Quantcast

So . . . relationships with coworkers?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Looks like I am going to end up dating one of my coworkers. Dunno how quiet I (we?) can keep it. Should I expect some friction with everyone else or what? Does it just depend on the group dynamic?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I dunno...Myself and Caitlin have worked at three of the same places without problems. Then again, we live together and get along pretty ****ing well, sooo...

I don't know if I'd get into a relationship with someone at work if your place of employment has under 5-10 people, or if you're liable to be working in close quarters with the person for the duration of your employment. Things could get messy if things in the relationship get messy, y'know?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
how old and where do you work?
that can be a world of difference.

if its an informal work enviroment and you are under 21, and you are not her boss, or like my friend´s grandpa used to say "dont put your peepee in the payroll" i dont see the problem.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
bjanga said:
Looks like I am going to end up dating one of my coworkers. Dunno how quiet I (we?) can keep it. Should I expect some friction with everyone else or what? Does it just depend on the group dynamic?
Photos please.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Is it a big place? If you won't interact much hit that but if you're in close proximity and you break up it would be hell for you and your other co-workers.

Jun 18, 2004
bjanga said:
Never listened to Leykis 101, have you?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Yeah . . . but I think she goes away to school at the end of the summer. I am going to tread lightly and feel my way around a bit, hopefully nothing hits the fan.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you have to directly interact with the person on a regular basis, it's a bad idea.

If you don't, and the company doesn't have any policies against it, go for it. Keep it low-key at work, though, nothing's worse than a couple of coworkers smooching in the hallway :dead: :p

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
18? wtf - you should have no restrictions, just have fun!!

at the job I had when I was 18, I dated or "had fun" with at least 5 of my coworkers

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
That's how I met the mrs. We were coworkers and she had candy at her desk. She knew what she was doing...

But of course, I work at place with more than a few employees so this kind of thing happened quite often.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If you're that young, you've got nothign holding you to anything. Go for it, have fun, but be respectful of the other people in the office.

If you were older and on a clear line for a high-level job, I might rethink it, but that's not the case for you.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
antimony said:
I met BV at work. We had a good time there... :evil: And no, you can't keep it quiet; people talk.
People talk? You mean girls talk. Unless your office is full of guys that are limp dicked bitches they won't give two sh*ts about all the office drama that is going around.

Go ahead and date the co-worker. Besides, its not like there is a shortage of jobs out there.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Polandspring88 said:
People talk? You mean girls talk.
Actually, no... I meant people talk. It was a fairly small town and, while girls may be more apt to gossip, both guys and girls talked about things. And anyway, it doesn't matter which sex does the talking, the point is that both sexes do the listening, so both male and female coworkers will find out.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
antimony said:
Actually, no... I meant people talk. It was a fairly small town and, while girls may be more apt to gossip, both guys and girls talked about things. And anyway, it doesn't matter which sex does the talking, the point is that both sexes do the listening, so both male and female coworkers will find out.
You are probably right. I'm just jaded from previous experiences.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
dogwonder said:
We were coworkers and she had candy at her desk. She knew what she was doing...
And how many of your co-workers took 'candy' from her desk before you? :devil::devil::devil:

And yeah, if you're young, go for it. You've got plenty of time later in life to be boring and not take chances.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
manhattanprjkt83 said:
how do you guys feel it will cost you your job?
I don't see how you could get fired for it (unless your company has some policy written against it), but if things don't work out, it can cause enough tension to make one/both of you WANT to leave.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jacksonpt said:
I don't see how you could get fired for it (unless your company has some policy written against it), but if things don't work out, it can cause enough tension to make one/both of you WANT to leave.
gotcha, i am in this boat right now...

Going pretty good. I think our company is based on their employees dating...

I'd say about 15-20% of our company is dating each other...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
how do you guys feel it will cost you your job?
There are a thousand ways it could go down. What if you break up with her and she turns out to have some stalker tendancies? What if she's a psycho and decides to scream harassment? What if one of you is really into the other one, and just can't be around them all the time after it's over?

There are lots of ways relationships can end. Often times, if everyone is mature and respectful, things will be fine afterwards. However, losing your job over it is a very real possibility if two people work in direct contact on a regular basis.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
binary visions said:
There are a thousand ways it could go down. What if you break up with her and she turns out to have some stalker tendancies? What if she's a psycho and decides to scream harassment? What if one of you is really into the other one, and just can't be around them all the time after it's over?

There are lots of ways relationships can end. Often times, if everyone is mature and respectful, things will be fine afterwards. However, losing your job over it is a very real possibility if two people work in direct contact on a regular basis.
:stupid: I dated a girl at a large company I used to work at. When things went south she filed a sexual harrassment claim against me trying to get me fired. It didn't work, but I did get reaasigned to another position, which was actually a good thing as it led to my current career. The attempted restraining order that followed a few months later was no fun ( that was denied too :) )

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
bjanga said:

Just be carefull about those emails on company networks:rolleyes: