Quantcast

So, what's your most favoritist ice cream?

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
I'm sure there's a thread on this already, but I didn't see it, so sorry if this is a repeat.

I am a sucker for the Hagen Daz ice cream sandwich, for breakfast.

The Cheese

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Chocolate chip. Some brand high in milkfat (our local university makes some AWESOME ice cream), but using vanilla combined with *actual* chocolate chips instead of the wussy shaved chocolate so many store brands use today. It makes the chocolate chips hard, and you can usually add enough so you get a decent spoonful of chips with ever bite. :drool:

Dammit, now I want ice cream...

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
per AB

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-ice-cream-recipe/index.html

3/4 cup of cocoa (instead of 1/2 cup) and only 1 cup sugar, and 2 cups of heavy cream -- tastes like pudding / fudge (the shiznit)

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder, approximately 1/2 cup
* 3 cups half-and-half
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 8 large egg yolks
* 9 ounces sugar
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions
Place the cocoa powder along with 1 cup of the half-and-half into a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
our local ice cream place closest to our riding spot makes their own... La Cigale in Chelsea, Quebec. My absolute, hands down favourite is banana-skor-walnut..... but all their ice creams are good, best I've ever had.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i like going to the local Amish farms and watching them make home made ice cream in a gas powered machine that looks friggin dangerous as hell.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't get the craving very often but if I could pick only one, chocolate chip cookie dough would probably get the nod.

Here in SF, Bi-Rite Creamery's salted caramel is ridiculously good.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
I don't get the craving very often but if I could pick only one, chocolate chip cookie dough would probably get the nod.

Here in SF, Bi-Rite Creamery's salted caramel is ridiculously good.
I've just started making my own salted caramel and it's quite good, even if I do say so myself

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
any type that is served off of the body of an insanely hot stripper...

oh sorry...

i'm a big fan of ben and jerry's milk and cookies.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I grew up with a kid who's dad worked at B&J's. I used to get grocery bags full of pints of ice cream from him. One of the things I miss about Vermont.

I do like Phish Food.

Tried some actual home made ice cream this past 4th of July - nothing comes close.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Freakin Ben and Jerry's. Why God, why, does a pint have to have a thousand calories?

I love the mint Oreo cookie along with chocolate anything. I will pretty much eat any ice cream though.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
My own home made ice creams aside, I love and crave the mint chocolate chip ice cream from the streetside vendor in Annecy's old town. Perfection.

Retail ice cream: B&J Cookie Dough or New Zealand's very own Hokey Pokey.

Oct 27, 2011
Sheer Bliss Pomegranate...not easy to find however. B&J Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is easier to find, and my 2nd choice.