Quantcast

So....Pinkbike is going to be monetised...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There is a no riding in the wet culture in the US that doesn’t exist in Europe.
Some of the trails here are flat and drain so poorly that they become unrideable mud pits when it rains. There's one trail network by me where it is such a problem they had to resort to closing the trails for the winter, usually late November/December through typically April. Part of that issue is the freeze/thaw cycle.

Not all trails have this problem. It's a trail/region specific thing.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Over here, the trails are seasonally only closed to bikes. Hikers, dog walkers, horses == no restrictions, even if they create the worst mess. It's all political bullshit.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
For me, the soil is so sandy, it only gets better in the wet. Yeah, there's some clay and mud. But it's not bad. Totally manageable. Some trails are worse than others, I get that. They didn't close the trails before, now they do. Why?

I bring it up again, if I pay to ride these trails, where is my money going? You'd think to trail maintenance....and the ability to ride in the wet...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The soil at my closest local spot turns into peanut butter after a hard rain. There's no worry about anyone ruining the trails because there's no way to get to them - your fork/frame will fill with mud and stop your tires within 100 yards of the parking lot.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The soil at my closest local spot turns into peanut butter after a hard rain. There's no worry about anyone ruining the trails because there's no way to get to them - your fork/frame will fill with mud and stop your tires within 100 yards of the parking lot.
sounds a lot like snowshoe

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
We have this one spot with black volcanic soil that is completely no go after rain and not for the trail's sake. Your wheels just will not turn. The worst situation is starting a ride there, getting miles from the trailhead and then getting caught in a downpour. You'd need a fatbike frame and fork running 35mm tyres to make it more than a few metres at a time.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There are definitely some wet weather delicate flowers out there.

A lot of the trails I ride are thankfully good, if not better, when they are wet.

Though we have some spots that are all clay. If you ride them in the wet, you'll leave ruts that dry into a substance that resembled concrete. And you'll eat shit as that stuff is like riding on ice when its wet. See video evidence below, starting at 1:51, we had the pleasure of wet snowy trails. Twas a fun ride slide down :rofl:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
There are definitely some wet weather delicate flowers out there.

A lot of the trails I ride are thankfully good, if not better, when they are wet.

Though we have some spots that are all clay. If you ride them in the wet, you'll leave ruts that dry into a substance that resembled concrete. And you'll eat shit as that stuff is like riding on ice when its wet. See video evidence below, starting at 1:51, we had the pleasure of wet snowy trails. Twas a fun ride slide down :rofl:
The clay at Blue after a rain, FML that is death slick.

Mansfield sand needs the rain then it's great.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Where are you from? Yah Blue/Collingwood is not good in the rain. Thats where that video is from, you ever checked out that forest? Bigger descents in there than at Blue...

And yeah Mansfield/Dufferin is perfect in the rain!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Some of the worst mud/clay/shit of my life is from that "zone".

Pro Tip: Keep some water bottles in your car to squeeze the bottles to spray off your bike. Grocery store cheap water bottles work too. Just have a pocket knife or screw driver to poke a hole in the cap to get a good, high power spray.

Sometimes you have to spray off your bike before riding due to hitch mounted racks and mud spray from the muddy road. I think it was in Moab where we had to deploy that method. A rainy morning turned into an epic afternoon!

Rinse Kit is pretty cool too.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
There's gonna be a haggis review on Pinkbike now. Just you wait. Hopefully behind the paywall.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Horseshoe also rides better when wet. Need serious moisture to hold the sand together.
I have been caught in a downpour at Blue - Shot Glass is "fun" in a downpour, especially before they installed the catch nets. :eek: :nope:

<edit>

The Pines in is generally good after a good rain. Sandy and lost of pine duff. Turkey point is also very sandy, so good in the wet, some parts are better, however there are a couple parts that have significant clay content and are no-goes. Hydrocut is no-go after a good rain. That place can takes a few days to dry out.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Horseshoe also rides better when wet. Need serious moisture to hold the sand together.
I have been caught in a downpour at Blue - Shot Glass is "fun" in a downpour, especially before they installed the catch nets. :eek: :nope:

<edit>

The Pines in is generally good after a good rain. Sandy and lost of pine duff. Turkey point is also very sandy, so good in the wet, some parts are better, however there are a couple parts that have significant clay content and are no-goes. Hydrocut is no-go after a good rain. That place can takes a few days to dry out.
northumberland forest was also good, except for the poison ivy