Quantcast

So....Pinkbike is going to be monetised...

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I'll listen to Andrew Neethling's Moving the Needle from time to time but some episodes are like pulling teeth. Just rambling with no format (Gracia, Rennie, etc).
Did you hear the recent Rennie one? I thought Neethling did remarkably well to *try and keep Rennie on track.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I just watched Cathro's latest "how to ride" video on Pinkbike. It's pretty good. I'd love for all the "learn to ride" people that swear by the clinics put on by useless riders out here to see it. His content is exceptional, no matter what he does. If Pinkbike eventually puts him behind the paywall, I'd be pretty disappointed. I hope he doesn't go along with that. but wouldn't hold it against him if he does; a man's got to eat...

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I just watched Cathro's latest "how to ride" video on Pinkbike. It's pretty good. I'd love for all the "learn to ride" people that swear by the clinics put on by useless riders out here to see it. His content is exceptional, no matter what he does. If Pinkbike eventually puts him behind the paywall, I'd be pretty disappointed. I hope he doesn't go along with that. but wouldn't hold it against him if he does; a man's got to eat...
I hope Cathro puts it on his YouTube channel instead. Kyle (Warner) and April's channel is quite informative for beginners and for those who want to learn new skills. Kyle is rapid on a bike too.

Here's something Ben just casually dropped in the comments section of another youtuber which I saved on my phone. This is about cornering:

Try and maintain light pressure in your hands when changing direction.
• Try and keep your head directly over the bars when changing direction.
•Try and run your legs almost straight as your default position then only bend them when required.
•Try and always reset the legs to almost straight when the trail allows to stop you defaulting to the squat.
• When pumping the bike into a turn DON'T pump with the arms, try pumping just with your legs. Feels like you're going to push yourself out the front door but what it does is stops you leaning back and settles you into an "attacking" position ready for the next turn.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Did you hear the recent Rennie one? I thought Neethling did remarkably well to *try and keep Rennie on track.
Oh yeah, Neethling does well. Its more just a couple of episodes where I paused them as was "WTF am I listening to?"

He has some great insights into behind the scenes at the WCs too.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I hope Cathro puts it on his YouTube channel instead. Kyle (Warner) and April's channel is quite informative for beginners and for those who want to learn new skills. Kyle is rapid on a bike too.

Here's something Ben just casually dropped in the comments section of another youtuber which I saved on my phone. This is about cornering:

•Try and run your legs almost straight as your default position then only bend them when required.
•Try and always reset the legs to almost straight when the trail allows to stop you defaulting to the squat.
• When pumping the bike into a turn DON'T pump with the arms, try pumping just with your legs. Feels like you're going to push yourself out the front door but what it does is stops you leaning back and settles you into an "attacking" position ready for the next turn.
These are exactly correct. People will spend thousands tuning suspension and not spend 30 minutes to tune themselves. But they don't like to hear that answer if they ever ask what they should upgrade or do to try to advance their riding.

Best thing most people can do for themselves on the bike - stretch their hamstrings, so they can hold that form and use those muscle chains properly.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Check out Brett Tippie's podcast as well. I listened to a couple and liked them. He is a good interviewer and to be honest I expected him to talk over guests a lot given his personality.

Back to the Pinkbike debacle, here's an update from Brian Park:

"A small update. Since we recorded this we've been working with the Outside folks and can confirm a few more things. Commenting isn't going anywhere—in fact they are looking at adding comments to other Outside titles too. User generated content from the community, brands, and athletes won't ever be put behind a paywall. And in general, the strategy will be to find things to add to incentivize membership."

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Good.
I have always had a high, legs slightly bent stance. I have been told for years to get lower for a better COG. I have tried, but find I can't move as freely or work the bike as well and end up riding like shit. (Not that my riding ever gets above shit :busted: ). It ends up being tiring and kills the quads, so I said fuck that noise and went back to my "wrong" stance.
Watching Bens latest, his recommended legs slightly bent is my natural stance.

I seems for once I did something right without even trying. Feeling just slightly smug, take that you get lower fuckers. Woo Hoo!! :monkey:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Good.
I have always had a high, legs slightly bent stance. I have been told for years to get lower for a better COG. I have tried, but find I can't move as freely or work the bike as well and end up riding like shit. (Not that my riding ever gets above shit :busted: ). It ends up being tiring and kills the quads, so I said fuck that noise and went back to my "wrong" stance.

