Quantcast

so this guy comes into the shop today...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
and he says, "Yeah, i really just wanted to see if you guys could tell me how much my bike is worth. it's an old Klein...any of you guys know about Kleins?"

so i'm thinking like the old Kleins that have the press-fit bottom brackets. i look around the corner and see this MINT Mantra Pro. i say "holy crap" and a huge grin takes over my face. the guy thinks i'm talking about the paint job and starts saying something about it being the special paint. no no. i'm talking about the MINT XTR group ('99 or so. 952 cranks, etc) and the MINT Bonty (rebadged King) wheelset.

myself and this other wrench are rather astonished with the condition of the bike. ZERO corrosion...this thing looked as though it just came off the sales floor. the man said his son rode the bike once, then boxed it up. apparently the son passed away, and the man just found the bike, now looking to sell it. 1 scuff on the entire frame. crazy.

oddly enough, another guy came in to pick up his full Dura Ace equipped Seven Axiom. i was saying that the bike was a hell of a bike, and he says "yeah, you know...i had no clue what it was. it was my fathers, and he passed away. i'm a mountain biker and i know XTR. i had no idea what this Dura Ace stuff was, so i had to call the shop and ask what this kind of bike sold for. boy was i surprised."

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Check this out: a buddy of mine from high school worked really hard all freshman year to buy a Mantra. He buys one, then goes to Sea Otter two months later, and wins a second, IDENTICAL Mantra in a raffel. Huh.

So is our friend going to sell the Mantra? Me thinks that he should hold onto it for another ten years or so, it'll be worth way more, and he can just put it back in the box. Or he could give me all the parts, minus frame and fork, for muh Bontrager.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
one of my friends had a perfect condition san andreas, (like from the first batch) and he had never used it and it sold on ebay for like 3 grand give or take. but it was killer.