Quantcast

So, that Marzocchi Roco...

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
1,129
0
Helena, MT
...are they a decent shock? I ride a 5th on my VP-Free right now, but I'm looking for something that makes the rear end of the bike not feel dead. I was wondering if anyone had ridden one of these shocks yet. I keep looking at them as a good reason to buy a new shock, but can't decide between it and a DHX.
 

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
1,129
0
Helena, MT
Not only that, but I figured this is a decent place to ask a question like that - heck, there's already '06 stuff for sale in the B&S forum.
 

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
13,830
0
Victoria, BC
ok so say they're available now...you want someone to give an informed opinion after less than 2 weeks of riding???....D
 

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
1,129
0
Helena, MT
BMXman said:
ok so say they're available now...you want someone to give an informed opinion after less than 2 weeks of riding???....D
Look, I'm sure there are quite a few people who post in this forum that have ridden/been exposed to this shock. And in spite of their limited experiences with it, I just wanted to see what they had to say about the shock.
 
Sep 10, 2001
834
0
Radarr said:
I talked to the guys at Marzocchi this week and they said they are available. :think:
Really??? Damn, somebody is holding out on me.... The only things we have had at Marz USA are some samples... I have a frame waiting for a shock.. But, going off an email forwarded to me from Italy, they are not too far off...

Brian
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
binary visions said:
Christ, every time I visit MTBR, I realize why I don't visit MTBR anymore.
I agree with that--I haven't been there in months. As for the Roco rear shock, give Marzocchi a call. I've been thinking about getting one myself, so I may try to give them a call today, as well. I kind of agree with you in regards to the 5th...
 

OGRipper

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2004
9,766
192
NORCAL is the hizzle
Radarr said:
...are they a decent shock? I ride a 5th on my VP-Free right now, but I'm looking for something that makes the rear end of the bike not feel dead. I was wondering if anyone had ridden one of these shocks yet. I keep looking at them as a good reason to buy a new shock, but can't decide between it and a DHX.

For what it's worth, a DHX coil will definitely give you a more lively feel on your vp-free. I had one on mine for a couple days at Whistler earlier this year and there was a huge difference between the dhx and 5th. Unfortunately, the one I rode blew out on the A-line rock drop. That was a surprise because most people I know have not had any problems.

The Rocco sounds great for lift or shuttle-assisted riding, but if you ever pedal up hills the on-the-fly propedal adjustment on the DHX makes it more versatile in my opinion. The DHX will give you the more active feel you seek and still let you run platform damping when you want.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,559
2,233
In my pants
Brian Peterson said:
Really??? Damn, somebody is holding out on me.... The only things we have had at Marz USA are some samples... I have a frame waiting for a shock.. But, going off an email forwarded to me from Italy, they are not too far off...

Brian
Sh1t man, there was a row of about a dozen of those things sitting on the workbench in your (marzocchis) trailer at whistler this summer.

I kept trying to slip one into my pocket but I have a turner. And turners don't like shocks that every other bike on the freakin planet uses..:D
 

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
14,097
1,524
Transylvania 90210
binary visions said:
Christ, every time I visit MTBR, I realize why I don't visit MTBR anymore.
DING!

yeah. it is slow. the thread format sux. and you have to read posts by JBsoxB and SMT :angry:

of course, i bet you could find someone there (or maybe even on pinkbike) who has some ride time on a shock that is not available to the public :nuts:
 
Sep 10, 2001
834
0
kidwoo said:
Sh1t man, there was a row of about a dozen of those things sitting on the workbench in your (marzocchis) trailer at whistler this summer.

I kept trying to slip one into my pocket but I have a turner. And turners don't like shocks that every other bike on the freakin planet uses..:D
I know... I am trying to find out if one of those is the size I need for my new bike...

Brian
 

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
1,129
0
Helena, MT
Brian Peterson said:
Really??? Damn, somebody is holding out on me.... The only things we have had at Marz USA are some samples... I have a frame waiting for a shock.. But, going off an email forwarded to me from Italy, they are not too far off...

Brian
It's someone in your warranty department who told me they were available. I called on the 4th of this month asking about how much it's going to cost to replace the steerer on my 66, and whether or not I could swing a crash replacement on it and get a Roco. He told me that they were available now.

