Quantcast

so, what now?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it looks like we have 2 options.

option 1:sit around and slam on each and cast blame in every direction and bitch about the trails.

option 2: form a group, name our selves, and become proactive in allocating an area for use by us.

anyone? anyone?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
it looks like we have 2 options.

option 1:sit around and slam on each and cast blame in every direction and bitch about the trails.

option 2: form a group, name our selves, and become proactive in allocating an area for use by us.

anyone? anyone?

option 1 will keep me much more pre-occupied at work.

Let me know what I can do to help on Option 2, obviously I wont be throwing any shovels, however I have quite a bit of experience setting up an IMBA club and bringing it into 501(c)(3) status.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
501c3 is non-profit status correct?

lets see what kind of response we have to this and see if its even posible to get something started.

we have alexander but there are so many issues with using that place. Hazards such as rednecks shooting at you and problems like no access to the top other than climbing and the trails getting damaged by atv/dirt bikes.

before anyone says anything about "just climb the hill then" let me throw out the idea would be to get a location that we can run shuttles. the demand seems to be for people on big bikes that want to shuttle multiple runs in a day.

How about a freeride park at the Biltmore?
I've always thought that flyfishing,fine dining and DH go good together.

Okay seriously, Rob has done a really good job of forming a coalition group to serve as a steward of the freeride type trails in south florida.
Becoming tight with the park officials etc. and having direct communication as well as organized trail work days(and people actually show up).
Butch already seems to be on track with the Cradle of Forrestry work clinics so the missing element is cohesion, communication with the high up decision makers of Forrestry and last but not least......self enforcement of rogue riders who don't care.
Not knowing Butch he seems like a really good candidiate for the hall monitor but really everyone will have to do it at all times.
You know. the whole "bad apple" routine. :angry:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It really only takes a few people to get the ball rolling. I would recommend piggy backing (at least at first) one of the existing organizations that do TM up there. Sounds like some of you already do that. I bet if Jeremy, Bizutch, and Biggins (just using you guys as examples) showed up to 2 or 3 TM days (together) with whatever group is already doing it, it would blossom fast. Those 3 guys would each bring a friend, then all of a sudden you have 6, 9 etc etc all guys that like to ride big bikes and shuttle. You would get an understanding of what the Forest Service concerns are through the existing TM crew. Eventually when "your" crew of guys got big and reliable enough you could start tackling projects "your" crew think are important.

Its much easier to go the land manager with .... "Hey we have done, this, that and the other thing, now we would like to do _______. We think it would address usage or erosion or whatever."

Once you have a solid base of guys that are REGULARLY showing up and helping out, if need be branch off and form your own club. You can become your own IMBA club with liability insurance for less then $250 a year (I am not positive on that figure, but it rings a bell). Once you start to generate any kind of revenue, then you would start worry about forming a Not-For-Profit organization.