Quantcast

So why does this seem like a bad idea?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/04/10/moon.mission.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- NASA plans to crash a space probe into the moon in 2009 -- a collision so violent it will be visible on Earth through a telescope, the space agency said Monday.

The moon crash, part of a larger mission that includes a lunar orbiter, is a quest for ice. Water is the key ingredient for supporting future human outposts on the moon, a goal of the Bush administration.

NASA scientists say the collision should excavate a hole about a third the size of a football field and hurl a plume of debris into space.
You gotta love it when rocket scientists go "Hey y'all watch this."

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hmmmm.....a guy from texas in charge in charge of a gun big enough to shoot the moon. now that sounds like a winner there.

did anyone in history ever predict the apocolypse was going to happen in 2009?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The second half of the probe will then run through the cloud to collect data and look for water. Then it will also crash into the moon, this time on the bright side of the moon, and the cloud will be spectrum analyzed from earth for water and other elements.

It's not like they are doing it for fun.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Transcend said:
The second half of the probe will then run through the cloud to collect data and look for water. Then it will also crash into the moon, this time on the bright side of the moon, and the cloud will be spectrum analyzed from earth for water and other elements.

It's not like they are doing it for fun.
Hey, who doesn't do spectral analysis in their free time?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kinghami3 said:
Hey, who doesn't do spectral analysis in their free time?
My main frame crashed due to using Windows Vista beta. Now i can only look up and admire the sparkly bits in the sky. :(

Edit: Also, ramming **** into the moon is just cool. I'd elect wasting a few mill on that before I elected to waste a few hundred million on "spreading democracy".

elRey

Turbo Monkey
Transcend said:
My main frame crashed due to using Windows Vista beta. Now i can only look up and admire the sparkly bits in the sky. :(

Edit: Also, ramming **** into the moon is just cool. I'd elect wasting a few mill on that before I elected to waste a few hundred million on "spreading democracy".
I'd second that.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
That doesn't seem like a bad idea. It sounds like great marketing. Do you have any idea how many people show up for NASCAR races? Do you know why they go to those races?

The crashes!

The American public doesn't seem to care about NASA but they just may start to take notice if things crash and go boom.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sweet. We should see if we can change the orbit of the moon too, while we're at it. It's not like the moon has any effect on the earth or the weather or anything. I can see it now:

Probe: "BOOM!"
NASA genius: "Oops, should have used a smaller probe."
Moon: "So long, suckers!"

J

JRB

Echo said:
Sweet. We should see if we can change the orbit of the moon too, while we're at it. It's not like the moon has any effect on the earth or the weather or anything. I can see it now:

I'm gonna be really f'n mad if high tide is at my house, which is presently several hundred miles from the coast.

I think it's cool, but I'm also not thinking it's all that good an idea to start blowing it up. How about a trip with some monkeys (not ridemonkeys) and a shovel???

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echo said:

Damn it Echo, we were keeping that part a secret.

edit: Loco's so screwed.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
loco said:
I'm gonna be really f'n mad if high tide is at my house, which is presently several hundred miles from the coast.

I think it's cool, but I'm also not thinking it's all that good an idea to start blowing it up. How about a trip with some monkeys (not ridemonkeys) and a shovel???
If it were ridemonkeys with shovels, just think about how far apart the doubles would need to be!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
biggins said:
hmmmm.....a guy from texas in charge in charge of a gun big enough to shoot the moon. now that sounds like a winner there.

did anyone in history ever predict the apocolypse was going to happen in 2009?
Yes... The aztec calendar, which is supposed to go "forever" ends in (or around) 2009. I also think that Nostrodamus had some end of days predictions for 2007-9.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Echo said:

Either that, or we will end up hitting some fault, and the moon will split in half. How would you like to explain THAT to your kids.
Sorry son (sun ;) ) Dad broke the moon.

J

JRB

GumbaFish said:
I didn't realize we owned the moon and could just ram **** into it. But I mean hey maybe they want to drill for oil there too...I HATE BUSH!
Not to be the dillhole to say not to turn this political, but I think the Feds, for the most part, think that NASA is stupid.

Don't make this political, people. Jeebus.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
NASA is merely adjusting their goals a bit.
Ending missions in fiery explosions is their strong suit. This experiment makes it intentional and puts an X in the win column.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
-BB- said:
Yes... The aztec calendar, which is supposed to go "forever" ends in (or around) 2009. I also think that Nostrodamus had some end of days predictions for 2007-9.
Okay that's not funny.

Whew its not 2009..... its 2012. I guess that's how long its going to take for the Moon to crash into the earth.

J

JRB

GumbaFish said:
"LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- NASA plans to crash a space probe into the moon in 2009 -- a collision so violent it will be visible on Earth through a telescope, the space agency said Monday.

The moon crash, part of a larger mission that includes a lunar orbiter, is a quest for ice. Water is the key ingredient for supporting future human outposts on the moon, a goal of the Bush administration.

NASA scientists say the collision should excavate a hole about a third the size of a football field and hurl a plume of debris into space."
Gee I don't know, it seems pretty political already. If you like Bush great.
Thanks - it's always easier to see things when they are bolded. I don't walk around conjuring demons, so I missed that.

That man must think he is God or something. :rolleyes:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
GumbaFish said:
"LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- NASA plans to crash a space probe into the moon in 2009 -- a collision so violent it will be visible on Earth through a telescope, the space agency said Monday.

NASA scientists say the collision should excavate a hole about a third the size of a football field and hurl a plume of debris into space."
Gee I don't know, it seems pretty political already. If you like Bush great.
Go bother the stinky thread about this in the political debate forum, pinhead.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'm sorry I got your staunch republican panties in such a bunch. I just happen to think it is a poor choice to crash something into the moon to try and find traces of ice for a possible moon base. And I happen to respectfully disagree with the views of the current administration.

J

JRB

GumbaFish said:
I'm sorry I got your staunch republican panties in such a bunch. I just happen to think it is a poor choice to crash something into the moon to try and find traces of ice for a possible moon base. And I happen to respectfully disagree with the views of the current administration.
I do too, but that's not what this thread is about. Derailments are fine, unless they are political derailments. Those always end up moved, and I don't like it down there.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
There Loco I took it out. See all you guys had to do was put it like that and I realized you were right, it didn't belong here. Next time just point it out and be reasonable about it and I don't have a problem moderating myself to keep a thread on track.

J

JRB

GumbaFish said:
There Loco I took it out. See all you guys had to do was put it like that and I realized you were right, it didn't belong here. Next time just point it out and be reasonable about it and I don't have a problem moderating myself to keep a thread on track.
Right on. :thumb: I am gonna leave mine where I look like a dumb ass in, just for that. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ever see those craters in the moon? Crap crashes into it all the time. Chit hits the earth all the time too, our atmosphere burns most of it up for us, water hides 3/4 of the rest etc.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Ever see those craters in the moon? Crap crashes into it all the time. Chit hits the earth all the time too, our atmosphere burns most of it up for us, water hides 3/4 of the rest etc.
Stuff used to crash into the earth and the moon a lot, but most of the debris in the solar system that's big enough to make a crater already did. Otherwise they could just wait for something to hit the moon and watch instead of spending 600 billion tax dollars.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...I don't know... treating the moon like a bowling pin in Ted Nugent's backyard, makes me nervous.

I'm sure NASA has done the calculations, but these were the same guys who said they had "fixed" the falling foam debris issue with the shuttle. At least they gounded the fleet this time.

...and yeah, walking out your front door in Ohio and having to surf to Pennsylvania to see the relatives would suck.