Quantcast

so.. Trials

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
I am primarily a street/downhill/freeride type. I watch videos and see that most people have the moves because they started in trials. I currently have a specialized p2 cromo singlespeed 07 and I'm wondering how i could either make it more trials esque or what is a good trials set up for a beginner?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
observedtrials.net is a good trials forum.

in terms of making your bike "trials-y", a low gear ratio, something close to 1:1 (like 22x18 or thereabouts). make your suspension stiff if you have any, i'd recommend rigid fork. also, reallllllllllly strong brakes. learn to be very aware of your body's position on/over the bike, and most importantly, your center of gravity.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
so I've been hopping around on my back wheel for a few weeks, now I've moved up to hopping up steps on the rear wheel. I'm working on hopping up to ledges at about 2 feet. Sometimes I can land on the bash and keep my balance, sometimes I catch the tire and claw up the rest of the way, and sometimes I just tip over and bail. It's still fun and I'm still learning.

Alice's

Chimp
Dec 26, 2007
for make good trials or good moves the experience it's the only thing for accomplish that, work hard and continue watching and practice.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
so I've been re-learning laws of balance and physics the hard way. Here I am realizing what center of gravity means, and what a relaxed grip on a brake lever can do. Photo props: my sister

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
well tonight I had the joy of putting a helicoil in the brake mount on my fork. I noticed that none of the brake bolts had any grease on them, and were only engaging by a few threads. So I decided that removing them systematically applying grease, and reinstalling would be the proper thing to do. But no. So far the score is:

Echo; 13748901234789
Me;3

I can pogo on the rear wheel until I get tired now, so I guess it isn't all bad.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Both of the trials frames that I had with rim brakes wound up getting Helicoils for all of the threads. After stripping out the first one, I just did it to the second one knowing that it would eventually need it anyway, and that the steel threads were much more trustworthy.