Quantcast

So what's a dumber vehicle?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
3,593
795
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have $5 for anybody who can do this in an H2 and manage to not break anything. By the way that driveline and suspension is stock except for the springs.



As for the coments about the WRX being usless, here is a basicly stock WRX for you
 

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
7,329
1
Over there somewhere.
N8 said:
2007 FJ LC :drool:





Official Site:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/fj_cruiser/index.html

Official Toyota Spec Sheet:
2007 TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
ON SALE: Early 2006
BASE PRICE: $23,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 4.0-liter, 245-hp, 282-lb-ft V6; rwd/4wd, five-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 4000 lbs (est.)
0 TO 60 MPH: 8.0 seconds (est.)

Hi-Res Photos:
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_chicago/fjcruiser/pages/1.htm

WHAT'S COOL: Toyota can do retro design, too, Mr. Mays. Rides on the 4Runner SUV platform. Production version closely resembles 2003 concept vehicle.

WHAT AUTOMAKER SAYS: "The FJ Cruiser effectively fills a gap in the Toyota lineup which was once our core heritage -- capable, affordable and durable vehicles that are youthful, fun-to-drive, aggressive and tough," says Don Esmond, Toyota Division general manager."


Official Site:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/fj_cruiser/index.html

Official Toyota Spec Sheet:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/fj_c.../FJ_cruiser.pdf

Autoweek article on Toyota FJ Cruiser:
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101856

VIDEO of Toyota Unveiling at Chicago Auto Show 2005:
http://a230.g.akamai.net/7/230/2320/v001/toyota.download.akamai.com/2320/toyota/media/cas_fjcruiser_edited.wmv

Looks like ass to me. I'm holding out for Volkswagen to bring back the Thing.
 

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
16,689
472
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MMike said:
If I recall correctly, it's almost the same vehicle as the VW Touareg....which also got very high marks off road...
Yup...they were designed together and are basically the same car. One of our local guys (Trek/Gary Fisher Rep) has been having trouble with the electronics in his VW Tourag (it's the V8 model).
 

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
28,982
2,838
TreeSaw said:
Yup...they were designed together and are basically the same car. One of our local guys (Trek/Gary Fisher Rep) has been having trouble with the electronics in his VW Tourag (it's the V8 model).
which leads me to suspect the "porsche reliability" comment on the first page (which implied that was a good thing).

vw/audi group reliability = teh suck. :mad:
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
kidwoo said:
Car?

I thought we were talking about H2s.

Just out of curiosity, you ever sit in one of those things? A friend of mine has one and I got to drive it around to a different parking space. I'm kind of short and all but I may have run over a horse and not seen it. Hard to say.

On a sidenote though, if I had kids I'd probably be into one. Not for safety or anything delusional like that, more because if they sat in the back, it's far enough away, I probably couldn't hear them.
oh damn, my rep approval meter has been pinned once again.
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
One of our local guys (Trek/Gary Fisher Rep) has been having trouble with the electronics in his VW Tourag (it's the V8 model).
huh, a VW w/ electrical problems? that's about as rare as a frat party w/ bad beer.
 

chuffer

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
818
207
McMinnville, OR
Changleen said:
Do your Yankee VWs come from a different place than Euro ones? :confused:
hmm. i dont know about the touareg but my vw is mexican built. i have also owned german built vws worlds of difference even if the OEM suppliers are identical...worlds of difference.
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,910
9
Hypernormality
narlus said:
dunno, but you think they are a reliable car, from an electrical perspective?
Well, I've personally never owned one, but in Euroland VW have a pretty damn good reputation for reliability, and no-one I know who has owned one has ever had any issues. Same with Audi - the only thing I ever heard of bad from Audi was when the TT was brand new some of the soft-tops leaked.
 

jesusgatos

Chimp
Jan 29, 2006
12
0
Bend, Oregon
I got to drive a Rinspeed-tuned Turbo Cayenne. It was super-fast, but it felt like the freakin' space shuttle was taking off every time I hit the gas pedal. I mean, you could FEEL how heavy it was. The ride sucked on 23's too...
 

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
3,593
795
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Changleen said:
Do your Yankee VWs come from a different place than Euro ones? :confused:
Yes, some of them are from Mexico, but most US spec VWs are built here in America. The TDIs are all still German, hence they are bulletproof. Most of the electrical issues that VWs have here are due to faulty relays, they are easy to swap out to the better quality German ones. Although the parts are designed and built to the same blue-prints there is a huge quality issue with the American built sh1t.

Also I just learned an interesting tidbit about the H2, seems GM cheapedout on the steering knuckles and the wheels may fall off at speeds as low as 35mph even on smoot roads. They may be recaling all of the H2s and some Tahoes, Escalades, and other big SUVs
 

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
28,982
2,838
chuffer said:
hmm. i dont know about the touareg but my vw is mexican built. i have also owned german built vws worlds of difference even if the OEM suppliers are identical...worlds of difference.
i thought this theory was disproved on vwvortex?
 

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
7,791
36
Japan
Changleen said:
Well, I've personally never owned one, but in Euroland VW have a pretty damn good reputation for reliability, and no-one I know who has owned one has ever had any issues. Same with Audi - the only thing I ever heard of bad from Audi was when the TT was brand new some of the soft-tops leaked.
I don't know where the VWs in Japan are made but the one my sister in law had, you only had to look sideways at the electric windows before the grinding and smoking and sparking thing started. Nice car to drive though
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
51,124
4,351
In a van.... down by the river
maxyedor said:
Yes, some of them are from Mexico, but most US spec VWs are built here in America. The TDIs are all still German, hence they are bulletproof. Most of the electrical issues that VWs have here are due to faulty relays, they are easy to swap out to the better quality German ones. Although the parts are designed and built to the same blue-prints there is a huge quality issue with the American built sh1t.
VW/Audi has been renowned for electrical crap for 20 years or more. And I'm pretty sure they've not been making them in Mexico that long. My ol' '85 Audi 4KQ was a great car, but the electrical crap left a LOT to be desired. :D
 

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
827
0
NC
maxyedor said:
Yes, some of them are from Mexico, but most US spec VWs are built here in America. The TDIs are all still German, hence they are bulletproof. Most of the electrical issues that VWs have here are due to faulty relays, they are easy to swap out to the better quality German ones. Although the parts are designed and built to the same blue-prints there is a huge quality issue with the American built sh1t.
I was under the impression that VW closed the American plant in the late 80's. My 87 GTI was built on american soil and my 02 jetta wagon in germany...
 

stevew

unique white person
Sep 21, 2001
33,564
4,119
MMike said:
my '02 jetta was assembled in Mexico.....ole
And after the problems you had, you probably thought it was the dumbest vehicle...:D
 

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
215
0
Pittsburgh
SkaredShtles said:
VW/Audi has been renowned for electrical crap for 20 years or more. And I'm pretty sure they've not been making them in Mexico that long. My ol' '85 Audi 4KQ was a great car, but the electrical crap left a LOT to be desired. :D

My wife's Audi A4 has been plagued with electrical problems since day one. So far she's had problems with CD player not working, LED dashboard display quitting, interior lights that stay on after the door is closed, and power locks that don't work . Actually the power locks not working may be a blessing. Hopefully someone will do us a favor and steal the car.
 

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
827
0
NC
My VIN number starts with WVW, which indicates that it is a german assymbled car. It may be just a wagon thing for the Jettas..?
My 95 passat was german also... It was the VW I had problems with. :D