Quantcast

So....Pinkbike is going to be monetised...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
The best thing for me would be to have a paywall on PB. It would save me from advertorial, hype and clickbait… decent articles over there are far and few between, yet I keep going in search of them. Should just go to nsmb and be done.
rode with Cam (NSMB) at my buddies annual Devil's night ride on Seymour on Saturday evening, he seemed to agree that there was very little content out there, NSMB included, that's worthy of a paywall...full disclosure, I've written regular content and some reviews for NSMB in the past, although not in recent years.

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I could see PB putting all their original content behind a paywall, and for that matter, buy and sell. Probably not the outside content they get sent or steal from Vital find elsewhere.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The best thing for me would be to have a paywall on PB. It would save me from advertorial, hype and clickbait… decent articles over there are far and few between, yet I keep going in search of them. Should just go to nsmb and be done.
:stupid:
my productivity will undoubtedly go up if they go behind a paywall.

I could see PB putting all their original content behind a paywall, and for that matter, buy and sell. Probably not the outside content they get sent or steal from Vital find elsewhere.
We could feasibly end up with all the news release type of "content" being free, and any kind of review (in-depth or first look) being behind a paywall.

While I understand @rpet 's point, I don't think it's an either/or situation. Pinkbike is not the only source of mountain bike news content. There's also NSMB, BikeRumor, Vital, Loam Wolf (is BlisterGear that sort of publication?). If their viewership goes up on those sites, they may be able to afford to pay content creators? The main thing I'll miss from them is the travel write-ups (like this one or this one). But that content isn't created by Pinkbike, they are just a conduit. I think/hope those content creators will continue to get that published elsewhere.... :fingerscrossed:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
rode with Cam (NSMB) at my buddies annual Devil's night ride on Seymour on Saturday evening, he seemed to agree that there was very little content out there, NSMB included, that's worthy of a paywall...full disclosure, I've written regular content and some reviews for NSMB in the past, although not in recent years.
I can see how that is the current state of affairs. When you structure your business around advertising (i.e. as many eyeballs as possible), the kind of material you “produce” is effectively throwaway. Why would someone pay for that, particularly when they’ve been getting it for the cost of banner ads all this time?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Some of the Beta bike reviews are behind a paywall, that seems to be where they're doing their testing. I could definitely see creating a sub-brand - "Pinkbike Reviews" that's behind a paywall. The #1 thing you need before attempting paywall content is a really healthy active user base, and Pinkbike has that in spades. Frankly they'd be stupid not to try it. Unless you're in a high $ niche category the ad business is brutal.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Believe it or not, I still pay for MBUK. (That's a British paper magazine, you know, that arrives in your mailbox? for those who forgot :)

Maybe I'm old school and prefer a paper magazine since I stare at a computer monitor for at least 9 hours out of the day and just want a break? Plus they tend to send swag every once in a while. Which is cool.

Oh here we go, PinkForks the printed magazine! You heard it hear first! Your printed subscription will give you access to all of Outside magazine's "platinum" level on-line membership benefits!

Instead of socks or a fender PinkForks will send you poutine! Limited time only!

Hurry and take my money!

:D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The difference being, that after browsing at the newstand, if I didn't like the pretty pictures I could put it back.
Off topic and just a random memory, but I spent many hours during my high school years sitting in Chapters reading bike magazines.

I couldn't afford to buy or subscribe to most of them, but I could for sure read them for free. Until one or two of them starting wrapping them in plastic - or maybe that was one of the car mags?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
It's pretty funny that we are critiquing media business models on the low-traffic, nearly dead forum of an out-of-business magazine. Lotsa dudes thought Bike was one of the better MTB mags out there. It certainly had sick photos! Now we have Beta: Outside’s print MTB mag, created from the ashes of Bike.

If we are prognosticating, I’d say Pinkbike has their sights on a bigger YouTube presence, possibly followed by a television show or channel: maybe giving Redbull.tv a run for its money.

