Quantcast

so what are people running for cranks these days?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm looking for cranks for an upcoming bike. what are you guys using for a non-weight-weenie, beefy-XC/ trail crank setup?

FSA V-Drive MegaExo?
RF Deus X-Type?
XT?

i'm looking on the beefier side of things. perhaps maybe Saints...not really sure yet.

(i haven't bought XC cranks since my Turbine LPs 5yrs ago...which i looooove)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
XTR Super stiff, light. The finish is ragged to hell but that doesn't bother me. The XT is a good value. Lots of the DH crowd are running them as they are beefy enough and don't need or want the extra saint weight.

Definately go with the outboard bearing design.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
robdamanii said:
Hone maybe? Supposedly a hollowtech version of the Saint crank, and so far, I've heard good things about it on the trail.

Otherwise maybe something like raceface ride XC?
oh yeah, i forgot about Hones.

also, everyone, how is this outboard bearing stuff holding up? personally, i never had a problem with ISIS (been using the same RF Sig XS for a few years...just needed some new grease)

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I have a pair of Northshore DH cranks on my Bullit, and although I ride trails with those I think they are overkill for your applications. I have ridden a pair of ISIS Shimano LX Hollowtech cranks and they seem to be holding up just nicely. Not having ridden any of the other cranksets you mentioned I cannot comment on those.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I too run the new XT's on my Heckler which sees lots of "aggressive trail" riding. I think I have tightened the pinch bolts once in 6 months (there was some creaking). They are noticeably stiffer then a traditional splined/BB set-up.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
the Inbred said:
oh yeah, i forgot about Hones.

also, everyone, how is this outboard bearing stuff holding up? personally, i never had a problem with ISIS (been using the same RF Sig XS for a few years...just needed some new grease)
I have replaced it once in two years. The odd thing was that I didn't notice it until I took the cranks off to put a new chain ring on.

They aren't serviceble but they are also not expensive.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I have Truvative Stylo Teams on one bike, and Race Face Turbines (1996 vintage or so) on my other.

I also have not had a problem with the ISIS non outboard bearings.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
MMMMMmmmmmmm...........Race Face NS on my mt bike. :drool: I also run Race Face on my tandem. If I could afford it right now I'd probably put RF on my trials bike too.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
the Inbred said:
i'm looking for cranks for an upcoming bike. what are you guys using for a non-weight-weenie, beefy-XC/ trail crank setup?

FSA V-Drive MegaExo?
RF Deus X-Type?
XT?

i'm looking on the beefier side of things. perhaps maybe Saints...not really sure yet.

(i haven't bought XC cranks since my Turbine LPs 5yrs ago...which i looooove)

Race Face Atlas (X-type).

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Race Face Deus Xtype, on my 3rd Xtype BB
Middle Burns
Profiles
FSA Superlite Carbon Road cranks
North Shore DH
Next LPs
Profiles

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I personally am running the new xt's they are light as hell/strong/and accept a wide range of bash rings and rings (xtr doest). I would venture to say they are the best value in the industry, race face has this goofy tightning meathod, which i peronally dont like. The shimano system is solid with basically weak point. Get the Xt's.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The newer XTR's are really sweet, I have them on my XC bike...BUT I got reamed up the butt when buying new rings. Retail for the big ring along was $120!!

I have the new XT's on my heckler set up with a double and bash ring for light DH, jumping, and general silliness. So far they rock. The external set-ups are noticably stiffer (to me) and I'm pretty sure they are lighter too.

The BB's get crunchy pretty quick but you can keep running them regardless, and replacements are way cheaper than ISIS.

I have friends that have had a bunch of problems with the newer race face stuff - alignment and loose crank arms, mainly.

The external truvativs are getting good remarks from people I know and replacement rings should be cheaper than Shimano...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just get the XT's.
Proven.
Strong enough for pro level DH racing, and light enough for trail riding.
The Xt's are actually alot stiffer and stronger than some heavy duty setup like V-drives Extremes with Isis.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I have friends that have had a bunch of problems with the newer race face stuff - alignment and loose crank arms, mainly.
Good to know someone shares my pain. I can't get though 2 rides without the non-drive side crankbolt backing out. :mumble: :think: :stosh:

My next crankset may very well be the XT outboards.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've had one experience with Truvativ and wasn't impressed...at all. it was the Stylo SS. no me gusta.

maybe 2006 XTs will come in black...vain, i know, but i really don't like silver cranks.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i'm running xt's. i like them a lot for a few reasons. more or less b/c they are a fair amount cheaper than xtr. the rings on them seem to last a bit longer. for whatever reason the new xtr rings don't seem to last very long. ALSO you can only put the xtr rings on the xtr crank b/c of the way the arms are designed and the boltspacing. xt's are standard spacing and have a "normal" arm on them so you can get 4bolt rings from a few places if you decide you don't like the shimano rings.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, i did say non-weight-weenie meaning weight isn't much of an issue, but i don't want boat anchors (i.e. Profiles)

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i ran xt's all last year on my dh bike that i raced and rode everyday with otns of big drops and gaps thrown in and they held up fine

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I still think that Shimano is the best out there right now in terms of strength, bearing life, stiffness and price. I have older XT on my DH and XC bikes and Ultegra on the cyclocross.

J

JRB

Oh yeah - I run Turbine LPs. I run fsa platinum with good luck. I ran Truvativ gigapipes with not such good luck.