Quantcast

So who out there is riding without health insurance?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I have really good insurance through my work. Emergency rooms visits and overnight luxury hospital accomodations cost me nothing. It's probably the only reason I haven't left my job. However, I did ride for a few months w/o insurance and that was scary to say the least.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have great insurance through my job. When I broke my leg last year it cost a total of 12.00 including parking. Had I been uninsured I would likely have had to declare bankruptcy. It was 10's of thousands of dollars to fix me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
seriously people. GET INSURANCE if you're going to be riding dh.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I'm one of the lucky ones that have insurance. Even at that I still had to pay out a good amount when I broke my collarbone and had surgery. I know way too many people that don't have insurance and DH and have gotten hurt.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I was so insured I made money when I broke my wrist. The missus was so impressed, next time she wants me to die.

rzakt

Chimp
Jun 23, 2005
Co
Insurance is deffinetly a good idea. Just recently I was hurt riding my bmx bike at the skatepark and ended up with a nice 5 day vacation in the hospital, with a nice surgery to top it off. I just got the total from my insurance company. When it was all said and done it cost $33,802. That was shock enough to make never want to go without health insurance.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I rode all last year w/o health insurance, which wasn't too great. I never wanted to take any risks. Now that I have it back with a new job[6 months ago] I've been riding alot faster. You could say I have health insurance inspired courage.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
MMike said:
[asshole point of view] So do you feel sorry for someone who gets hurt when they don't have insurance?[/asshole point of view]

You mean like Lars Sternberg?... Glad he isn't all crippled up but I do not feel the least bit sorry that he is going to have substantial medical bills because he does not have insurance...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
PonySoldier said:
You mean like Lars Sternberg?... Glad he isn't all crippled up but I do not feel the least bit sorry that he is going to have substantial medical bills because he does not have insurance...
Ah.... thank you...

I mean people are free to donate money to whatever cause they like.... but I just can't see it..... It's not like insurance is unattainable...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i rode for a long time without it. now i have a job that does not provide insurance and i buy it out of pocket now. my arm would have costed me right at 26,000.00 dollars after all was said and done. due to insurance i paid about 1300.00.

i rode for about 3 years without insurance. urban, DJ, DH, freeride..........

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MMike said:
[asshole point of view] So do you feel sorry for someone who gets hurt when they don't have insurance?[/asshole point of view]
Yes and No. I feel sorry for anyone that gets hurt riding. Having to sell you bike to pay for it sucks even worse. BUT, if you don't have insurance you shouldn't be riding DH. It seems like DH is one of those sports where it's not o question of IF you'll get hurt, it's a matter of WHEN you'll get hurt. It seems like most of us who DH have broken something. Not that XC isn't dangerous. All mountain biking is inherently dangerous I think but in DH you are going faster over more extreme terrain and probably taking larger risks on the trail.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
Ah.... thank you...

I mean people are free to donate money to whatever cause they like.... but I just can't see it..... It's not like insurance is unattainable...
i agree with you: it's a choice that people make, and the consequences, although rare, are easily predictable.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
biggins said:
i rode for a long time without it. now i have a job that does not provide insurance and i buy it out of pocket now. my arm would have costed me right at 26,000.00 dollars after all was said and done. due to insurance i paid about 1300.00.

i rode for about 3 years without insurance. urban, DJ, DH, freeride..........
Yes. But you've demonstrated before that you're not too bright.

;)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have been without health insurance since 18, now 23. I haven't gotten hurt or anything but then again I'm pretty slow on the trails. I don't try anything stupid nor see if I can really go faster. I just ride to ride, not to impress anyone besides myself :)

But I agree with the above, health insurance is needed and most jobs of some sort will assist you depending on profession on getting some. Weather it's good or not is to be questioned but atleast it's something. I didn't have health insurance at my old work (4 years working there) because the owner was too cheap to purchase or assist with health insurance for any of his employee's but would make a deal of getting it for himself having the sales people come in and such), and since I've been out of work for a while now that is a big plur to get when I go back to a new job. I'd take the little less pay but have decent benifits in health insurance.

Even at $50-80 a month for the basic whatever from a company ain't bad, but not working & spending another $80 a month is the last thing I want to do.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Spunger said:
but not working & spending another $80 a month is the last thing I want to do.
But getting stuck with at $15k+ medical bill is even worse. You don't have to be riding fast to get hurt, in fact, you don't even have to be riding. You could just be walking down the stairs and fall. In other words, you may think you are saving money but if something happens you will be paying a lot more for the rest of your life.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Spunger said:
<snip>

Even at $50-80 a month for the basic whatever from a company ain't bad, but not working & spending another $80 a month is the last thing I want to do.
Dude. Get a catastrophic/major medical plan. Assuming you don't smoke or have existing conditions, I'll bet you can find one for less than $50/month.

