Quantcast

So you roadie want to be mountain bikers...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The best thing about Rodies who try to become mountainbikers is that 6 months later you can buy their like new $5000 bike for $1500.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Not as well as he thought though; he talked big game like he was going to kill everyone in marathon, and that has yet to happen
True. It goes both ways. Different sports. Not every MTB champion has rocked the roadie world when they crossed over. Mig Martinez went nowhere. Rollie Green did OK but nothing spectacular.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
True. It goes both ways. Different sports. Not every MTB champion has rocked the roadie world when they crossed over. Mig Martinez went nowhere. Rollie Green did OK but nothing spectacular.
Martinez suprised me, I figured if Evans could make the cut so could Martinez....you are very right

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Roland Green was a pro road racer before he was ever a pro mtb racer. He was a Stagiere on Motorola '95-96.

Bike racing is bike racing. People who create and perpetuate sterotypes get my goat...

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Roland Green was a pro road racer before he was ever a pro mtb racer. He was a Stagiere on Motorola '95-96.

Bike racing is bike racing. People who create and perpetuate sterotypes get my goat...
Exactly. A bike is a bike. If you're strong on an MTB, you'll be strong on a road bike. And vice versa. Though there are definitely different strengths and skills involved in each discipline, so you could dominate in one and just be pack fodder in the other. And DH is a whole different matter, though I bet crazy descenders like Paulo Salvodelli could pick up wicked DH skills pretty quick.

I know Rollie is an old roadie; he's a homeboy from Victoria and I've been following his career since he wore rubber pants. But he was never as successful as a roadie as he was on the MTB. He did ride away with our local road race every year though, crushing entire teams solo, so he wasn't too shabby on the skinny tires.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
By and large, people don't do intentionally stupid things on road bikes. You just ride. This is not the case on mountain bikes. At all. People will look at a nine-foot dropoff and say, "I think I can make it." I'm pretty sure this has to do with all the brainpan rattling.
Awesome!