Quantcast

So who's leaving tomorrow to spend the next week at Snowbird???

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
me.

that's right.

me. :thumb:

very excited. think work's gonna pretty much be a wash today. especially since i have meetings in the afternoon...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Not me, I just got back from a week in Grand Caymen where it was refreshingly snow-free. Make sure you wear a Patriots Starter jacket and jeans to piss off guys like S.S!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Dude - the Bird has been getting POUNDED. I've got a buddy that lives in Big Cottonwood Canyon and they got 6 feet in 6 days. :eek:

You should have a BLAST! :thumb:

-S.S.-

P.S. I have nothing but pity for the poor sould skiing around in jeans. That *has* to be horribly uncomfortable.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
I'm jealous and I live at a ski resort, just not the Bird. Have fun and take pics, altho if you're like me you'd be too busy schroupin' to take any.
Dude - have you ever seen this site? POWDER!!

Those fuggers in Utah......... :mumble: They've probably had 50 or 60 legitimate powder days this season.

-S.S.-

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I am going to Brianhead today. It is in southern Utah. I don't know about 60 days here in the South but we have had a lot of them.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
gschuette said:
I am going to Brianhead today. It is in southern Utah. I don't know about 60 days here in the South but we have had a lot of them.
You guys do have an arseload of snow down there, dontcha? :thumb:

Might be a good year for some gnarly ski descents in Bryce Canyon. :think:

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Liek...180 inch base at Alta....WARRRGH! I want to go. They got something like 40 inches yesterday.

It's sloppy spring snow though...

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
dan-o said:
Not me, I just got back from a week in Grand Caymen where it was refreshingly snow-free. Make sure you wear a Patriots Starter jacket and jeans to piss off guys like S.S!
hehe, at home in NM it's Texans from Midland or Dallas with their Cowboys Starter jackets, jeans soaked in Armor-All (for waterproofing I guess), and 10 gallon hat. I guess it goes to show there be rednecks everywhere.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
SkaredShtles said:
Just go hit the backcountry man......... they've only had 6 feet in 6 days. :rolleyes:

:eek:
Seriously thinking about doing the 1 day avy training course they run out of their Heli outfit. morning classroom and then helicopter ride up for on snow portion in the backcountry. only $100. problem is i might want to not give up that day of skiing. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Barbaton said:
Seriously thinking about doing the 1 day avy training course they run out of their Heli outfit. morning classroom and then helicopter ride up for on snow portion in the backcountry. only $100. problem is i might want to not give up that day of skiing. :)
Be careful - a client in an avy class in Aspen ended up taking a mortal ride in an avy not too long ago.

Mmmm........ heli skiing............

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Just go hit the backcountry man......... they've only had 6 feet in 6 days. :rolleyes:

:eek:

It takes me 1/2 tank of gas to get to Salt Lake...

Gas in tank: Below E
Money in wallet: 0$

And the fact that I have no BC experience scares me...

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
SkaredShtles said:
You guys do have an arseload of snow down there, dontcha? :thumb:

Might be a good year for some gnarly ski descents in Bryce Canyon. :think:

-S.S.-

Hell yeah! Blues were impossible yesterday. I tried one blue once and had to do the XC shuffle down it. SNow was dry though. Cut a turn and a big plume would go over your head. As long as I stayed on blacks it was kick ass skiing.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Oh yeah and I would die if I tried to ski Bryce Canyon or Cedar Breaks. I would like to watch some one try though.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
Snowbird Rules. My first try at snowboarding ever was at Snowbird in January. I was blown away at how beautiful the place is.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
blue said:
...You can ski Bryce? :think:
Sure - it's supposed to be a really nice area for touring in the winter. But some of those canyons would have some kickass ski descents. Short, but steep and you'd be skiing right down through the hoodoos. :thumb:

-S.S.-

I'll be damned - I wouldn't be the first...........

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Sure - it's supposed to be a really nice area for touring in the winter. But some of those canyons would have some kickass ski descents. Short, but steep and you'd be skiing right down through the hoodoos. :thumb:

-S.S.-

Nice ghey ass rainbow poles. :thumb:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-

Shiiiiiiiiit.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Sitting in the Wildflower Bar, sipping my Full Suspension Ale, enjoying the warmth of the fire and soothing the soreness that comes from a day of big mountain powder skiing. Could get used to this

In other words. Day 1 was good. Loads of snow, haven't seen anything uncovered yet. A bit warm and slushy at the base but nothing to complain about. Forecast calls for overnight snow. :)

Apparently we have wireless in this bar so I can still get my RM fix. :)

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
blue said:
...You can ski Bryce? :think:

You live in So Utah?

I don't have the skill to ski Bryce.

I live in Cedar City for the time being. I go to school there. If it weren't for the skiing and bikeing Utah would be the most boring state in the Union.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
gschuette said:
I don't have the skill to ski Bryce.

I live in Cedar City for the time being. I go to school there. If it weren't for the skiing and bikeing Utah would be the most boring state in the Union.
It's true. Except right now, we have neither in Logan.

:mumble:

I need to go down to So Utah and ride again...

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Big storm here and another on the way tomorrow night. knee deep today. strongly encouraging any SLC monkeys to skip work tomorrow.

oh, and this afternoon's beer is Wasatch Polygamy Porter "Why Have Just One"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Barbaton said:
Big storm here and another on the way tomorrow night. knee deep today. strongly encouraging any SLC monkeys to skip work tomorrow.

oh, and this afternoon's beer is Wasatch Polygamy Porter "Why Have Just One"
They're saying 30 inches at the resorts. Can you say 200 inch base?

There may very well be flooding in SLC if it gets warm fast...I wish I had the $ to make it down there. Damned Sea Otter...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
blue said:
They're saying 30 inches at the resorts. Can you say 200 inch base?

There may very well be flooding in SLC if it gets warm fast...I wish I had the $ to make it down there. Damned Sea Otter...
I had you with all your snow. :(

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So good powder day yesterday. No internet yesterday eve as drinks of choice were martinis at the Aerie sushi bar, one of the amenities here that I have a love-hate relationship with. Seems out of place at a ski resort but pretty good food.

It started snowing heavily again last night, and this morning the following sign greeted us at the door: "Interlodge Travel Restricted. Extreme Avalanche Danger; It is Illegal to Leave this Building"

So I guess we're in for the meantime. Gonna be some wicked first tracks when they open the slopes, tho...

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
oh, and new experience for me this week. It's disconcerting to be woken up at 5:30am by the ski patrol shooting the avy artillery followed a couple seconds later by the deep rumble. Sometimes it sounds like it's right behind the building. creepy.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
so i know nobody actually cares, but I think i'll just keep doing this since I've started...

Finally got on the hill today, which was open from 10:30-2:30. Only got in about 6 runs (demoed some Pocket Rockets midday and the ****nuts at the shop took 40 mins to set them up).

Waist-deep+ powder everywhere. All of the cars have turned into unidentifiable humps. There was a sign on the tram as we went up that said "Expert skiers only. Really!" I blazed a previously unskied line right down the headwall from the top of the tram on the Regulator Johnston side. Felt like I was in a TGR movie. :)

oh, and drinks of choice this afternoon - tequila shots in the condo since the bars are closed as the canyon road from SLC is closed indefinitely. mmm, tequila