Quantcast

SOCAL riding in Winter?

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
Hello to all you friendly SoCal riders...

Please excuse my total ignorance in regards to this question but i've been a ridemonkey member for a couple years now and i know you guys will steer me in the right direction. *enough sucking up*

My question is...... I'm from Australia and I'll be visiting a really good friend in Carlsbad for at least three weeks around Christmas time and over new years and into Januray. IS there any riding during winter? And if so, where would i be riding? Or should i just head to the snow? Of course i'd be willing to travel to some of the better destinations if it meant i'd get some riding in.

I'm grateflu for any help and i'm sure anybody else who has the same questions will be to.

Big thanks

Dan

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
90% of the SoCal area is riding all-year.
Unless you drive up to the mountains (BigBear, Angeles Forest, Los Padres), where the snow is...
Winter is the best time in SoCal, it's green, there's actual running water in the canyon streams, and most of the summer walk-about's are indoors 'cause it's under 50 degrees and "too cold"... ;)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I usually do a christmas day ride in shorts and a tee shirt if that means anything, and that is in the High Desert where winter temps can actually reach freezing at night.

R

Rabie

Riding is better in the Winter. Water means people can do trail work.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just let us know around christmas, and we'll help you get some good riding in while you're here. You can ride year-round in San Diego (some good stuff about 30 minutes from Carlsbad and a few more good rides about an hour away), Orange County (30-45 minutes away) and Los Angeles (hour and a half or more away), plus the desert (Palm Springs, etc an hour and a half away).

You looking for XC or DH type riding? Epics? Technical trails? Describe what you want and we'll get you to it.

MD

Edit: By the way, the snow kind of sucks here, so don't look for good skiing or snowboarding. If you want that, head 6-8 hours away to Mammoth or Lake Tahoe, or just fly to Colorado or Utah.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
ah brilliant! Thanks so much for the info. I had heard rumours that San Diego was very similar to PErth, Western Australia where i live (home of Sam Hill and Johnny Waddell). Our race season is run in winter because it is too hot to ride DH race runs in summer (though you can still do it). Wow, i'm really excited now. I'll be on the lookout for a cheap second hand dh frame and fork as well when i'm in town. Sounds like my kind of place.

R

Rabie

stinky|Dan said:
ah brilliant! Thanks so much for the info. I had heard rumours that San Diego was very similar to PErth, Western Australia where i live (home of Sam Hill and Johnny Waddell).
Sam Hill : Perth :: Orven : San Diego

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
I can't even remember the last time we got in significant rain here in SoCal...

There are loads of trails in the north SD area...go to www.mountainbikebill.com. I ride Flightline in the Vista/Carlsbad area just about everyday...it's pretty fun.

If racing's your thing, there's usually a winter series race up in Fontana just about every other weekend...that's just an hour or two away.

Have fun!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rabie said:
Sam Hill : Perth :: Orven : San Diego
That's it. I'm telling the OC Board of Ed that you're revealing answers to standardized tests online.

StinkyDan, last time I had a friend from your neck of the woods over, I sold him my BigHit...wish I had another one to sell ya when you show up. I've heard Perth is the coolest city in Oz. Hopefully I'll get to see it one day.

MD

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
MikeD said:
That's it. I'm telling the OC Board of Ed that you're revealing answers to standardized tests online.

StinkyDan, last time I had a friend from your neck of the woods over, I sold him my BigHit...wish I had another one to sell ya when you show up. I've heard Perth is the coolest city in Oz. Hopefully I'll get to see it one day.

MD
Hey thanks for all the help from everybody. I'm looking for something a little more exotic than a big hit this time around. Something like a yeti or turner or santacruz. I have time to save though and see what comes up.

Yeap, Perth is a great place to live but it can be a little boring. We only have hills, no mountains. Our trails are ok but i have no experience riding anywhere but Perth. I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons.