Quantcast

SoCal Riding - One Year Later

IntenseR3

Chimp
May 26, 2005
Balboa Island
Hello monkeys. Ok, I've lived in Newport Beach now for a little over one year and I have a report on the riding and some questions. For your reference, I came here after living my first 26 years in NorCal and riding in Marin and Pacifica. Also, this year will be my fourth year doing a Whistler/Shore trip. I attached some riding pics and my new M3 for your viewing pleasure.

Spots I have ridden:

#1 - Laguna
This is where I have gone the most. I have ridden XC all over. I like "T and A" , as well as "Art School" and "Old Emerald" when I am on the XC rig. One thing that I miss is trees! Also, the trails are quite short, but I find them technical and fun liek home.

For DH, I have ridden Telonics, PG, and the one that comes out at the Dog Park a number of times. Once again the trails are too short, but otherwise have fun high speed as well as steep sections. However, the lack of any hits or drops whatsover is a bummer. A major plus is how easy the shuttle is. Having a cool gf to perform this task is also a bonus!!

#2 - Fontana Races
Looks like most of you go to these, so you already know. But I really enjoy the race atmosphere and the fact that it isn't 3 hours away (like N*). A minus would be the short course that is not challenging in any way shape or form. But the rush of racing makes up for that.

#3 - Oakley Jumps/drops
I was very excited to get out here finally find a place for jumping and dropping, shore style. Unfortunately, when I went about 2 months ago, much of it was plowed over and overgrown. I was able to hit one of the bigger drops and some of the jumps. Looks like this place was spectacular ion its heyday.

#4 - San Juan Trail
One word, AWESOME. This is a great trail for a burly XC bike. I always ride up and then do the descent. A shuttle doesn't seem to make sense on this one and it is more fun on the trail bike anyways. Great trail and I would like to hear about more of these.

#5 - Whiting Ranch
I went here after the rains so I can't judge it fairly. It was severely rutted and had some wicked steep climbs with little payoff. I'll pass.

#6 - Ladder drops where the 73 meets the 5
I haven't ridden these, but I hiked up and checked them out. The area was overgrown but I would love to clear it out a little and hit these fun looking drops. PM me if interested.

Ok, so these are the spots I've ridden. Now, what am I missing? Specifically, I need some nice drops to get me ready for the shore trip. Also, how is Mt. Wilson and this Skyline area? What am I missing? Help a kinda new guy in town out. Thanks!

Attachments

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
IntenseR3 said:
A few more pics cause I always look at everyone else's.
Nice photo on Ned's! Is the other Family Guy?

Ted Williams has all of the above, but it got wrecked in last years rain. You should talk to someone from SD. One of them would know the conditions.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Mt. Wilson is fun, no jumps or major drops though due to a multi-use trail. Prolly about 13-15 miles of singletrack when shuttled from the top. 2-3 small climb/push sections. Good for getting in a grove, except when the hikers are right around the corner.
I've only ridden Skyline once, definitely a good steep DH trail. Again, no real drops or jumps, but challenging due to steepness and off camber sections.
Kenter is a great place for DJ, you've gotta check that out if you haven't already.

IntenseR3

Chimp
May 26, 2005
Balboa Island
GunShow? said:
Nice photo on Ned's! Is the other Family Guy?

Ted Williams has all of the above, but it got wrecked in last years rain. You should talk to someone from SD. One of them would know the conditions.
The steep was at whistler. The ladder drops were at sea otter. Yeah, the gap was on ned's. The other was from Laguna on T and A.

The diving board drop was in Kamploops. If anyone knows about that SD location, let me know. Thanks.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Rabie always put together a grand internet production of rides in Laguna. I would PM him in that regards. Anything with drops and shore core, pm Pegboy. He's my neighbor near Compton in Bellflower -hidden gem!

Is that white M3 Stu's short lived frame? He looked sexier on that than he was on a Turner.

What's your name? I used to ride in Marin/San Rafael/Mill Valley Area.

R

Rabie

Yeah, if you like San Juan, you'll definitely like Wilson. A little longer ride (as a shuttle, anyway) with more varied terrain --more "active" if not more technical. I'd say the same about Noble Canyon down east of SD.

As far as drops/jumps, your best bets (as far as I know) are going to be Ted Williams, or some spots north of LA which I'm not too familiar with myself, and probably shouldn't be discussed too much on a public forum. Speaking of which, it's generally not a good idea to be throwing out names/descriptions of Laguna trails, either, as established and known as they are locally.

Skyline is good for speed if nothing else. A longer shuttle than Laguna, all up fireroad, but the runs are much longer as well. Riders and truck usually get to the bottom at the same time (feels like 10 min?) with the usual break or two on the way down. Nothing too technical there, either, just ruts that get more challenging the faster you go. Place gets pretty well overgrown, though, as not many people do trailwork. The shuttle up also usually gets me too sick to ride more than a few runs, which is a drag.

You might also want to check out Santiago Oaks for trailrides. Pretty short and steep going up and coming down, so you won't be out for long, but it's enough to feel you've had a decent ride. Climbs are fireroad, downhill is rolling, and progressively steeper and rockier singletrack.

IntenseR3

Chimp
May 26, 2005
Balboa Island
Orvan said:
Rabie always put together a grand internet production of rides in Laguna. I would PM him in that regards. Anything with drops and shore core, pm Pegboy. He's my neighbor near Compton in Bellflower -hidden gem!

Is that white M3 Stu's short lived frame? He looked sexier on that than he was on a Turner.

What's your name? I used to ride in Marin/San Rafael/Mill Valley Area.
Not sure who stu is, but the M3 is all mine, factory fresh.

My name is Riley, I worked at Mike's Bikes and Sausalito Cyclery in Marin for about 8 years off and on before doing the law school thing. Lived in Mill Valley. I think I met you at Fontana once. Recognized you from your pics on this site.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
There are two trails at Laguna that drop into the Dog Park. They are both lots of fun and kinda of gnarly. there is also a trail called Stairsteps. If you can handle FAST rocky sections. Than this is the trail for you. well, it's fast if you can go fast. Check em out.