However, given the Outside CEOs background of flipping mapping apps, I’m not sure… I don’t know who would pay a lot of money for the Trailforks app, even if Pinkbike video and text content were folded in. There’s no Under Armor-sized MTB industry company who’d pay thru the nose for an app, I don’t think. Well, Adidas and Patagonia have the money, but neither seem likely for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Off topic and just a random memory, but I spent many hours during my high school years sitting in Chapters reading bike magazines.

I couldn't afford to buy or subscribe to most of them, but I could for sure read them for free. Until one or two of them starting wrapping them in plastic - or maybe that was one of the car mags?

"Car Mags" - Is that what you called the plastic wrapped magazines on the top shelf? :brows:

Good to know!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
"Car Mags" - Is that what you called the plastic wrapped magazines on the top shelf? :brows:

Good to know!
Pffft wasn't riding or walking all the way to Chapters for those.

The local Beckers convenience store with the old man behind the counter was good for those mags. :busted:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
It's pretty funny that we are critiquing media business models on the low-traffic, nearly dead forum of an out-of-business magazine. Lotsa dudes thought Bike was one of the better MTB mags out there. It certainly had sick photos! Now we have Beta: Outside’s print MTB mag, created from the ashes of Bike.

If we are prognosticating, I’d say Pinkbike has their sights on a bigger YouTube presence, possibly followed by a television show or channel: maybe giving Redbull.tv a run for its money.

However, given the Outside CEOs background of flipping mapping apps, I’m not sure… I don’t know who would pay a lot of money for the Trailforks app, even if Pinkbike video and text content were folded in. There’s no Under Armor-sized MTB industry company who’d pay thru the nose for an app, I don’t think. Well, Adidas and Patagonia have the money, but neither seem likely for a number of reasons.

I'm a paying trailforks customer (pre-Outside buyout), but if it gets folded in as part of a package Pinkbike deal, I will no longer be a paying trailforks customer.

I'm not down with any of the Outside stuff. It stopped me from getting a Beta subscription, if they stayed independent I would have. I'm putting my coins toward the other independent outlets, like Adventure Journal, Cranked Magazine and now Misspent Summers, and Defector (for sportsball stuff), or getting the shit for free like everyone else. That said, would I pay to watch World Cup on RedbullTV? Probably.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
trail forks was such BS. please use our system, yes add trails, yes more, more and more trails, thank you! NOW fuck you pay me! i'm not much of a it takes a village type, but that is exactly what happened and then the village was sent a bill.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
If you guys wrote articles or reviews I would read them. If you start recording the GripeMonkey Podcast I would listen and subscribe!

I read HAB's articles from time to time because I like them and also because they remind me to eat my green leafy vegetables (Mr. Gulay!). Kidwoo's review on the DHR 2 convinced me to buy one although I recall that he wanted to cut the knobs to make them more like a Bontrager G5.

