Quantcast

So...who here is afraid of going bald?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm in my late twenties and of course, I'm noticing my hair is 'thinner' than how it was when I was yound lad. I'm not going bald per se but I think it might be in my future.

I'm just hoping medical science makes leaps and bounds within the next couple years.

Anyone else as pissed off as me?! :)

(It's almost winter so there's nothing else to talk about)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
canthuck said:
whats wrong with being bald? if you dont have a box head, youve got nuthin to worry about, trust me, bald is beautiful. -jess
Especially bald girl junk.

oh crap... did I just say that?!?!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think I have a pointy head and there's a dent towards the back...I shaved my head (with a straight razor) once when I was 18.

I looked like a skinhead.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If/when I start going bald, I am taking a razor to the rest of it. Nothing more desperate than a combover.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
MMike said:
I'm rockin' the receeding hairline.... I'm gonna have the ass-kickinest comb-over ever...
same here,, ill have the little *hair island* up front soon,,and im 26,, my dadas the same way and his crown is bald also..:nopity:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8 to just throw it in your balding faces but I am not balding at all... kinda sportin the Fabio look. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've got the receeding hairline. I've always figured I'd cut it short or shave it when it got bad. But I've ended up getting psoriasis on my scalp so my hair grows in thick clumps in certain spots, the only way to not look really stupid is to let it grow out a bit.:mumble:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
My uncles (all 5 of them) on my moms side of the family are bald....early bald. My 3 uncles on my dads side were silver/white before they reached 30yo.

:(

So far my hair is OK.....but the cards are stacked against me.

My buddies have varying degrees of hair loss. They rip on each other pretty good....it is contest to see who loses less hair. :rolleyes: They kind of circle and size each other up when they meet. Kind of silly if you ask me. I have hair, but am fat....so who am I to judge. ;)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i'm closin in on 50yrs.old soon. my hair isn't as thick as it used to be. no big deal,as long as there's no link between the lack of hair and a reduction in your top speed or reflexes.

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
As soon as my hair started showing signs of going I took a pair clippers to that muthaf'er, GIJane stlye. . . As I took it all off I screamed at my hair, "You don't leave me, I leave you!!!!"
True story.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm 23 (will be 24 next month) and my dad's whole side of the family is/has a bald spot, my mom's side all have hair. I've noticed in the last couple of years mine is thinner in the front than the back. I typically shave my head (#1 clip, girlfriend doesn't like the "no clip") LOL but we're getting there. If I find out that I am going to loose that hair altogether, I'll just keep my hair no clip short. I think that the "bald" look has always been an "in style" but it depends who accepts it for what it is. I've had my hair short all my life, so no big deal to shave it all off. But if I was the type who had hair growing up and such I'd probably be more worried than I currently am.

Plus my helmets fit better with less hair which is nice, and I don't feel so dirty when it's short. Right now I'm going on 4 weeks of hair growth since I last shaved my head and it sucks You just get a grimey feeling when it's long and you're not use to it. Now that I am reminded I'll shave it Friday :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My hair is falling out in an alarming rate, seems to have gotten worse since marriage & kids. Hopefully someday they'll find a cure, but until then, I'll just stay depressed. Good thing my wife doesn't mind.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm a few months from 40 and still have 97% of my hair. the tide is going out at a very slow pace, but barely noticeable. my mom's dad had hair until he died @ 93. i should be all set. just gotta figure out a way to keep it out of my ears.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm 21, receeding hairline definetly. My doctor recommended two things

1.) Some creme - Ya f' that.
2.) a pill, which i'm going to start taking.

The pill supposedly stops your hairloss, or at least slows it down. Worth a shot I figure. Catch is, you have to take it everyday, because as soon as you stop, all the hair you have saved will fall out (I commented on how I should do that for 50 years and then stop, then wake up completely bald the next day, she wasn't amused...). I believe the pill was called propetia (sp?)

Anyways, for the time being, just keep it short, DEFINETLY don't try to cover it up, that looks ghey.

I'm using the 1/2" razor cut now, maybe try for the 3/8" next time. Not too short by any means (not looking for that shaved look), but enough so that your hair loss blends in better, and isn't as noticable.

