Quantcast

So . . . who has dropped out of school recently?

bjanga said:
Its college, sorry about that.

Prostitution is not an option . . . although I am looking for a ride to the firestone classic and back ;)
I quit after my first semester in college. I worked odd jobs, drove a truck, factory jobs, then joined the Army. Worked some more when I got out, then went back to school serious like. Got my BSEE at age 30.

J

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I had "issues" with my grades during my third semester of college. I.E., I didn't go to classes and didn't do my homework. I just didn't care. Funny how those two things can hurt your grades. I was given two options by my academic advisor: Drop out of school, or be reduced to part time status to get my GPA back up then re-apply for full-time status if I do well. So I was at a crossroads....admit that school wasn't for me and start looking for full time work, or pick myself up off the ground and hit the books. I took a semster off to think about it, then decided to give college another try. Once I went back to school and applied myself, I never got lower than a B in any class and finished my last three semesters on the Dean's List (carrying 18 credits each semester). I even spoke to the Dean of the business school and essentially got that one horrible semester erased from my records. That sent my cum GPA up almost a full point.

So you are at a crossroads right now. It's up to you to decide what to do with yourself and everything is in your hands. Whatever you decide though will shape how the rest of your life goes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just as something to think about, I went straight into the work force after high school. Figured I'd take a year off, get myself sorted out, and go to college the next year.

Well, I fell into a really good job, and it made it really easy not to go back. Eventually, there was a good supervisor position open and my boss (and his boss) both told me they would have hired me for it, except the V.P. was demanding a degree for the position.

That was a bit of a sobering thought. So here I am, almost 7 years later, going to school. And it's going to be a lot harder since I've got to support myself at the same time - at the very least, I won't get that "college experience".

Just something to consider. If you're chasing the college experience, do it now. Later, you're just going to be getting a degree. I'm very fortunate that my dad is helping me pay for my classes for the next couple years.

J

JRB

I went for a semester when I got out of HS. I got a C and hung it up. I went to horseshoeing school a year later for 3 months. I did that for 8 years, along with cowboying. I made as much as $45k and as little as $20k. I drank a lot and screwed around. I moved to SA and tried to go to school. The advisors were so sh*tty at the CCs that I gave up. I came back to Temple and started farming, since my back was messed up. Lots of hours and little dough, but I liked it. Julie talked me into taking computer classes. I went back and made the Dean's list for 3 semesters, while working at least 50 hours. I still didn't do much homework. I did do well though. I still need 2 classes to have an associates degree, but I got a decent job and quit going. I worked up to management in 2 years. Now I am not in that job and wish I were still in school. I may go back next year. We'll see. I wouldn't mind having a bachelor's in something, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind working in a company out of the corporate world. I like to know all of the people involved in my destiny personally.

Get your head right and then do what you think is best. You have my story, but I can't tell you what YOU should do. I see all kinds of different successes here, so it's going to be different than some others for you.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Best thing for you to do is get your crap together and sign up for a hitch in the military... or you can join the Air Force.

You won't regret it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMike said:
The key is to marry a rich girl so that you don't have to work. You could end up in a million dollar home and never have to lift a finger!
That definitely works, wish that was my case. They only reason we were able to buy our new house is we made $600K in equity on the one we just sold.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm coming at this from a different perspective. I just finished my PhD while working full time in the corporate world. All I can say is that no, school is not for everyone. At the same time, the better jobs are now all requiring degrees. If your grades are the result of an honest effort that just didn't pan out, that's one thing. GO find a job you are happy with and stay there. If the grades are the result of too much partying or whatever, get your head screwed on straight, take a bit of time off, and go back to get 'er done. It may be a pain at the time, but it is temporary. Trust me, without the education you will feel that same pain stuck in a job that will make you a thirty-thousandaire the rest of your life.

J

JRB

Brian HCM#1 said:
That definitely works, wish that was my case. They only reason we were able to buy our new house is we made $600K in equity on the one we just sold.
You don't owe us an explanation.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
robdamanii said:
Public school. They only hold you back so many times before they "ask" you to give up.