Get one.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
I dont have Health insurance, but I live in New Zealand, so I dont need it, Yay more money for bike bling! :thumb:

We have a whole system which takes care of you when you've been an idiot and munted yourself, and yes I have availed my self of it services in the past, twice for DH related muntage(1 full body pummeling including a bruised kidney, 1 shoulder barging a large rock!), and once when my back fell to bits. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MMike said:
Nope....I'm sure that sounds cold but honestly if you can fork out the money for a bike and all the goodies that go with it, spend a little money on your body :think: I mean how cool is to not have health insurance? :nope:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have medical coverage both short term and perm. disability.....I leave nothing to chance..I have kids and they will must be taken care of.....D

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Ciaran said:
I have great insurance through my job. When I broke my leg last year it cost a total of 12.00 including parking. Had I been uninsured I would likely have had to declare bankruptcy. It was 10's of thousands of dollars to fix me.
that just sounds TOO good to be true...i just can't believe it was THAT cheap

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
MMike said:
"You lie (lay?) in the bed you make".
When K broke her femur the total bill ended up at ~$80,000.
I was briefly without insurance about 5 years ago and my parents freaked. They said if I hurt myself they would sell the house if need be. So I stopped riding for awhile- I think it only ended up being a couple of weeks. Riding w/out insurance felt like riding DH w/out pads.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
ridetoofast said:
that just sounds TOO good to be true...i just can't believe it was THAT cheap
Some of my benefits are wierd. I have an HMO. They wouldn't pay anything towards a non-perscription knee brace but I had somehting like a $1,200 no deductable line on a perscription brace. I don't remember any out-of-pocket for the surgery. Maybe like $20 for a visit, and my insurance also had no deductable PT for like 90 days after surgery. I really don't get it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Percy said:
I dont have Health insurance, but I live in New Zealand, so I dont need it, Yay more money for bike bling! :thumb:

We have a whole system which takes care of you when you've been an idiot and munted yourself, and yes I have availed my self of it services in the past, twice for DH related muntage(1 full body pummeling including a bruised kidney, 1 shoulder barging a large rock!), and once when my back fell to bits. :)
:stupid:

When I liven in the States I had health insurance, and only had to use it once, for a MTB / tree-caused impact wound to the shin. I got treated at Stanford Medical Center, and the treatment was superb, if a little over the top. I had like 6 machines beeping and whiring away, keeping me from dying. :D I got like 50 painkiller injections around the site of the 3" x 2" injury, and it healed up real good after they spend about an hour cleaning and disinfecting the wound. In the UK it would have been an antiseptic wipe and a couple of stiches. No idea how much it cost, but I'm sure it was a few $$.

splat

Nam I am
Get health insurance!!! At my work we just got changed from really good in surance to so so .
But still
look at it from this point of view. suppose you come down with something -- Like Lyme Disease! I'm Still getting the Bills and statements so far up to $13k and so far I owe about $1k of it. do you know how much MRI's cost ? the 3 on my Skull were $1000 each!!! , Me pay nothing for them :)

and after all this , I have decided I don't have enough Life insuracne. so I will be upping that for the wife and Kids sake.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I had pretty good insurance when I was hit by a car on the road. So far I'm out about $500. The bills have been thousands, and could be thousands more, since I'm having to go in for a neuro workup. And yes I was wearing a helmet.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
Riding without insurance is never a good call...

Speaking of insurance...How do these motocross guys that break bones weekly get insured? Are they sponsored by insurance companies or something...Who in their right mind would insure them...:confused:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Zack said:
Riding without insurance is never a good call...

Speaking of insurance...How do these motocross guys that break bones weekly get insured? Are they sponsored by insurance companies or something...Who in their right mind would insure them...:confused:

The insurance companies have kicked it around and in some states have tried to get legislation passed that would allow them to deny coverage to high risk people like DHers, rock climbers, etc. So far I am unaware of any state that has passed any laws allowing it. I carry the high deductable on my wife so when she broke her arm-mountain biking I paid the whole $1500. In one of our follow up visits I saw a rodeo rider with a busted arm-now there's another high risk group. The fact that I will have to pay everything to $6000 or so doesnt really bother me because after that she is covered all the way to $2 million.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Anybody know about the Colorado outdoor insurance? I was talking to a friend who works for Vail and he told be about it after hearing about how my gf was helicoptered. I guess that its cheap but only covers outdoor accidents like getting lost and/or hurt in the wilderness. Also, I think that it may only cover the search-and-rescue part of it, not the hospital/er bills.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
That one I think is for the rescue part. Those helicopters are more expensive than you think. I crashed in the sticks and had to fly 100 miles or so. I do remember thinking who is paying for this before I passed out, I also thought I hope they dont crash, but then it doesnt matter anyway cause I am almost dead. Anyway the bill was almost $11,000. My wife pre-authorized it with the insurance company. She told me if it happens again she will have the helicopter drop my body somewhere over the high cascades.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Borregokid said:
That one I think is for the rescue part. Those helicopters are more expensive than you think. I crashed in the sticks and had to fly 100 miles or so. I do remember thinking who is paying for this before I passed out, I also thought I hope they dont crash, but then it doesnt matter anyway cause I am almost dead. Anyway the bill was almost $11,000. My wife pre-authorized it with the insurance company. She told me if it happens again she will have the helicopter drop my body somewhere over the high cascades.
K's bill helicopter bill was $8,300. Even as they were pumping her full of morphine they were asking her about billing information :stosh: