Quantcast

SoCal / San Diego Monkeys!

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Good morning, west coasters! I am looking for some advice from those of you living in/around the San Diego area for my best friend. She is strongly considering moving to the area around the end of August from the cold reaches of New Hampshire.

She will be renting an apartment with one other roommate, and is a registered nurse, working for ~1 year in the emergency department; she is 23. If any of you know of any nice (reasonably priced for the area as well) apartments or good hospitals for potential employment in San Diego, I would appreciate any advice.

Also, if you know of any pros/cons to living in the area, good restaurants, activities, good beaches, anything else that may be of value, please share your opinions!

Thanks for your help! :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
San Diego is a very nice town. