Quantcast

So what company makes deep press headsets?

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Been trying to find a deep press headset as i get very paranoid using normal
Depth headsets on alloy frames.
Now upon searching i found blackspire and chrisking , im not spending chris king money.
But cant seem to find any other companies that makes these anymore.

Could somebody please help me locate one

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I had a chromoly FSA one in my Nicolai, the headset cup cracked 3/4 of the way around, you void the warranty if you don't run a deep insert HS on them. I ran an 80gram XC one after that with almost no depth and it worked fine.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
FSA PIG? Are you sure? I thought they just had normal cups.
Im talking like 25/30mm deep cups
I have a deep cup 1.5 Pig headset, as well as a shallow cup 1.5 Pig. The deep cup is older and I only bought the shallow because it was the only non-sketchy one I could find other than King (wasn't so sure about the Crank Bros offerings). Seems like the shallow is the only one available now.

The market seems to be limited on this front at lower price points, but I guess if you really wanted you could find a Works Components headset that will work, mine have all had decent interface depths. The price will be approaching King, but you won't be hating yourself for putting money in Chris King's pocket.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Read some of the threads soft-compound has started, he got stuck in the early 2000s, haha, he digs burly.

I have bought weird brand after weird brand and very rarely have the items been any good, I buy normalish stuff now coz looking at 5k+ worth of parts that never worked properly sucks!

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Hahaa yeah im stuck in a time warp.
Well the main problem i have is i had a frame blasted and poweder coated but the douch bags
Did not mask the head tube so were the head set goes in and be pushed in and pulled out by hand
So i need to get a deep set headset and use bonding compound or thredlock.
Dont know if it will need it on my BB7 as but i like the reasurance and safety.
So do you think the deep headsets can do more harm than good?

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Wont do any harm, just didn't understand the resistance to "normal" cups.
How on earth would blasting make the headset inside diameter any bigger - sounds like someone screwed up?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ohhhh you have a BB7 if I had one of them now I'd knock an inch off the travel to drop the BB height, they sucked at the stock height!

If you can ovalize that headtube you are superhuman!

I did have a Syncros deep insert headset that seemed to be slightly larger than a normal HS, the mech in the shop had to get me to take over using the install tool as he was worn out after the first cup, hahaha!

It was one of these-

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I did have a Syncros deep insert headset that seemed to be slightly larger than a normal HS, the mech in the shop had to get me to take over using the install tool as he was worn out after the first cup, hahaha!
Had the same Syncros headset. First had to pay a local machinist/frame builder to bore the headtube deeper. Then had a nearly identical installation experience, haha. They're brutes.

Last edited:

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah the balfa has a 38mm deep inset , i just found kooka stainless deep 34mm cup headsets on offer for £35.00.
Also regarding the blasting it is for a hardtail and yes depending on the pressure of the blast the sand can reduce a frame to dust in minutes.
Hmmmmm reduce the shock length from 222 to perhaps 200
I know there is a guy whom makes custom plates in australia but he wants something like $350.00 for them

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I had a chumba f4 back in the day where a king headset just would slide in and out by hand, but the fsa pig pressed in no problem and worked for the 2 seasons I owned the bike and at least 2-3 more to the cat I sold it to.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Being an older bike I'd imagine the leverage ratio would be quite high and taking 22mm off the shock would drop you well over 2".

If you got the BB to 13.5" you should have something around a 64 deg HA, with a stiffly sprung back end I think it would be a bunch of fun. I hated my BB7 but I knew nothing about suspension when I bought it(still don't know much now) so it wasn't really the fault of the bike.