Quantcast

so who wants to hire me?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
biggins said:
i could be done in about 2 years. As for livin with my sister, hell no. That would last all of about a month before i would get very mean to her husband.

ya i accept the responsibility for not finishing college. i dont wanna come off as one of " the world is unfair, i deserve this that and the other" people. But i cincerely do beleive that if someone would give me a chance i could show them what the hell i am made of.

the other problem with going back to school is my monthly debt that i pay. I dont see how i can pay rent, utilities, CC consolidation, blah blah on a part time job when its pretty impossible to do on the full time job i have now.

Maybe its just that i dont understand.

on top of that, what would i do about health insurance and things of that nature? Health insurance is something very valuable to me. My arm would have costed 26,000.00 dollars this year if i didnt have insurance.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Biggins - quit posting these whiny diatribes. Either get hold of yourself and find a new job or just continue to do your crap job that pays $hite.

I'm starting to think you're a chicken-boy. :think:

Move to Flagstaff, you knob.

-S.S.-

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
OK here is some real advice Ben. You are a people person so.... Shave your burns, put on a nice shirt and walk into a car dealership and try selling. Look at how it is worked out for that one guy who's house party you took me to. Unfortunately for the most part there are a few types of people that make good money in this world. (not necessarily in order)

1) Educated Professionals
2) Sales
3) Entreprenurial types with a combo of 1&2 and some capital

Which category can you fit into?

The national avg salary for a sales person at a Franchised Dealership (ie ... new car place, Ford, Chevy, Toyota etc) is.... get this...
Almost 80k per year. That is the AVERAGE. Of course there is a huge turnover and long hours, but what do you have to lose by trying? Most of the bigger stores prefer just smart professional looking folks with some sales or customer service experience. They will train you the rest of the way. More than likely you will end up working a ton of hours at first, but they usually work in swing shifts, so you can still ride early in the AM and go to work at like noon or 1 on your late days.

I would recommend for your first stop some place that has high volume. IE Ford, Chevy, Toyota or something along those lines. Beggining sales people need floor traffic to make it. You also know a ton of people in town, so it won't be long before you develop a big referral network.

Good luck.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
biggins said:
on top of that, what would i do about health insurance and things of that nature? Health insurance is something very valuable to me. My arm would have costed 26,000.00 dollars this year if i didnt have insurance.
You're starting to sound like a 40 year-old man whose afraid to get outside his little box.

Get outside your little box, man. And LIVE a little while you're at it........ :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
biggins said:
When I was going to school, they had some deal that was like $300 for the whole year.

There is also sports insurance that is pretty cheap that is also $200 or so a year. Covers racing and everything. Deductible is probably $1000.

You might run into trouble with your college credits if it has been over 5 or 6 years since you last attended school. Maybe not.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
i could be done in about 2 years. As for livin with my sister, hell no. That would last all of about a month before i would get very mean to her husband.
Sometimes you gotta suck it up and look at the long term.

But i cincerely do beleive that if someone would give me a chance i could show them what the hell i am made of.
So do I. So does everyone. Sometimes you need to do something to show them that you deserve that chance: like college. I hear ya', it blows that they rely so heavily on that, but there has to be a general way to judge potential employees and that's the way they do it. Everyone says, "give me a chance", but businesses aren't there to give people chances, they're there to make money.

the other problem with going back to school is my monthly debt that i pay. I dont see how i can pay rent, utilities, CC consolidation, blah blah on a part time job when its pretty impossible to do on the full time job i have now.

Maybe its just that i dont understand.
I don't know what you pay for rent, utilities, etc. but given the housing values I see down in N.C., I'd say you're living outside of your means. Do you have a car payment? That's a big one. CC consolidation: how much money do you have left to pay? Can you extend the terms to get a lower monthly payment? Do you pay careful attention to your finances or do you spend money whenever you feel like it? Can you move into a less expensive apartment, even if it's not as nice?

My ex-girlfriend went to school full time and worked 20hrs/week. She paid a $400 rent bill, another $100 worth of utilities, car insurance, cell phone, and renters insurance. It can be done.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
You're starting to sound like a 40 year-old man whose afraid to get outside his little box.

Get outside your little box, man. And LIVE a little while you're at it........ :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

hahaha sweet. Are you in flag?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I Are Baboon said:
I might get to hire someone to do my grunt work. That would rock.

Biggins, what is your education level, what are your computer skills, and how would you feel about reporting to a baboon? :D

Watch out Biggins... Kissing the boss's azz can be dangerous when its big, red, and swollen.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Wumpus said:
When I was going to school, they had some deal that was like $300 for the whole year.

There is also sports insurance that is pretty cheap that is also $200 or so a year. Covers racing and everything. Deductible is probably $1000.