I seems for once I did something right without even trying. Feeling just slightly smug, take that you get lower fuckers. Woo Hoo!! :monkey:
Remy Metallier points out in a few of his videos that people should stand up more too. If you're constantly crouched over or in attack mode, you'll get wiped out like you mention.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I need to be careful to not be pulling back on the bars too much if I stand up higher. Otherwise I'm just tiring my hands/arms out too much.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Good.

It’s almost as though folks never rode xc back in the day when lowering the seatpost wasn’t an option. You had to learn to ride tech and jump with the seatpost way up… so yeah, standing was your neutral/attack position.

These days I get low when it makes sense (corners, steeps, jumps), but that standing position is very neutral and low energy consumption for me.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
My bet is when Guerrilla Gravity will release a new DH bike or Revved stays will become available for the Smash so we dont know about it and then will sell out. They we cant read the wonderful reviews.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
While I've never paid for these paywall things (you can just empty your cache and it restarts their tracking of the articles being read) I'm wondering if annoying ads go away?

It's like, why am I paying for this, if I still get annoying ads?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I know we have to hate PB no matter what, but I have a number of friends who are still barely clinging to magazine / media careers, including in the bike sphere. The media industry has been destroyed by vulture capitalists and the expectation of “free” content.

Twenty years ago we wouldn’t have assumed all content should be free, but since then we’ve been trained by tech companies (who create nothing but hype and leverage other peoples’ work) that articles, mags, books, music, photos, and videos cost nothing to produce. Artists and creators should be appreciative of the “exposure.” This ensures that no one but trust funders will create content.

Mags and newspapers always cost money while still needing ads inside. In fact, the ads were generally a much bigger piece of the total revenue than subs or newsstand price revenue.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
While I've never paid for these paywall things (you can just empty your cache and it restarts their tracking of the articles being read) I'm wondering if annoying ads go away?

It's like, why am I paying for this, if I still get annoying ads?
You'll get ads specifically targeted to annoy the fuck out of YOU!!!

How's that for a personalized browsing experience eh?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I know we have to hate PB no matter what, but I have a number of friends who are still barely clinging to magazine / media careers, including in the bike sphere. The media industry has been destroyed by vulture capitalists and the expectation of “free” content.

Twenty years ago we wouldn’t have assumed all content should be free, but since then we’ve been trained by tech companies (who create nothing but hype and leverage other peoples’ work) that articles, mags, books, music, photos, and videos cost nothing to produce. Artists and creators should be appreciative of the “exposure.” This ensures that no one but trust funders will create content.

Mags and newspapers always cost money while still needing ads inside. In fact, the ads were generally a much bigger piece of the total revenue than subs or newsstand price revenue.

The difference being, that after browsing at the newstand, if I didn't like the pretty pictures I could put it back. If I liked the pretty pics, then coinage would appear. Now I have to produce the coins to see the pics and if they are not pretty I have no option of putting the pics back and retrieving my coinage.

How to reconcile the two, I know not.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

I feel seen

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The difference being, that after browsing at the newstand, if I didn't like the pretty pictures I could put it back. If I liked the pretty pics, then coinage would appear. Now I have to produce the coins to see the pics and if they are not pretty I have no option of putting the pics back and retrieving my coinage.

How to reconcile the two, I know not.
To rpet's point, you've had about 20 years to decide if you want to pay for pinkbike content.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
To rpet's point, you've had about 20 years to decide if you want to pay for pinkbike content.
And I'm still on the fence! :D

Rpet has some good points. To me, I don't understand all that, and how the creative's get paid. I assumed via an advertisement-revenue type of model. I guess that's not cool anymore?

To wit. My local trail systems are fee based. No pay, no ride (in theory). So why is it so hard to get maintenance? Why are you relying on volunteers? What is my fee really going towards? (maybe this is a thing for "what is wrong with the industry")

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
And yet, that may have little bearing on what they provide after monetization and building of the wall.
What will be behind the wall - ie Buy and Sell?
Like I said, I know not how to reconcile the two.
Some type of sign-up for a free trial period after the wall goes up?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
place your bets on PB paywall timing! I think they run the year out on free...but then there will still be zero content worth paying for.
The best thing for me would be to have a paywall on PB. It would save me from advertorial, hype and clickbait… decent articles over there are far and few between, yet I keep going in search of them. Should just go to nsmb and be done.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
And yet, that may have little bearing on what they provide after monetization and building of the wall.
What will be behind the wall - ie Buy and Sell?
Like I said, I know not how to reconcile the two.
Some type of sign-up for a free trial period after the wall goes up?
If buy and sell goes behind a paywall, I think sellers will be deeply disappointed.