-Adam

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Is there anything to the old adage that you get the same baldness (or lack thereof) as your mother's dad? Can any of you receders attest? Cuz my dad lost a lot of hair, but my grandfathers both had full heads of hair. Mine has maybe thinned just a touch up front but nothing alarming yet (anti-jinx)...30 and going...fingers crossed.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
My dad is 56 years old and still has all his hair. I guess I'm lucky. Dont think there's any history of balding in my family :cool:

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I shave my head, I have no problem with it. Honestly women DO NOT CARE about your hair. The only crap I get is from other men. If you do lose your hair (or are losing it in my case) a shaved head and a bit of confidence goes a long way. Just look @ Vin Diesel, women flock to the guy!

I used to wear a baseball cap and I thought nobody could tell. A girl I was dating at the time said she didn't give one rats ass about my hair and told me to "shave it and forgetaboutit!" So I did. Never looked back on it once.

Men sometimes make remarks, I just always have a snappy comeback for 'em and it shuts 'em up. As long as you are confident with yourself, that is all that matters. In the big scheme of life, hairlines are meaningless.

~Just my two cents worth~

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I shave my head, been doing it for 4yrs or more, noticed my hair receeding when I was 18, now I am almost 28. don't miss the hair, just gets messed up anyways.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've always had a high hairline...everyone in my family does. Although in my very early twenties it started moving up a little. Throughout my twenties it's been thinning out and I say I lost the majority within the last 10 months!:
-moving out west
-having a stressful job
-living with my girlfried (can be stressful)
-financial issues
-trying to get into the Vancouver police (stressful hoops to jump through).

I'll just try to keep working out and gain as much weight as possible so when I do shave my head completely, I won't look too badly. At least I'll have muscles!

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I've been shaving my head for 8 years so the fact that I will inevitably be bald is pointless. I doubt it comes from your mothers side because my grandad didn't appear to ever lose a hair. I enjoy having a shaved head and tattoos because I look like a convict and people hold their purses closer when I walk by... hahahah. If a girl ever gives you **** about it, just say "hey, I'm bald and you have some fat on your ass. Nobody is perfect.." Then wait for the slap... If no slap comes, then she's a cool gal. Failproof test.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I shave my head every 3-5 days. I use to wear a hat from sun up to sun down. Now, I just sport the shaved head look. You have to have the right shape of head though. I guess Im lucky. Ive been told I have the perfect shaped head to sport the shaved head look.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Tenchiro said:
If/when I start going bald, I am taking a razor to the rest of it. Nothing more desperate than a combover.
Word. Just 0 or 1 blade it. No one will even notice that you don't have hair. Hide it in plain sight. Make people think that your hair style is your choice, not genetics.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
narlus said:
i'm a few months from 40 and still have 97% of my hair. the tide is going out at a very slow pace, but barely noticeable. my mom's dad had hair until he died @ 93. i should be all set. just gotta figure out a way to keep it out of my ears.

Summit said:
Is there anything to the old adage that you get the same baldness (or lack thereof) as your mother's dad? Can any of you receders attest? Cuz my dad lost a lot of hair, but my grandfathers both had full heads of hair. Mine has maybe thinned just a touch up front but nothing alarming yet (anti-jinx)...30 and going...fingers crossed.

Just a myth...Bald gene can come from either side of the family, so if your dad is bald you still have a 50% chance of also losing your hair. How do I know? i thought I was set because my maternal grandfather died with a full set of hair but when I turned 35 I started losing my hair. I looked into it and it turns out you can get the bald gene from either side of the family. My dad is bald...which he says started in his mid thirties. :dead:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Joe Pozer said:
Just a myth...Bald gene can come from either side of the family, so if your dad is bald you still have a 50% chance of also losing your hair. How do I know? i thought I was set because my maternal grandfather died with a full set of hair but when I turned 35 I started losing my hair. I looked into it and it turns out you can get the bald gene from either side of the family. My dad is bald...which he says started in his mid thirties. :dead:

Yeah...I seem to be going like my dad did...the good news that I'm clinging to is that while my dad has a high hairline/widow's peak, you wouldn't look at him and say he's bald. It's thin in spots, but he looks pretty good for 70.