Quantcast

So this showed up today...

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Sweet!

What company are you using? My wife and I have built a 2' by 4' CNC router table using parts from, of all things, CNCrouterparts.com. We are still learning CAD and CAM tho, and have not made anything on it yet. I've thought about getting a plasma cutter for it, but we primarily make electric guitars from wood so I'm not sure what I'd do with a plasma cutter except have fun.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The gantry is from a company called Precision Plasma. They sell a bunch of different complete gantries and provide plans for the frame. I'll be building the frame myself. The electronics/motors/software are coming from a company called CandCNC. They basically bundle a whole package and have a few options. Sounds like they are symbiotic companies and provide business for each other.

From my research, it seems quite a few companies use their electronics to build turnkey tables. They do exactly what I'm doing for myself and price accordingly. I'm building a 4x8' table because it really wasn't much more expensive than a small table. I really want to make this work for some side income, hence deciding to go with a bigger table. Once I get it set up, I want to add another axis to do tube cutting as well as adding a plate marker. I'm building a water tray as well to control the fumes/smoke.

Are you using Mach3 for your controller? I bought the software package with Mach3 and Sheetcam. I'm using Adobe Illustrator to draw out stuff. There are some good youtube tutorials.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'll make anything you want :D

Upgraded to this the other day. Should be good for 1" steel pushing it and do 1/2" like butter.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm going to get some demos on other software. I've just been playing with AI right now because I have it already.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I love DIY stuff. Is there some sort of micro controller that runs that badboy or does it all come from a PC? I would be interested in a smaller version of that

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I love DIY stuff. Is there some sort of micro controller that runs that badboy or does it all come from a PC? I would be interested in a smaller version of that
I'm using an electronics package from a company called CandCNC. While, with enough research, I'm sure I could build everything myself, I would like to get it done this century, as I plan to use it to make some money. While they are separate companies, the gantry and electronics are geared for each other. I think the gantry was designed around the CandCNC electronics. Many other companies actually use the electronics package and assemble everything to sell turn key tables.

The smallest table Precision Plasma offers is designed for a 4x4'. There are other companies that do smaller if you really just want a hobby machine to cut out personal stuff. Torchmate has good customer support and they offer a 2x2 table that can be upgraded to a 2x4 or 4x4. You can actually buy the refurbished 2x2s on sale that they take back in on trade for people that upgrade.

http://www.torchmatestore.com/Refurbished-2x2-table-top-system-special-promotion_p_3105.html

To answer your question, the CandCNC comes with everything you need. You basically use an old computer and load a program called Mach3 (there are others as well) to act as your controller. This controls a brain that is hooked to all the motors and the plasma cutter. The nice thing about their electronics is it comes standard with height control so you don't have to babysit the machine while it runs. This also allows for the independent setting of pierce and cut height to get the best cut quality and consumable life.

I still need to build the water table (which is really the last thing I need). I got my machine torch today, so technically the machine should cut, but I don't have a way to support the work. I'll be working on that this weekend. I also plan on adding a plate marker. Here's an example of plasma cutting with a plate marker. (just random off the web)

I have a build thread on Garage Journal if anyone is interested.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199565

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey kazzle i need a der hanger for a frame from a defunct company. think you could make it happen? its a fairly straightforward design.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds cool...
Think of it as a computer controlled jigsaw. It cuts with an electric arc and compressed air instead of a blade, but the result is the same.

hey kazzle i need a der hanger for a frame from a defunct company. think you could make it happen? its a fairly straightforward design.
I'd at least give it a shot. Hit me with some specs.

Last edited: