Quantcast

So, This could be bad.......

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I just took a ~250 mile road trip. on the way down, we smelled a slight burning/melting. I could nto for the life of me figure out what it was. I had one of my seats folded down in my Pathfinder, and where it was folded down seemed abnormally warm to me. I thought, whatever, I'll fix it when I get back. So.... I just unpacked my stuff, opened the bag that my printer was in, that was sitting on the abnormally warm spot, and that smell totally hit me. I looked at the bottom of my printer, all the plastic is melted, and some of it melted away! WTF?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You may have lost a heat shield on your exhaust, or you are unwittingly transporting nuclear materials for a terrorist organization.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Yeah man, that definitely sounds like a missing heat shield problem. Years ago I had a Prelude with a missing heat shield and the carpet almost caught fire it got so f***ing hot.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Yep. Inside my RX-7 I would rest my right leg against the center divider. It would get really warm. Some times just plain hot. I replaced the pre-cat with a downpipe instead. The heat went bye bye, and I picked up some ponies at the same time.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
BAH! measly 5", why not go to a 6" for true pimp status?

Seriously, the cat is probably clogged up as others have suggested, that is most likely the culprit. It could also be that you should have bought a 4Runner though :D

Don't go asking the dealer for a new cat, it will be like $600. Just go to a muffler shop and get a "hi-flow" cat off the shelf for about $200 and have them weld it in.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
On my Go Ped, there is a tub where the exhast runs through the frame and out the rear to silence it. I took that thing off a ran it straight. It might be a little louded but it doesnt rob my performance anymore. Just get a whole new muffler set.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
punkassean said:
BAH! measly 5", why not go to a 6" for true pimp status?

Seriously, the cat is probably clogged up as others have suggested, that is most likely the culprit. It could also be that you should have bought a 4Runner though :D

Don't go asking the dealer for a new cat, it will be like $600. Just go to a muffler shop and get a "hi-flow" cat off the shelf for about $200 and have them weld it in.

I took it in today, and its actually the Muffler under the truck. It's broken at the seam. In Virginia, you are not allowed to weld to a muffler (don't know if you can in any other states) and since my Nissan is so special, I have a dual in single out muffler, so instead of $80, its $180 :dead:

The whole thing is goign to be fixed for just under $400, but at least its not a 4Runner :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
BigMike said:
The whole thing is goign to be fixed for just under $400, but at least its not a 4Runner :D
That's more than I've spent repairing my 4runner in the 4+ years I've owned it, and that includes brake pads, 2 rotors, 4 tires, and a starter rebuild.

:eviltongu

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
DßR said:
That's more than I've spent repairing my 4runner in the 4+ years I've owned it, and that includes brake pads, 2 rotors, 4 tires, and a starter rebuild.

:eviltongu
wha? you are buying tires for how much? i didn't know 4runners took 165/65R13 meats... (my 31"s cost about $115 a piece iirc)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Toshi said:
wha? you are buying tires for how much? i didn't know 4runners took 165/65R13 meats... (my 31"s cost about $115 a piece iirc)
haha, that was technically cheating... I got 'em as take-offs from my bud who was upgrading his 'Burban to some serious meat, cost me $50/ea.

I had BFG A/T 31's on there before but wasn't down with dropping 8 bills or whatever on a new set right before driving out to Whistler!

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
BUCKET said:
the carpet almost caught fire it got so f***ing hot.
one time i accidentally caught the carpet on fire in my room when i tried to build a satelite dish to listen to nasa. i just hooked a vegetable steemer, radio antenna, and computer speaker together with duct tape and copper wire. then i connected that to the outlet with more copper wire, and went around, checking the joints. found a loose, pushed it down, duct tape actually exploded, and a spark caught my carpet on fire.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Yeah, definitely. They were on there up until like this time last year, but the tread was about 1/16" deep so I bought some spares off Colin.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
flatulant_man said:
one time i accidentally caught the carpet on fire in my room when i tried to build a satelite dish to listen to nasa. i just hooked a vegetable steemer, radio antenna, and computer speaker together with duct tape and copper wire. then i connected that to the outlet with more copper wire, and went around, checking the joints. found a loose, pushed it down, duct tape actually exploded, and a spark caught my carpet on fire.

That sounds really dumb. Why the hell would you want to listen to nasa anyway? :think: :p

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
yeh to my knowledge a clogged cat wont do that. ive seen some really bad i mean really bad cats. you would deffinatly classify these things as clogged and they never created extra heat.the only prob a clogged cat does is robs you of much needed exahaust flow so you rob a little bit of your hp.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Think about what you just wrote....

If the exhaust flow is impeded by the clogged cat then where do you think all that exhaust that isn't getting out of the exhaust system is going? And what about all that extra heat associated with said restricted exhaust???