Quantcast

So, what bike do you race with?

Wolfspyder

Chimp
Feb 3, 2003
RVA
Down the road here I'd like to do some racing(a 24 hour race would be my long term goal). Currently I am riding a hardtail and want to get a FS in the worst way. I was going to get a Jamis XLT 2.0, but now I think I really want to get a lighter bike. Maybe get myself in the queue for a blur, or a racer-x/hammerhead, hmm maybe an epic.. so many choices...
I've not been to see a race yet either but am curious as to what you racer types like to ride...

So what kinda rig do you ride at race day?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I ride a 27 pound Jekyll. I'm thinking about taking a little weight off it with better cranks but overall I like the ride :thumb:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I ride my 2002 Cannondale F800 with about everything upgraded i realy don't think there's a bike i'd want more for normal XC racing. I also do lots of long ass races which if i had more money i'd have cannondale Scalple team or an Epic

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Santa Cruz Superlight with Fox Fork, SRAM shifting, Truvative Stylo Team cranks, King hubs laced to Valiant rims. Can't say enough about this bike.

Best suggestion I could make would be to find something that is comfortable and has a geometry that fits your riding, I personally like steeper head angles for faster handling. I wouldn't bother with any of the shorter travel XC bikes, go for 4" or so. There really is no additional weight penalty and if you want the efficiency of shorter travel just run more pressure in the rear shock to limit travel.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
a hammerhead and a Jamis arnt even in the same world together. i know the owner of HH and may people who race on them. Top notch quility and service and FULLY customizable.
btw i've been racing on a jamis dragon ht. 24 hour and regular norba type races. i havent been 24 solo yet but have plans for the near future.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I raced a Gary Fisher Sugar for 2 1/2 years, but I just bought a 2003 Trek Fuel100. After 2 rides and a race on it, all I can say is that it is...Bad ASS!! The suspension is very effecient like the Sugar was, but unlike the Sugar, the handling on the new fuel is incredible.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Oh ya that reminds me i would like Superlight myself over most everything.

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
2002 Giant NRS Air. I actually just bought the frame and built it up myself. It weighs in around 23.5 lbs. I've been extremely happy with this bike.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by BrickTop
I actually just bought the frame and built it up myself. It weighs in around 23.5 lbs. .
It probably hasn't weighed that since Day 1. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jebadiah

Chimp
Mar 22, 2002
Dayton, OH
I have been riding a Specialized FSRxc pro for most races. I will ride my hardtail for maybe a lap during the daylight or if I do the first lap. FS is the only way to go for the most part, especially when you turn 44 like I am!

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I rode my 32 pound Bullit. My plan was to make up time on the downhill, only there wasn't one. It was all up. If I had the scratch I'd get a Blur - I just like Santa Cruz, great town, great bikes.