Quantcast

So this is what I spent over $1 million dollars for. (Sequence update)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Julie put this in Power point to see the progress so far. The house was being textured today and the cabinets get installed in 2 weeks:thumb:

It's starting to take shape:)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
So how much renovation do you have to put in on top of $1 000 000?
Remodeling the kitchen, family room, moved the furnace to the attic, moved the laundry room. added can lights in almost every room. House is wired for stereo in the backyard and garage. Home theater was wired so the stereo components are now in the stairway closet, pre-wire for a Plasma TV over the fireplace. The house was totally dated. Believe it or not it was a good buy for this house. I'm hoping to do it all for under $175K when all is said & done.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Where's the ladders and ramps? I thought you were building Brian's Indoor Freeride Park of Livermore?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dh girlie said:
so whens the house warming party? just make sure it is after snowboard season. we are in tahoe chillin after a SICK...and I mean SICK day of layin fresh tracks allll mother f'n day! Goin back 2morro!
Hopefully in June

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
my buddy has a nice house but when he built it he left the living room floor bare unfinished so he could bring his TP engineering projects inside and not have to worry about ruining the carpet/floor.
but of course his house was on the lower side of 150g. at that price they could be almost disposable for you.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The Toninator said:
my buddy has a nice house but when he built it he left the living room floor bare unfinished so he could bring his TP engineering projects inside and not have to worry about ruining the carpet/floor.
but of course his house was on the lower side of 150g. at that price they could be almost disposable for you.
A disposable house:think: I like that idea:cool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
Pfft... :rolleyes:

Mr. Clean bets you $5k he could remodel it better and faster than you!
I'd lose, I'm doing excellent in the "real world" at 2 months to the day to get this far. But with the Mr. Clean challenge he'd have it done in 3 weeks.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Jeremy R said:
We are building a house from scratch.
No pics yet. We are getting ready for the insulation this week.
Oh yeah, I'm in SC, and that ain't for So Cal.:)
Very cool!!!!! We thought about doing that, but the land here is WAY too much $. Get some pics!!!! Lets here some descriptions.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Brian HCM#1 said:
Very cool!!!!! We thought about doing that, but the land here is WAY too much $. Get some pics!!!! Lets here some descriptions.
Oh I can imagine.
We bought the land a few years back to build on.
My wife runs "The Real Estate Book" for our area, so she was always keeping an eye out on land for us. We ended up getting 5 wooded acres for like $25,000 or so.
And my brother in law is our builder which is the ONLY reason we are getting to build a house like this and customize it.
But yeah, I will get pics soon.:)
Good luck on your renovations.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Jeremy R said:
Oh I can imagine.
We bought the land a few years back to build on.
My wife runs "The Real Estate Book" for our area, so she was always keeping an eye out on land for us. We ended up getting 5 wooded acres for like $25,000 or so.
And my brother in law is our builder which is the ONLY reason we are getting to build a house like this and customize it.
But yeah, I will get pics soon.:)
Good luck on your renovations.
WOW, thats awesome, 5 great buildable acres here would probably go for 2-3 million for the lot alone.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
Any idea what power/water etc costs to get run? Rough ballpark.
If they have to tap into the street it's between $25-35K for the hookup, sewer is like $5-8K and I'm not sure what gas/electric is. Some places it's already at the curb, which definitely cuts the costs dramatically.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Interesting. I guess how far they have to pull cable/trench has an effect on pricing. Last I heard power was about $5/ft to run + the vaults every 2000ft if necessary.

I am looking at some stuff now, would need power and water run as it is unimproved land. I woudl also need perk tests done and a septic field designed.

It's affordable until I factor in the cost of the water/power run it looks like, unfortunately.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
Where in Canada are you again? Sounds like it's time to buy a couple houses.
Montreal. The suburbs are dirt cheap here as long as you don't want a mcmansion. Mid 70s build houses are going for 89k+ Average is about 110/120

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
Interesting. I guess how far they have to pull cable/trench has an effect on pricing. Last I heard power was about $5/ft to run + the vaults every 2000ft if necessary.

I am looking at some stuff now, would need power and water run as it is unimproved land. I woudl also need perk tests done and a septic field designed.

It's affordable until I factor in the cost of the water/power run it looks like, unfortunately.
The best thing to do if you don't own property now is at least buy something and get in the ballgame. If your market is decent, build a little equity over a few years then maybe look to build something.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Transcend said:
Any idea what power/water etc costs to get run? Rough ballpark.
Transcend,
Our water setup cost was $1600, and our power setup was only $100. If we lived in a neighborhood, the water setup would have been $600.
I don't know the price of what the plumber charged us to run water to the house as we don't have that bill yet.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Jeremy R said:
Transcend,
Our water setup cost was $1600, and our power setup was only $100. If we lived in a neighborhood, the water setup would have been $600.
I don't know the price of what the plumber charged us to run water to the house as we don't have that bill yet.
About how much is it costing you to build your house?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
About how much is it costing you to build your house?
Who knows, it keeps accidently getting bigger.
I'll let you know when its all said and done.
As far as all those acres being buildable, they were not.
Our land has a creek running through it with steep banks about 1/3 into our land, so it kind of divides up our property. But we are only going to use our land to put our house, and then the rest is all for trails and DJ's.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brian, that is exactly what I plan on doing. I need to spend the $ now and get the land. The first plot I was looking at just sold out from under me this AM. It was incredibly underpriced as the owner was leaving the country for good. Oh well.

MMike - who the hell wants to live on the island? The land I am looking at is all in Riguad. Also, Dr Wiggins says hello.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
Brian, that is exactly what I plan on doing. I need to spend the $ now and get the land. The first plot I was looking at just sold out from under me this AM. It was incredibly underpriced as the owner was leaving the country for good. Oh well.

MMike - who the hell wants to live on the island? The land I am looking at is all in Riguad. Also, Dr Wiggins says hello.
That sucks, good luck with finding something.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brian HCM#1 said:
That sucks, good luck with finding something.
Thanks, it was an acre going for 13k, on the backside of a small ski hill ($.30/ft). Most of the other stuff is about $1.10 a foot, not sure I can afford the 45k for land alone at this point. I woulda dropped 13k cash to have that land.

I refuse to live in the city/suburbs anymore, so I am willing to sacrifice some to get out into the sticks. Funny that you need to pay more to have less services and less convenience.:rolleyes: