Quantcast

So what UST tires DO work well with 823s?

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
There's lots of info online about certain UST tires that don't play nice with the Mavic 823 rims, cutting into the sidewall and such, but can anyone tell me of some tires that work well in UST mode?

I'm a 220lbs basher who rides the shore and Whistler, so I'm looking for something pretty durable.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if you are cutting the sidewalls you are running to low pressures, simple. i think more ppl who get on ust make that mistake as you need to run a few more psi on ust so you dont flat and so the tires dont fold over. but the traction is still as good.

for bigger riders, you can use normal maxxis dh tires or the intense dual ply tires. they have stronger sidewalls and you only need a small amount of sealant. 1.5 parts slime + 1 part water works perfect too.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I'm a bigger guy too and run 823s on the shore/whistler/etc. I find that the maxxis non ust tires work best for me. They take a little time to seal up the first time you seat them but then they are solid. The sidewalls are quite a bit better than the michelins(I have torn about 5 of those in the last year or so).

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I´ve used Minion UST without sealent or anyting to work perfecto for years now. Just bought a new set of those tires.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
if you are cutting the sidewalls you are running to low pressures, simple. i think more ppl who get on ust make that mistake as you need to run a few more psi on ust so you dont flat and so the tires dont fold over. but the traction is still as good.

for bigger riders, you can use normal maxxis dh tires or the intense dual ply tires. they have stronger sidewalls and you only need a small amount of sealant. 1.5 parts slime + 1 part water works perfect too.
I run incredibely low pressures and I've only ripped threw my sidewall once (over 1.5 season) on a bad line I had to take not to drive over someones dog... Other than that I don't know how low the pressure had to be to do that if you used UST specific tires. I'm pretty light (70kg) but 15-20psi front and 20-25psi rear (actualy I don't think I've been over 23 for a long time) and I've got no problems on hutchinsons barracuda or maxxis DHFs.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
norba - i am even lighter, around 63kgs but i kill tired and rims. i run around 21-25 psi depending on course or if i can be bothered. even running in that range i have cut up michelin and maxxis tires on rougher tracks.

and i cant run anything much under 20 psi anyway, the tires will fold over even when you do flat corners in the parking lot!

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I run Michelins - 16s, 24 and Mud3s. No sealant, no problems. I guess when my stash runs out I'll have to move on though. :nopity:

Mar 14, 2008
I've run Michelins with no problems... (2.5 16s)

I've also run regular minion DHF and DHRs without complaint, although they do leak air at a higher rate than the UST Michelin and Maxxis variants.

As for sealant, I now run stans, but I previously ran slime, and it seemed to seal better.

Finally, I've had the UST problem you describe with Minion UST tires. For my dollar, tearing tires ain't any fun, especially when they're nearly new. Re tire pressure, as for the poster that said it happens b/c of too little air, that may be true... mine happened with about 28 psi just after the third rock roll on Lower Whistler Downhill, so be your own judge I guess).

I suppose there's no guarantee with the regular minions, but in any event, I doubt you should take the advice of guys in the 60 to 70 kilo range, as you (and I) weigh between 25 and 50% more than them. I'm no physics guru, but it seems obvious that you're going to be putting equally more force on your tires...

Anyways, my setup has worked well... 823s with Maxxis Minion DHFs, 26-27 psi front, and 28-29 rear. The only time I have issues is when I let the rear get lower than that... then I burp every once in a while.

Good luck

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just curious, don't you think the tires feel unpredictable when cornering hard with that low of a pressure? I never could make 15 psi work, not even 20! Not because of flats but because of feel.

I run incredibely low pressures and I've only ripped threw my sidewall once (over 1.5 season) on a bad line I had to take not to drive over someones dog... Other than that I don't know how low the pressure had to be to do that if you used UST specific tires. I'm pretty light (70kg) but 15-20psi front and 20-25psi rear (actualy I don't think I've been over 23 for a long time) and I've got no problems on hutchinsons barracuda or maxxis DHFs.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
norba - i am even lighter, around 63kgs but i kill tired and rims. i run around 21-25 psi depending on course or if i can be bothered. even running in that range i have cut up michelin and maxxis tires on rougher tracks.

and i cant run anything much under 20 psi anyway, the tires will fold over even when you do flat corners in the parking lot!
That's strange. Didn't have that much time on minions ust but I've really pushed my barracudas and they really don't want to fold over.

BTW. I've also cut tires on rougher tracks but not on the sidewall and mostly it was my mistake for running the pressure too low on too rocky tracks with bad lines. When I'm smooth I can get very low.

Irider dunno about minions - used it at a bit higher pressure for now but barracudas are a bit heavy so that may be the case with them. On 15psi I felt very minimal float (I usualy add pressure in such cases). A bit higher and there was no problems but I very often push my trailbike/am bike over the limit with light tires so I may simply be used to little float.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I am unable to run UST tires at such low pressure, I find I have to have them at least 27psi to stop them from burping/pinch flatting/folding. But they actually work pretty well at that pressure for me. I usually either have with high rollers or wetscreams always UST, with 823's of course.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've run the 823's since they came out on DH and trail and never had an issue with Hutchinson UST or Michelin UST. Never tried Maxxis UST but did try a Maxxis non-UST and couldn't get it to seal. The Hutchinson Barracuda is a good tire and I've run the Piranha in 2.3 for trail for 2 years without a problem. Michelin I've run the comp 16 and 32 though the 32 is a bit big for the 823 as it's not a wide rim. I've also run the older Octopus UST in both a 2.3 and 2.5(which is almost as big as the Mich 2.8) without a problem as well.

I've heard of Maxxis UST sidewall issues from several sources hence I've never tried them. I also run Barracuda 2.1 on Mavic 819 UST rims and that works perfect as well.