probably my favourite - he lets the guests do the talking really well and doesn't talk over them with his own stories like some of the others. Audio usually very good and some of his guests are crazy interesting. He's had Barel on a few times and that dude is a savant.

Blister's stuff is great as well (and really good audio!), and I don't even mind the Pinkbike chats as a bit of a time killer. Levy/Kazimer are just bike riders when it comes down to it. They'd don't shit me too much as long as you take them with a grain of salt. They're just characters.

I'll listen to Andrew Neethling's Moving the Needle from time to time but some episodes are like pulling teeth. Just rambling with no format (Gracia, Rennie, etc).

The Gypsy Tales one with Hill was a good one purely as Hill doesn't often open up very much. The host does interject a little bit but meh.
Thanks for listening!

It's unreal how much a pain in the ass getting decent audio quality is. Glad our efforts are going noticed though!

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I also use podcasts to help with out of town drives. Burnt through all of Downtime's and only have the just released ones to fall back on. Thankly there are new ones every week. True that Chris does a great job of leading the show with great questions and he seems to do his research, but he lets the guests run with it unintterupted. I struggle to listen to Eliot though, every second word is "like" and he rambles. Its noticable when Neko talks, he has good points and speaks well. And true about the audio quality.

But some other podcasts have been mentioned so I will check them out, cheers.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

Give this one a listen. I've forgotten the specifics because it was a while ago but I specifically searched for a podcast with Vouilloz because the guy is so interesting and he had retired by the time I got into mountain biking.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/bikeradar-meets-podcast-nico-vouilloz/