Well, that's a first. For some reason I highly doubt it though.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm on the 20 year program...
started right out of HS and bombed out. Took a year off and started in the community college, a class here and another there... Skied and partied like a raging loonie while slowly going thru my 1st two years at the CC. 17 years later, after skiing more than ANYONE who isn't living in a resort (like 120 days a year for the first 5 years...), I'm in a top notch engineering school w/ my weed-out classes out of the way.
The only prob w/ doing it like this is your ability to recall the info you learn'd in your earlier classes. But this way, you can have your cake and eat it too... party and goto school. Now tho, I'm pretty focused (reads no riding) in getting thru and getting my degrees (dual major, EE and CS).

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
yonton228 said:
Actually they do kick you out for bad grades in public schools.
I've never heard of anyone getting kick out of public school in Southern California. However, they will hold you back, and if that doesn't work they will send you to continuation school.

As for the orginal question, are you getting kicked out of a 4-year or 2-year college? I'd say that you need to figure why your grades are low: work, poor study habits, etc. If you're not already on academic probation you probably won't get kicked out, but you have to make some changes if you are planning to stay in college. One of my friends went through the same thing during his freshman year at UCLA. He got a "D" an English and was placed on academic probation.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Potroast88 said:
I know a couple of girls that dropped out of my high school and they seem to be doing ok. They get like $15-$20 bucks for every BJ that they give. That's good coin!!
So three generations of prostitutes, a daughter, mother, and grandmother, are sitting on a stoop together. The youngest of the three says, "Damn, girls, life is tough these days. I can hardly get $50 for a blow job anymore." The mother responds truthfully and says, "Well, girl, it could be worse. Back in my prime, I was lucky to get $20 for the same deed."

The grandmother, frustrated by all the whining, says, "To hell with you girls. I was raised in the depression, and back then, we used to suck dick just to get something warm in our belly!"

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
OK, had a chat today and I am dismissed for sure. Although, If I take two quarters of classes and do well in them, I will be able to return to the university. This makes me feel better . . . I go to UCLA (I dunno whats worse, my hangover or the score from last night's game) and was really bummed about losing my spot at a 'prestigious' university. Now comes the hard part though, I have to decide how long of a walk I want to take (and if I want to sell myself).

Drinking/partying/screwing are not bringing me down, but I have no motivation it seems. I am studying microbiology and I think it is pretty interesting stuff, but maybe I am lying to myself. I used to want to study mechanical engineering so I could fondle machined and anodized hardware all day long . . . I am hooked up with a research lab that has a good crew of grad students (beer in the fridge in the break room) and I really enjoyed volunteering there this quarter. Maybe its because I dont know anyone who rides and there are no trails in riding distance and I am a hack when it comes to urban riding?

MMike said:
The key is to marry a rich girl so that you don't have to work. You could end up in a million dollar home and never have to lift a finger!
I hope my girlfriend gets a good job :love:

I Are Baboon said:
I didn't go to classes and didn't do my homework. I just didn't care. Funny how those two things can hurt your grades.
Whatever you decide though will shape how the rest of your life goes.
Thats me. The stuff is interesting but damn . . . this is me not caring :nopity:
I have the feeling that a degree (at least) is going to be a good thing in the long run.

Smelly said:
I don't know why so many people think that there's some sort of race to finish college
My dad was in school for a long time. Now, he is all old and all. Well, probably not "old" to most of you. I don't want to be too slow to keep up with my kid(s), not that my dad was too slow. Anyways, its better to get your foot in the door earlier rather than later.

skatetokil said:
borrow enough money for a plane ticket from your parents and then go to a third world country and teach english for a year or 2. that'll get your head on straight.
That sounds like a blast. How is the riding in South America?

the Inbred said:
everyone says "don't drop out, you'll never go back."
Ya, makes you think hard when you hear that.