Quantcast

Sober October

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I guess I won't be drinking Bigfoot Ale any more. Good thing I'm not particularly fond of the rest of their lineup.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Can confirm, is day 9.

I feel good. I'm not really "missing" anything, I feel like. I'm sleeping shockingly bad as of late though. Maybe it was never about the booze?
I too have had a couple of shitty night's sleep, but MUCH better than typical. Sleeplessness is stress/work. If not drinking is step one, perhaps not working is the key !

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Made lasagna with homemade noodle and had people over. There was wine. Made it through without a glass. I would say last night was the most I've been tempted.

I've eaten out once since starting, and even kind of skimping on making good food at home, because nobody loves steak and water! When this is over wine and lasagna sound :drool:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I love steak and water. I also don't love drinking in the first place.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
11.75 days. The streak is over.

I had a drink with dinner last night, and I'm totally cool with that.
This exercise has shown me that (a) although I was drinking a bunch (almost daily) hopping on the wagon for a while wasn't an issue, and (b) I enjoy it and shouldn't deny myself that. Regular/daily drinking is over for me, but a beer or drink once in a while is ok.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I might just quit during the week and deal with drinking on the weekend.

My sleeping really didn't change, I don't have a real problem with alcohol, once in a while I get silly, but pretty seldom anymore, still functional the next day, probably cause I have to be.

Seems everyone else didn't make the month so I don't feel like a complete loser.

I'm just a normal loser.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I might just quit during the week and deal with drinking on the weekend.

My sleeping really didn't change, I don't have a real problem with alcohol, once in a while I get silly, but pretty seldom anymore, still functional the next day, probably cause I have to be.

Seems everyone else didn't make the month so I don't feel like a complete loser.

I'm just a normal loser.
You aren't a loser. Not from this anyway! :D
I too plan to not drink during the week. Id just rather feel better moar often vs functioning ther next day.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If anything, my sleeping pattern got worse. :fie: But it is nice to not feel like shit when I wake up, which any more seems to be any thing more than one drink. Guess I'm just getting to be that age. :dead:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Same comments. Definitely feel notably better and sleeping moar soundly.
3 as well. I feel better but my sleep continues to be shit. I would go so far as to say that I'm sleeping worse since I began this experiment. Quite contrary to what I was expecting, and I don't sleep well at all, on any given night.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
3 as well. I feel better but my sleep continues to be shit. I would go so far as to say that I'm sleeping worse since I began this experiment. Quite contrary to what I was expecting, and I don't sleep well at all, on any given night.
Back when I was a degenerate pot head, I remember my sleep getting awful after quitting long term use. I think like @boostindoubles said it takes time to reset yo head after decades of chemicals.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
By the time I turned 21 I was pre-funking with a 5th of Jim Beam. After some gentle and not so gentle nods my way, I saw the writing on the wall and here I am! Still alive and free. I have no regrets thankfully. 90 days is a good baseline for the beginning of real recovery from substances. Luckily I have an open mind and have personal reasons for not drinking. Sometimes people act strange when I decline drinks, especially working in the beer/hop industry. (I turned down the Oskar Blues brewer's offer of a beer at an OB party) Nobody knows what I have gone through so I don't take it personally.

Don't get me wrong, the weed is usually around somewhere... Everything takes its toll, weed is just less dramatic/traumatic/dangerous.