You might run into trouble with your college credits if it has been over 5 or 6 years since you last attended school. Maybe not.
sports insurance huh? do you have to compete to have coverage like that?

oh and it would be almost 5 years since i have been in school.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
well my background is in hands on types things and trades. My current position is Service Technician for US Cellular. I work on cell phones and perform software uprgrades on them as well as interact been working on it a lot lately with applications like excel and word and the standard programs included in Office XP. I did attend college for a few years but never finished and that is my main drawback. As far as relocating i would be willing depending on the place and the job. I can learn anything and i am a very intelligent person.
How about applying for something similar at Cingular / Verizon / T-Mobile? :confused:

Also, if you are serious about the going back to college thing, there's another option......parents. Talk to them and see if they would loan you some money. Some people are completely against this, the whole I want to do it myself thing, but this is a gift you can return to your own kids someday. Just another option to consider.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
biggins said:
sports insurance huh? do you have to compete to have coverage like that?

Don't know the details about it. Just heard about it through a buddy that races jet skis.

There is also catastrophic insurance(not really sure of the name), but does the same thing. High deductible, but pays for the big ones. Also, some hospitals will suck up the deductible if you are a below a certain wage limit.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
come to Rochester and get a job with Cooper Vision. they are always looking for people. and it has ALL benifits and 401k and such. you can pick your hours as long as its in 8hour intervals.
i'm acctually thinkin to do it, once i'm done making Ridemonkey hats and beenies....

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
biggins said:
i also have retail management experience as well as tons of experience working with customers
hey biggins if you want to move out to the midwest here, I saw that a conoco in Frisco was hiring, if you found a cheap apartment that'd be the coolest place in Colorado to live. Being that its a 20 minute drive from Breckenridge, Keystone, A-Basin, and is a half hour away from Copper, within 45 minutes of Vail, and less than an hour and a half from Winterpark/Mary Jane..... Yeah, badass I know. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
DHS said:
come to Rochester and get a job with Cooper Vision. they are always looking for people. and it has ALL benifits and 401k and such. you can pick your hours as long as its in 8hour intervals.
i'm acctually thinkin to do it, once i'm done making Ridemonkey hats and beenies....
what is cooper vision?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
berkshire_rider said:
How about applying for something similar at Cingular / Verizon / T-Mobile? :confused:

Also, if you are serious about the going back to college thing, there's another option......parents. Talk to them and see if they would loan you some money. Some people are completely against this, the whole I want to do it myself thing, but this is a gift you can return to your own kids someday. Just another option to consider.
well as far as i know verizon is the only other company that has service technicians and i have been watchin them like a hawk.

my parents dont make enough money to do that and they already have done so much for me.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I know a college education sounds like a bunch of red tape and in the end you won't really learn anything but consider this:

I was hired by my current employer after graduating from a 4 year program. We had another employee who had worked for the company for 14 years without any formal education past high school, but I'd consider us to have equivalent aptitudes and inteligence. From the first day I started working I never felt that the self taught employee had any advantage over myself even with his 14 years experience. The only advantage he had was familiarity with our products which I was able to pick up as quickly as would be expected.

There are classes that seem like a bunch of red tape and just some dues you pay to society so they'll let you work, but I've found that the more you sit in classes, even if the course material is repetitive or simple, just being exposed to the material in an academic environment helps expand your mind. I didn't feel like I learned a whole lot going through college, most of the classes were courses I'd already had some exposure to in high school or researched on my own as a hobby, but almost every day I'll have some problem in front of me where I'll remember one of the little details that I picked up in college. The details are usually not that significant and I could have usually come up with them on my own had I thought about it long enough, but the fact that I can have near instant recall of some subject really does put me ahead of somebody who is just like myself but without an education because he'll have near instant recall of a blank space where I can think of some lecture or a laboratory assignemt and interpolate.

You find yourself in a tough spot, you do have skills but they are not really skills that take an enormous amount of experience to perfect, more it's an aptitude and attitude that will make you succede in customer service and I don't doubt that you are very good at what you are doing. The downside is that customer service related carrears have metrics that are more qualatative than quantitative, meaning you can't exactly put a number on how well you can explain technical things over the phone or how cheerful you sound when helping a difficult customer, one of the few quantitative things you actually can show a potential employer is a degree and that alone will set you aside from the rest of the applicants.

