Quantcast

So what do you write in a resignation letter?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well take this job and shove it
i aint working here no more...

or you could say some thing like "i quit beeeeooooootchhh"

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
" I was smoking a joint in the parking lot and I suddenly realized... Hey this is so wrong. I couldn't live with myself so I had to come clean... I am high while I write this from my desk and getting paid" Then email it to your supervisor and cc the whole company. :D ...jdcamb

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
When I left my job last year I walked in and told my boss that my last day would be the 24th. At which point he leaned back in his chair, threw his head back, and grabbed what hair he had and exclaimed "oh ****." It was truely priceless and I'm glad I didn't do it by letter. The look on his face and me trying to restrain my grin still makes me laugh.

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
All these ideas are great but like you say, dog welder, you do want to quit on good terms. The world is a small place and having another reference with something positive to say about you (like your soon-to-be boss) is very useful. Then you can complain to your new fellow employees about how your last job sucked.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Make is short and sweet polite and professional. My last resignation letter went something along the lines of :

It has been a pleasure working with XXX for the past XXX years, but I find myself with opportunities outside XXX that I can not turn down. Please accept this letter of resignation. My last day of work will be XXX.

Do it face to face with your boss then had him the letter as a formality.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
johnbryanpeters said:
Why not lay it out face-to-face? A letter's pretty formal...
Of course you should discuss it with your boss - the leter is just a formality for HR.

When I resigned last year I went to my boss an told him that I was leaving etc. Only AFTER I talked to him about did I hand him my letter - I even said"for HR" when I handed it to him.

DogWelder - check PM for a template

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Dunno - I'm slowly composing one in my head to hand over when my lease on this apt ends....

Dear boss - I find myself struggling to focus when there are beautiful mountains to climb, and adventures to do, and places to experience. I'm going to go be a dirty smelly hippy and tell the corporate world, suits, and bitter angry power squabbles to f*ck off! Dust in the wind baby, dust in the wind.

;)

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
But aren`t you just the janitor there and he`ll be glad you gone ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) or is the burger flipping job a good come back to place :redX: :redX: :redX: :redX: ,I have no idea I just have quit and got a new one

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Slugman said:
Of course you should discuss it with your boss - the leter is just a formality for HR.

When I resigned last year I went to my boss an told him that I was leaving etc. Only AFTER I talked to him about did I hand him my letter - I even said"for HR" when I handed it to him.

DogWelder - check PM for a template
finally words of wisdom...D