Quantcast

So yeah, Whistler 2020

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh canada. So civilized. They can't take away your bike park privileges if you never get/have them. (the freedum thought process)

In murka we'd just get some roided up cops to beat the shit out of you, taze you to the point of cardiac failure and then plant a baggie of crack in your shorts. All while instituting a 12billion dollar fine for some reason.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Yup, WB went public, spent more than a few years dialing in their ops, development, long term plans, being really successful and pumping up the value, then cashed the fuck out
Just FWIW

Enterprise value for WB at end-of-quarter before the sale was reported at $1.03B, with market capitalization at $700m.
Vail paid $1.06B with ~50% of that in cash (<$600m) and the rest in VR stocks.

Meaning Vail's out of pocket cash to buy WB was less than WB's total market capitalization. The owners of WB must have clearly seen more long term upside with VR stock than their own, and were able to extract some cash to convert over.

So yes, early WB share holders I am sure did great. And not exactly a distressed sale, but certainly not taking Vail to the cleaners. Looks like WB exec's were smart enough to sell out on top at fair market price, rather than sit on it too long and see the value slide. You only sell at enterprise value if you are certain you are not going to get more later.

anyways, no horse in this race.
just bored and found it interesting to look into.
sorry to keep pulling on the string

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So yes, early WB share holders I am sure did great. And not exactly a distressed sale, but certainly not taking Vail to the cleaners.

Dafuq you babbling about? :rofl:

No one said anything about some dickbag's stock value. We're talking about previously fully functional businesses that provide jobs, ones existing before vail sticks its fat ass on it. IE: not in "need" of vail buyout that somehow supports those pre-existing jobs.

That's the problem with this entire country system. I'm talking about functional and prosperous and everybody confuses that with investment returns for tools that have nothing to do with running the place.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Keystone hillclimb?
I'm in!
It's like 1994 all over again... :D

I think you can pedal up and ride bike parks on FS land, though they don’t advertise that.
U.S. resorts that lease FS land can limit access to trails they have built for their "bike parks." For example, Steamboat limits access to their DH trails to customers who bought a lift ticket for the bike park.

At the same time, Steamboat has a bunch of older Forest Service trails that are in their permit area that you're free to climb up to and ride to your heart's content without purchasing a pass.

Check old USGS 7.5 minute maps.

Some gems on there. ;)
Can confirm. The older the better. :brows:

Don't come whining to us, though, if you go to ride one of those decades-old dotted lines and find that it no longer exists. :D

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Dafuq you babbling about? :rofl:

No one said anything about some dickbag's stock value. We're talking about previously fully functional business that provide jobs existing before vail sticks its fat ass on it. IE: not in "need" of vail buyout.
Same team, haha!

My only point is this... let’s say your house is assessed at $500,000 by the county. If someone knocks on the door, offers you $500,000 cash if you move the next day, do you take it?

Only if you (1) actually want to sell it anyways & (2) you think that is the most you can get for it.

Based on WB sales price being “book value”, WB was ready to sell.

No disputing there was a Whistler before Vail. I been there too! And if it was WB only (vail never bought), they would be just as F’d now anyways...

What I am saying if Vail failed, it would take 1-2 years just to clear bankruptcy proceedings (not operating), and probably another 1 more yr to staff up and get going again. So I’d guess 2-3 lost seasons.

And no, the bars, stores, hotels, etc would not be “just fine waiting” till the lifts turn back on. Whistler tourism is about 1% of the entire BC province’s GDP.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What I am saying if Vail failed, it would take 1-2 years just to clear bankruptcy proceedings (not operating), and probably another 1 more yr to staff up and get going again. So I’d guess 2-3 lost seasons.
Let me know what I can do to help!

And no, the bars, stores, hotels, etc would not be “just fine waiting” till the lifts turn back on. Whistler tourism is about 1% of the entire BC province’s GDP.
Not what I said. What I said was they were doing fine before vail bought them, not that they would be invincible following a covid pandemic.

I'm talking long term here. Not the transition back to "not disneyworld in every mountain town in north america"

You're presenting a flawed argument with that last bit. Vail's presence is not saving those bars/hotels either in that regard. There is nothing vail is substantially adding to the equation that wasn't already there in a lot of places, and in many, many, many other other metrics which I've already listed (visitor experience, trafic shit shows, airplane emissions) vail is making things worse. So fuck'em. Stock prices and market value don't mean squat to anyone who doesn't parasitically benefit...which is most people.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Nah, I am just saying Vail will get plenty of government aid if they need/want/ask for it. Other than executive salary, they have essentially shed all operating expense already, so now they just need to pay down their debt.

Vail Resorts will be ever better positioned to keep buying up more resorts during and after all of this. They will be a winner and a beneficiary. Not a loser.

And I think that what i just wrote is terrible. Like literally that is what is wrong with the world. Their clear ambition is both horizontal (all the Resorts) and vertical (all the food, lodging, retail, etc at each resort) monopoly.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
In the best-case scenario offered by Destination B.C., short-haul tourism could start in June and July of this year, with U.S. travel starting in the fall and international travel by December.

The worst-case scenario suggested short-haul visitation wouldn't start until next spring, U.S. visitation next summer and international visitation not until the winter of 2021.
and given the ever devolving shit show south of the border, well, I don't think this will end up being far off, you certainly aren't endearing yourselves for actually dealing with this situation effectively.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

and given the ever devolving shit show south of the border, well, I don't think this will end up being far off, you certainly aren't endearing yourselves for actually dealing with this situation effectively.
HERE'S A PICTURE OF AN EAGLE AND A SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS WHICH SOMEHOW PROVES YOU WRONG AND MAKES ME WIN

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
BC is opening things up slowly as of May 18th: certain businesses will be opening and gatherings of a dozen people will be allowed. I don't think at this rate the restrictions will be relaxed enough for a Whistler opening mid-season.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
still a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people, still need to maintain social/physical distancing, probably no international travel until there's a vaccine, and still recommending people do not travel out of their own towns....be interesting to see how the population handles this 'easing'. I think the May long weekend will tell the story, I'm a cynic and assume people are stupid and will fuck it all up.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
still a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people, still need to maintain social/physical distancing, probably no international travel until there's a vaccine, and still recommending people do not travel out of their own towns....be interesting to see how the population handles this 'easing'. I think the May long weekend will tell the story, I'm a cynic and assume people are stupid and will fuck it all up.
This weekend will be interesting. Temps in the 20s. Gong!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
starting to hear from ski brands that VRR (the retail store component of Vail Resort) is starting to signal to brands that "up to 100% cancellations" of preseason orders may occur...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
starting to hear from ski brands that VRR (the retail store component of Vail Resort) is starting to signal to brands that "up to 100% cancellations" of preseason orders may occur...
Confirming that this week VRR has officially cancelled ALL fall 20 preseason orders from every vendor.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
And here is the first word on summer ops
Seems like a glimmer of hope for bike!

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
The only issues may be no border crossing and/or 2 week quarantine. Makes a 10 day trip sorta tricky. Might need to hire a coyote to smuggle me and my family to the promiseland.
My fees are reasonable and success is guaranteed*

The border is still closed until at least June 21 and I personally feel that the BC public would lose their shit collectively were it to re-open on that date as BC is doing exceedingly well at this stage. I for one hope you guys get on top of things soon so you can all come back and ride bikes.

*Not a guarantee