If you don't have the means to go back to school I'd suggest looking for job outside of customer service, what else are you good at? Construction pays very well if you have the aptitude but without experience it may be difficult to get into the field. If you can get into some kind of manufacturing for example working for an injection molder or a parts assembly house, you'll start off with low pay but if you exhibit some leadership abilities you'll quickly advance to be a lead man or shift supervisor.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
biggins said:
well as far as i know verizon is the only other company that has service technicians and i have been watchin them like a hawk.

my parents dont make enough money to do that and they already have done so much for me.
T-mobile has a phone development dept. Not sure of the actual job title, but they test phones, test software, yadda yadda yadda...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
very nice. i agree with Kornflake. i didn't finish college. and found a couple pretty good jobs. but i found i'm really good with computer. building them and modify them
then somehow in there i became a Custom Embroider. yea random.
ever since then, my company has been sending me on business trips to either learn more or meet to customers and such. (they pay for everything)
**** college. :)
but what do i know

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i may have found a solution to many of my problems. a college here in my town offers a few limtied programs that are tailored to fit adult work schedules. I can work full time and still finish school. Sounds pretty cool. To top it all off if i were to stay at the job i am at now, which i probably will not do any way, they will do tuition reimbursment. So they would reimburse for books and tuition then when i am done i can just quit here an thank them for the college education.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
i may have found a solution to many of my problems. a college here in my town offers a few limtied programs that are tailored to fit adult work schedules. I can work full time and still finish school. Sounds pretty cool. To top it all off if i were to stay at the job i am at now, which i probably will not do any way, they will do tuition reimbursment. So they would reimburse for books and tuition then when i am done i can just quit here an thank them for the college education.

There ya go... Good plan

Bonus points for the additional poon you will meet in class.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
biggins said:
Sounds like a good plan. But Flagstaff would be more fun.......... :think:

-S.S.-

Kiltim

Chimp
Nov 6, 2004
Okinawa, Japan
I feel your pain man. I am in the USMC right now...and i've been looking at jobs for when I get out. I had to look VERY hard just to find one that didn't require some sort of college degree. So finding a steady,good paying job once i get out is gonna be tough. But being that I will be a Veteran and I lived in MA before I came in...I can go to around 25-30 colleges in MA TUITION FREE. Plus the GI bill will give me around 1,000$ a month if i am attending college....even a Community College or a cheap State School. So I guess my only option is to go to college first. Only thing I need to worry about is getting accepted.....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
College will allow you to get into the door of a corporation, primarly when they are highering thats what they want to see. I have 2 years of school behind me and dropped out. School was just never for me, but I've done okay for myself so far. The bottom line is you either have what it takes to be sucessful or you don't, it doesn't matter how much education you have behind you.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i have what it takes but school is very difficult for me.not the actual school work per se just the routine, the boredom, the bs that is associated with it. The monotany the homogenity of it all kills my spirit and makes me long for something better.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
biggins said:
well i have what it takes but school is very difficult for me.not the actual school work per se just the routine, the boredom, the bs that is associated with it. The monotany the homogenity of it all kills my spirit and makes me long for something better.
Take up a construction trade. Wanna make good money become a Plumber.

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
binary visions said:
Sometimes you gotta suck it up and look at the long term.
:thumb: That's right.

You got to make sacrifices. I hated my job as well, but realized without an education, it would be more of the same if I looked for a different one. So in July of 2001 I put a plan in effect - paid off bills, saved money for future bills, saved money for school, etc.

If I was single, it would have been so easy. But I'm not. I have a wife and a 4yo son. I sold my 3bdrm home on 1.5acres. I now live in a 2bdrm mobile on which I pay lot rent. All my neighbors are over 70yo, it's great. :rolleyes: At least it's quiet, and they are friendly. I left a union job paying me 60g a year, w/o overtime. I still had about 15g available for the upper jobs, I was only the 3rd job up in a 7 job ladder. I had great benefits for my entire family. The list goes on... blah, blah, blah. You get the point.

Is it scary? Hell yeah! You just have to do it if you want something different for yourself and your (future?) family. That's the biggest reason I made the move. If I were a single guy, I probably just would have stayed. I did it for my son so that he will see the importance of an education, and so that I would be more than just some guy in his life that payed the bills (I worked horrendous hours).

After nearly 14 yrs being out, my first day of school is tomorrow. I'm so grateful I followed through. I advise you, Biggins to do the same.

btw, just so the crowd knows I recognize.... BIG thanks to my wife for all the support.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
Please see my earlier post about sucking it up.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i need a job, too. i was the sole mechanic for a team that rode 4000+ miles this summer, i'm efficient with Excel, and i'm goal oriented. prefer either a bike shop, or lawyer's office. pay? i'm not stingy. just pay me enough to live and i'll be happy. hook me up, yo!

--edit--

better yet, anyone want to send me to UBI? huh huh huh? i'll heart you forever, and give you free tune-ups fo' life.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
binary visions said:
Please see my earlier post about sucking it up.

what you dont understand BV is that i can not control it. I am very intelligent but i cant control the way i respond to it. trust me on this, 3 times i have tried already.