trail forks was such BS. please use our system, yes add trails, yes more, more and more trails, thank you! NOW fuck you pay me! i'm not much of a it takes a village type, but that is exactly what happened and then the village was sent a bill.
Trailforks works very well and I'm quite happy to pay their annual fee. And, unlike Strava, if I have a trail network that I don't want published, I can set that up.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Pinkbike Academy was actually on my TV yesterday on the “Outside TV” channel that my smart tv seems to point itself to after i quit casting Earthed 3. It made it super easy to turn off the tv.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Trailforks works very well and I'm quite happy to pay their annual fee. And, unlike Strava, if I have a trail network that I don't want published, I can set that up.
I hate to admit it but it really does work well. I do a fair amount of blind mtb travel and it has saved my ass several times when exploring new areas.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I’m sure it works well when it was free it seemed to work fine. What the problem is, they make money on the information provided by the community to help the community. I'm also not some that thinks they shouldn't have made money from it, they created the app but without the contributors the app wouldn't function but someone providing their own trail network has little need for the app. How much better would it have been if all people that contributed information (i'm sure they know who did what) before the paywall, were awarded a free annual usage, or two states a year or one? It's a digital volunteer trail digging then being charged to ride. But as said, if you go to a foreign trail network you get tons of information about great trails and that is defiantly worth a charge and one I don't have any problems with.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
this is my primary use for it as well, when riding trail networks that are not local to me.
But this is also what causes the problems. Non locals riding trails that they found online and know nothing about their legality or potential conflicts. What happened to the popping into the local LBS, buying an energy bar or T-shirt if they have cool ones and asking for trail advice? Then you get all the important info, including how sensitive the area is. Even legal trails might have issues with neighbors, access roads, parking, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But this is also what causes the problems. Non locals riding trails that they found online and know nothing about their legality or potential conflicts. What happened to the popping into the local LBS, buying an energy bar or T-shirt if they have cool ones and asking for trail advice? Then you get all the important info, including how sensitive the area is. Even legal trails might have issues with neighbors, access roads, parking, etc.
believe it or not, there's not a LBS for every trail network. and when traveling these days I typically have my kids and don't have an extra hour+ to blow to go bro down at a bike shop. i'd rather spend that time actually riding.

also

1636123471426.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it also sounds like you may not have used the app. illegal trails generally don't show up there, regional admins still have to approve trails that are added. and the app even has an icon for parking areas. it's like they can put useful information in the app, including things like condition reports, difficulty levels, any features, recommended direction, if a trail is multi use, etc.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I’m sure it works well when it was free it seemed to work fine. What the problem is, they make money on the information provided by the community to help the community. I'm also not some that thinks they shouldn't have made money from it, they created the app but without the contributors the app wouldn't function but someone providing their own trail network has little need for the app. How much better would it have been if all people that contributed information (i'm sure they know who did what) before the paywall, were awarded a free annual usage, or two states a year or one? It's a digital volunteer trail digging then being charged to ride. But as said, if you go to a foreign trail network you get tons of information about great trails and that is defiantly worth a charge and one I don't have any problems with.
they do offer free subscriptions to trail associations:

Is Trailforks free for trail associations?

Non-profit trail association board of directors that are setup as local region admins on Trailforks can get a free Trailforks Pro subscription. Only 5 free active subscriptions per trail association are allowed. You also must have at least 10 Trailforks contribute points, meaning you have helped contribute some data to the platform.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Trails hidden previously by TF admins are now visible due to the new heat map overlay option on TF.

There is much disgruntlement.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I’m glad there is some compensation. I don’t agree with it but that’s my opinion and not necessary, they did do something I wasn’t aware.

they do offer free subscriptions to trail associations:

Is Trailforks free for trail associations?

Non-profit trail association board of directors that are setup as local region admins on Trailforks can get a free Trailforks Pro subscription. Only 5 free active subscriptions per trail association are allowed. You also must have at least 10 Trailforks contribute points, meaning you have helped contribute some data to the platform.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
it also sounds like you may not have used the app. illegal trails generally don't show up there, regional admins still have to approve trails that are added. and the app even has an icon for parking areas. it's like they can put useful information in the app, including things like condition reports, difficulty levels, any features, recommended direction, if a trail is multi use, etc.
You are right, I am not using it. I just checked Blackrock OR and there is no information on the issues with Camp Tapawingo regarding no nudity while changing in the parking lot, no loud music and no speeding down the access road. Maybe this is not as touchy of a subject anymore, but years ago it was and one of the first things folks warned you about. I know, N=1, but that is a legal trail system with access issues I am aware of.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Trails hidden previously by TF admins are now visible due to the new heat map overlay option on TF.

There is much disgruntlement.
But, but, but....it is so convenient to use when I travel and never harmed any trails. ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
believe it or not, there's not a LBS for every trail network. and when traveling these days I typically have my kids and don't have an extra hour+ to blow to go bro down at a bike shop. i'd rather spend that time actually riding.
Ruining other people's work and fun just to have fun yourself. Sounds about right for today's society. :disgust: