Quantcast

So what shall I do for the next 6-8 weeks.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I broke my 5th metacarporal and have a boxxer's facture in my left hand, yes I have pics. Basically went for a ride at Round Valley took a long descent down then hit a clearing, a chainlink fence parrallels the said fence was booking hit the crossing, shoot up a bank start to hit the brakes, only to having no braking power see that I'm coming up to the fence fast. No time to bail, just brace for impact, go into it with shoulder, but in the process of going down, manage to smack left and hard against the business end of said chainlink fence. There were a few people freking that I possibly broke my leg, I just sat the for a bit to regain myself. One of them freaked and called for the ranger, so I had to do the 20 answers, didn't feel anything until halfway back when my hand started to hurt like something awful. Finally get back to the parking lot and when I went to take the left glove off, it came off hard. Come to see that my left hand was badly swollen especially around the pinky. Will have pics up in a few minutes.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Rip said:
Need two hands for that.

Only pic that came out well.

No you can become a zen master one handed wok sensi (or however that's spelled) with enough practice. When you don't get it right just whack yourself across the bad hand with the hot wok. You'll get it quick.

I had almost the exact same injury, except it was on my right hand. I did the 24 hours of Canaan about 2 weeks later in a cast that we modified with dremel. Don't do that. The cast ended up smelling like an unwashed donkey ass and my pinky didn't quite heal correctly.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Damn man, sorry to hear it. I had one of those casts last year, I don't suggest however that you do what I did and ruin the cast by doing 6 foot drops :devil:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Read, read and read and oh, be sure to keep away good bike magazine and vids so you won't be tempted by an early comeback!

Good luck!!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
ahh rip.. sorry to hear that man.. I was hoping to get to ride with you next week if you were gonna be around.. I started working nights and figured I have all this time to ride during the day now.
Get better quickly man

jcr23

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
dude, i know exactly what part of that trail you're talking about! i'm over in washington in warren county. anyway, that sucks dude, hope the time goes fast.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Wait a couple of weeks and start riding one handed around the nieghborhood. Learn to ride no handed around your hood. Go to your favorite LBS and hang out there getting good bike vibes or until they fix your brakes.... Don't be a sad sack.

Then ride safe trails like chimney rock when you can put both hands on the bar. Saw off the cast and the next thing you know you'll be riding back at round valley and railing that berm.... 4 to 6 weeks is my prediction. Docs only practice medicine...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
jdcamb said:
Saw off the cast and the next thing you know you'll be riding back at round valley and railing that berm.... 4 to 6 weeks is my prediction. Docs only practice medicine...
Yeah those pesky doctors don't know sh!t. The extra weeks aren't going to cost you anything except properly healed fingers.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Man that sucks. :(

I've broken my 4th/5th metacarpuls MANY times and don't worry, its a quick injury that heals up pretty quickly. I'd say (of course this depends on how it feels and such) that you could probably be doing easy riding in like 2weeks and then full on within a month.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
COmtbiker12 said:
Man that sucks. :(

I've broken my 4th/5th metacarpuls MANY times and don't worry, its a quick injury that heals up pretty quickly. I'd say (of course this depends on how it feels and such) that you could probably be doing easy riding in like 2weeks and then full on within a month.
Did you get boxer's fracture as well?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Rip said:
Did you get boxer's fracture as well?
I believe so. They happened when I fell and somehow landed with the impact on my hand with my fist closed, so it pretty much just fractured it. (doctor referred to it as a boxer break). Each time I thought it was just a bruised up hand and went like, 2-3days without getting it checked out. :p