In any case, thanks for setting the record straight.
 

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
1,129
0
Helena, MT
OGRipper said:
For what it's worth, a DHX coil will definitely give you a more lively feel on your vp-free. I had one on mine for a couple days at Whistler earlier this year and there was a huge difference between the dhx and 5th. Unfortunately, the one I rode blew out on the A-line rock drop. That was a surprise because most people I know have not had any problems.

The Rocco sounds great for lift or shuttle-assisted riding, but if you ever pedal up hills the on-the-fly propedal adjustment on the DHX makes it more versatile in my opinion. The DHX will give you the more active feel you seek and still let you run platform damping when you want.
My roommate has a DHX on his Free, and it feels awesome. The thing that keeps going through my head, though, is that with the VP-Free, it has all that VPP nonsense, so why would it need a stable-platform shock? The rear suspension is supposed to be isolated from the action of pedaling with that design. In reality, I know that there's going to be pedal bob if I'm riding up a hill. But the way the frame is designed, wouldn't it make sense to mate it with a shock like the Roco?
 

OGRipper

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2004
9,766
192
NORCAL is the hizzle
Radarr said:
My roommate has a DHX on his Free, and it feels awesome. The thing that keeps going through my head, though, is that with the VP-Free, it has all that VPP nonsense, so why would it need a stable-platform shock? The rear suspension is supposed to be isolated from the action of pedaling with that design. In reality, I know that there's going to be pedal bob if I'm riding up a hill. But the way the frame is designed, wouldn't it make sense to mate it with a shock like the Roco?
Well, I am a big fan of vpp bikes and especially the free, but there is still some benefit to having propedal. It really comes down to how you ride: If you occasionally ride up or do any kind of rolling trails, I would say get the DHX. If has a super plush and active feel if you run without any propedal, but also the option to tighten things up a bit on the fly. If you will do nothing but lift-assist and shuttles, then yeah I would check out the Rocco. Full disclaimer: I have never ridden a Rocco and am basing this opinion on the few riding impressions I have read.
 

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
As far as the feel of the Roco goes, it is really really nice. I have only ridden one briefly but it felt bottomless and VERY smooth. I understand that there will be a lighter version with an aluminum shaft and body that will weigh a hair less than a DHX coil. I can't really comment on the longevity at this point but knowing Marzocchi it should be worthy of the "Bomber" nameplate.
 

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
6,257
7
Reno 911
punkassean said:
As far as the feel of the Roco goes, it is really really nice. I have only ridden one briefly but it felt bottomless and VERY smooth. I understand that there will be a lighter version with an aluminum shaft and body that will weigh a hair less than a DHX coil. I can't really comment on the longevity at this point but knowing Marzocchi it should be worthy of the "Bomber" nameplate.
:drool: Me....want...shock...bad:drool:

It was fun getting some Knapps runs in last week, we'll have to do it again Sean:)
 

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
9,747
2,094
AK
binary visions said:
Christ, every time I visit MTBR, I realize why I don't visit MTBR anymore.
Then hang around for a few more years.

After a while, you'll see that all the sites are not that much different.
 

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
Zark said:
:drool: Me....want...shock...bad:drool:

It was fun getting some Knapps runs in last week, we'll have to do it again Sean:)
Got two Knapps and one Romero in today, the dirt was awesome. What are you up to tomorrow? I am always down to ride....
 

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
21,666
434
NC
Jm_ said:
Then hang around for a few more years.

After a while, you'll see that all the sites are not that much different.
Huh? I've been on MTBR for 6 years (maybe more. I was posting on there in high school), lurked here for a year or so before I joined, and joined here in 2002.

I've lurked on the Pinkbike and NSMB forums as well for several years.

This is still the best forum I've ever belonged to.
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
binary visions said:
Huh? I've been on MTBR for 6 years (maybe more. I was posting on there in high school), lurked here for a year or so before I joined, and joined here in 2002.

I've lurked on the Pinkbike and NSMB forums as well for several years.

This is still the best forum I've ever belonged to.

I completely agree but sometimes it can get out of hand.