Quantcast

So Splat's not the only one from the NE who rides in Jan (new bikes!)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
50 degrees and sunshine, coupled with two brand-spankin' new Konas equals one hell of a fun day at Vassar Farm and the discovery of a new technical trail adjacent to Vassar.

But first....after getting forked on my first build attempt (and finally picking up a Reba)...here's my King Kikapu:

Specs: King Kikapu frame, Fox Float RP3, Reba Team U-Turn, XT rear and shifts, Sram XGen front, Hayes Hydraulic disks HFX-9, Easton Monkeylite CT2 carbon bar, Easton EA50 Stem, Sun Black Eye Rims, Shimano Hubs

Rob's new XO bling:

The Dawg and his owner:

In the woods:

We hit some jumps and got a little air and some awesome speed off the giant berms as we played around in the "bowl."

3 hours, 4 sore legs, 2 dirty bikes and 2 grinning, mud-covered monkeys later:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
maxyedor said:
New bikes are one of the best things that could happen in anybody's life. That being said how do you like the reba?
The Reba's awesome. I never considered Rock Shoxx to be much good for some reason. My stupid preconcieved notion was set straight when I start asking racers, my LBS and reading great views about the shock. I was totally blown away by how plush it is, its snappy rebound and its lightness. I definitely made the right choice (and it made a wonderful anniversay gift ;) )

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
splat said:
Looks nice!!! was an awesome day for riding too!

So now how long did you spend cleaning the babies after the ride ?

How much Minor adjustments need to be made. Rob did you go trigger or twist Shift on the X-0 ?
I went with X9 triggers for the shifters. I may go to X.0 in the future, but I couldn't justify the cost of x.0 shifters right now.

Not many small adjustments need to be made. Her shock and fork needs a little extra air pressure, and she's got some cable stretch. Other than that, it was a very good ride.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
robdamanii said:
Her bike is also 6 pounds lighter and she's about 40 pounds lighter than me.

And on top of that, I'm just lazy and like to coast down things instead of pedal.
Is that why you have problems staying up on flat smooth straightaways?:p :p :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
bluebug32 said:
We also met a really cool guy who we always see riding at Vassar and he's trying to get us to enter a beginner's race with him. I'm not sure if I'm good enough for that yet!
Sure you are that is what beginer races are for, Beginers, not for people who train 24/7.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bluebug32 said:
We also met a really cool guy who we always see riding at Vassar and he's trying to get us to enter a beginner's race with him. I'm not sure if I'm good enough for that yet!

the masters of the mountain series...pro's 5, experts 4, sport 3 and beginners do 2 laps, and beginners do shortened laps compared to everyone else - you can EASILY handle it !

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
stinkyboy said:
What's wrong with this picture?

I suppose he could adjust the hydro brake line so it doesnt get exploded off by a stick.

Oh, and lose the spoke guard...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
I'd love to try racing, but I doubt I'm up to the challenge. Not with this heavy beast.
eh just do it. I tried one race and had my derailleur blow up about 100 yards down the trail - got so flustered I got a DNF, which sucked.

But since then I've done two 24 hour races as a member of 4 Monkeys and a Baboon and both have been fun. I'd still like to try to do at least one XC race before I keel over and croak. This summer perhaps.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
robdamanii said:
I'd love to try racing, but I doubt I'm up to the challenge. Not with this heavy beast.
Pvssy. :rolleyes: I did the 24-Hours of Dalton on my Dawg. (Which I can almost assure you is heavier than yours.)

You guys should BOTH to the beginner race. So much fun!