Quantcast

So who died?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ha, they were talking about this on the radio. They were saying how people are all worked up about it.

It's FICTION people... FICTION....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
I hear Rowling's annual salary is $77 million. With money like that, I could buy new wheels for my bike.
When I hear numbers like that all I can think of is Yogurt from Space Balls going "Mahhhkating, we got the yogurt lunch box... the Yogurt........"

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I see Ms. Rowling driving in the snow, crashing, and get's rescued by someone named Annie saying; "I am your number one fan. There is nothing to worry about. You are going to be just fine. I am your number one fan"
:rolleyes:
Now that would be an oogie mess...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stosh said:
When I hear numbers like that all I can think of is Yogurt from Space Balls going "Mahhhkating, we got the yogurt lunch box... the Yogurt........"
Space balls the T-shirt, Space balls the lunch box, Space balls the FLAME THROWER...the kids love this one...and of course, spaceballs the doll...me.

Harry Potter has become the new Titanic, just substitute crying women for silly middle aged men with glasses.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ET_SoCal said:
I see Ms. Rowling driving in the snow, crashing, and get's rescued by someone named Annie saying; "I am your number one fan. There is nothing to worry about. You are going to be just fine. I am your number one fan"
:rolleyes:
Now that would be an oogie mess...
Ha, and we don't see her for months... next time we do she's limping pretty bad....

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Shield your eyes if you don't want to know....i don't know where this came from so who knows...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
"Snape killed Dumbledore" I don't want to know what that means, but this is what people are crazy about and earns this woman $77 million a year?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stinkyboy said:
"Snape killed Dumbledore" I don't want to know what that means, but this is what people are crazy about and earns this woman $77 million a year?
The stories may not be what you like to read, but they are fairly well written for a childrens book, and what's more important, is that this lady got millions of kids to read who otherwise wouldn't. Sounds worth 77 mil to me.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ciaran said:
The stories may not be what you like to read, but they are fairly well written for a childrens book, and what's more important, is that this lady got millions of kids to read who otherwise wouldn't. Sounds worth 77 mil to me.
There's always gonna be some people who are "too cool" for whatever "non-cool" people are interested in. Most people leave that stuff behind in high school, but sadly, others carry it through their entire pitiful lives.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ciaran said:
but they are fairly well written for a childrens book, and what's more important, is that this lady got millions of kids to read who otherwise wouldn't. Sounds worth 77 mil to me.
Page 606 needs help.

I don't buy the Pied Piper thang. A lot of kids read and others don't. It comes down to teaching/parenting and the availability of books, not some "wizard" book.

If she HAS influenced more kids to read, then good times!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Anybody see that SNL sketch where Hermione (sic?) has just grown breasts? That was some funny ****.

Harry Potter = :stosh:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
I wholeheartedly agree there. Stinky, you may not buy it, but this is probably the most popular children's book series in history (as far as the short term goes, I realize there are enduring classics that have been read by far more people). You think that every single kid who doesn't like to read has just shrugged their shoulders and walked away when all of their friends are discussing the latest Harry Potter novel? With how desperate kids are to fit into a group?

No way. This kind of book is one of the greatest things that can be given to a kid - they're well written (if in a childish style), lengthy and engrossing. Sometimes, the only reason a kid doesn't like to read is because they never really started reading. If you can get them started, even if it's just to fit in or have something to talk about with their friends, it can really help them academically. Kids who read have a tremendous advantage in vocabulary, writing skills and spelling, not to mention promoting their imagination.

I agree that parenting and availability of books plays a big part but there is no doubt in my mind that books like this are almost as important as the other two.

I read the first one and, though I appreciated it as a well written, imaginative story, it wasn't really my thing, but I may pick up one of the more recent ones just to see what the fuss is about.