Quantcast

So, tomorrow I might have to decide on my job situation for the next 10+ years.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
About a month ago I was contacted by a headhunter to fill a mid-level position at a major japanese multinational where I have worked before (15-10 years ago)
Went thru 3 rounds of interviews and was given an offer. Only problem is they lowballed the hell out of me. 30% less than my asking, or about the same (+/-10%) am making at my current job. The job market is really bad in my business since the lockdowns (plus, from my years there, I remember they arent the best paying company out there), thus why I imagine the offer.
Told them initially I couldnt take less than what I make right now, but a couple days later the headhunter scheduled a meeting between me and HR for tomorrow at noon to discuss total compensation.

Before COVID, I had a C-level job and was paid about twice as much as I do now. Things are a bit tight since then, but I can manage my finances at my current income level.
I currently work for a small family-owned company selling a mid-tier machinery brand and chinese trucks. The company is over 20 years old, but isnt in great financial position. I work mon-fri, my boss is great, stress is low and I think am doing a great job here (great numbers, etc), although I have only been 9 months I have already talked with my boss about being made a partner (so far we have discussed starting a new company with a $300k capital loan from him, with 50-50 ownership) based on my performance so far. This has a lot of potential (and risk), since I estimate I could do about 30% gross anual returns on that investment for the first 4-5 years.
Thing is, it would be thru a loan with not interest and no payment-due date set for a few years... so I would own 50% of all profits, but would also take on debt if the company fails (very unlikely, as the inventory is spare parts that I could wholesale at cost in the worst case scenario). The upside of this is I might make $400-500k equity over the next 5-6 years if things go right, on top of my salary.
Thing is, its a small company with a non-zero risk of going under and a very, very high turnover, plus I would have to actually perform and do the 30% return a year (which means a lot of stress) and I could end up without a job in a few years.

On the other hand, the japanese company is huge. 150 years old and 45k employees worldwide and is the market leader by far.
Their offer could include remote work (3 days office-2 days remote + 2 saturdays a month for 4 hours), and they have offered a "indefinite contract" (legally means I cant be fired unless they have a good reason), which pretty much means, by law and the culture of the company, I would be guaranteed a job for the next 10-15 years (unless I fuck up majorly). Most of my friends from 10-15 years ago are still there. Am 40 years old, so there is a non-zero chance this could be my "retirement" job. A job like this at this company only surfaces every 5-7 years or so.
The downside? Chances for raises are slim (thats why I left 10 years ago), might be more stressful than current job. Would have to work 2 saturdays a month. Chances of getting back to a C-level job are slim as well (not that it interests me, btw. I prefer the no-stress).

What would RM do? Gross salary between both would closely matched if things go according to plan tomorrow.
Roll the dice on the current small company for the chance of ownership in the new business, or take the sustainability and low risk of the japanese company?

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would go with the job that give you the most joy. The one where you hopefully look forward going to work and doing something cool if possible. The compensation should come second to that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't really have any input, as that's a heavy decision.

But, you already left that company once. Even though you are confident you'll be able to keep that job for well into the future, it sounds like you're hesitant based on the workload, pay and lack of opportunities. You left once no reason you can't leave that job again, just sayin'.

Personally, I would take whichever option is relatively safe, as in not going tits up in a few months and one that provides and low stress workplace and a good balance on letting you actually live your life, not be worked to death.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I'd personally go with the Japanese company, as there are too many unknowns in your current company's trajectory for my liking.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Working for other people sucks. Working for yourself sucks even more UNLESS you are doing something you absolutely love.

Choose the job with the best compensation to stess ratio.

As for the partnership opportunity, unless you have a business plan and a signed charter or contract, I am not sure it makes sense to include it in your decision making process…

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
non-shitty commute
job satisfaction
pay/benefits

adjust accordingly

(contents may shift during transit)

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I worked for the industrial side of Casio for 5 years. Disrespected due to race for 5 years. If I leave a company, I leave a company. With the Japanese they are so locked down in the company culture that they can't get out of their own way even if the new way is shown to be more profitable. Also move for a pay cut? no way in hell unless the job was going to make me happy as hell and seriously enhance my lifestyle. also on that 50/50 partnership can you live off of and still invest in growing the company with what would come out of your share of the net? Make sure that how company money will be used to pay bills and grow it is firmly in writing as is who gets to make those decisions if you go that route

I almost bought a company years ago until I read the contract that the original owner was still to get a a sizeable chunk of the gross...hell no. a portion of the net maybe but never on the gross sales

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Something to consider when you start a new business is that you have no guarantees that your partner will work as hard as you do. And you will end up working way more than you thought. It will become your entire life, especially in the beginning. Remember that old saying, “why work 40 hours a week when you can work 80 for yourself” ? But if it succeeds then the benefits will come.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t.

It is hard for us to view this from your perspective, but my quick read impression is that neither job is a clear favorite in your eyes. If the pros and cons are fairly balanced for each job I’d be inclined to stay put. The low ball offer from the new job and the Saturday work schedule would get ye olde eyebrow raise from me.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
So, they matched my asking. Went thru the benefits, which are nice.
I think am 80% positive I`ll jump ship. The idea of working there until retirement is appealing to me.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That would be a tough call for me, but our laws are different. Just before the pandemic I was wondering for a small local company that had just got bought by an 800# gorilla. Things were ok until they laid a bunch of folks off. The previous company had never done a layoff, but the larger company does that all the time. Buy a smaller shop, lay off at least 30% and take the technology.

Now I'm back to a small company (18 folks I think). Is it financially secure for the next 10-15? I hope so, but who knows. But here my impact is meaningful and I feel valued. I've always preferred smaller shops, but that's my deal.

Best of luck @ALEXIS_DH and celebrate with hookers and blow.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Staying with a company because they promise to make you a partner later is sketchy. Thats called dangling a carrot and wouod have me looking for the door.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Staying with a company because they promise to make you a partner later is sketchy. Thats called dangling a carrot and wouod have me looking for the door.
It was actually a bit more defined than that, just didnt expand on that because of time. We had way more than just a talk.
We went thru a business plan, went over some estimates, defined the seed capital amount and I even got on a international trip last week (all expenses paid obviously) to meet and sort out suppliers and come up with a more tangible estimate to define the scope of the partnership contract.
Next step (which was coming in the next few weeks)¨was the contract/legal part.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Well thats a bit different. Theres still the aspect of getting in on the ownership but not having control and watching the other partners trainwreck the business. I've experienced a family business making business moves to make family members feel important even if it causes a stumble in the operations. Nobody wants to hold cards but watch the card table catch on fire.