Quantcast

So where is the "North Shore" anyway?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hi,

I'm waaaaaaay new to Vancouver, moved from here from Montreal.

I'd like to tour around a little this weekend and have a looksee at a couple riding spots. You westerners enjoy riding in this miserable weather?

Anyway, where would you guys recommend I go check out? I'm pretty much novice, but would like to just take a walk-around and check out a few spots.

Thanks.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Hi,

I'm waaaaaaay new to Vancouver, moved from here from Montreal.

I'd like to tour around a little this weekend and have a looksee at a couple riding spots. You westerners enjoy riding in this miserable weather?

Anyway, where would you guys recommend I go check out? I'm pretty much novice, but would like to just take a walk-around and check out a few spots.

Thanks.
Ok...you go out and take a right. Go three quarters of a mile (that's 452 klicks), you'll see a Chevron, make a left. Go another 2 miles (521 cliques), there will be a guy in a yellow slicker. His name is Hank. Ride him. That's the North Shore.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ok...you go out and take a right. Go three quarters of a mile (that's 452 klicks), you'll see a Chevron, make a left. Go another 2 miles (521 cliques), there will be a guy in a yellow slicker. His name is Hank. Ride him. That's the North Shore.
What about the retard selling fireworks?

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Look up the "Cove bike shop" in North Vancouver. They are situated right next to the Shore and they sell maps. Gutsploder.com is a good reference as well. Have fun ya lucky bastard!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
At the risk of being banned, I'd also suggest asking around on the NSMB.com forum. There's a lot more "locals" there...you just have to deal with an legion of groms to get info.

Most of us still like riding in this wonderful weather. The others tend to take their skis and boards and hit the big hills over the winter. I prefer the mud, personally.

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
if you're scared, start on the UBC endowment lands...move over to Burnaby Mtn [SFU]...then move over to Mt. Seymour and try Ned's...there's no reason to start deep in the gnar

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
if you're scared, start on the UBC endowment lands...move over to Burnaby Mtn [SFU]...then move over to Mt. Seymour and try Ned's...there's no reason to start deep in the gnar
Lies Fromme is practically a paved parkway now.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Burnaby's a good time, Nicole's is a fun trail that's close to the city and usually not snowed in. The South Surrey bike park is a blast for DJs and low-consequence skinnies from beginner to nearly expert level.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
North Shore (Vancouver) is in North Vancouver (imagine that.) Get a map, find the trans canada highway

Go North on the Transcanada Highway, over the Burrard Inlet, voila, you are now on the North Shore.

For beginner freeriders I suggest Mt. Seymour, Trail, CBC. This is a great introduction to North Shore Riding. Bike Shops to visit: Cove, John Henry's and On Top.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
never been to Montreal, have you...
Yep, I'm thinking I'll start slow. I can ride reasonable well, down most anything, slowly. It's the built up skinny stuff with a 10'+ drop if you screw up that I'm worried about.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Seriously, check out the South Surrey bike park! There's a crapload of skinnies and features to work on in there, and since it's in the lowlands it's pretty much snow free most of the time. Sandy, quick-draining soil as well. For review:

http://www.sorcebikeclub.org/

http://www.bmba.ca/
Yes, that can be a fun place. Langley recently built a MTB specific jump park as well. The Watershed is not bad either (small, but fun). I honestly do not know how any of them have been doing in all the rain lately.

Since moving back I have been forced to love riding my bike on 6" of slippery wood 10' in the air. :twitch: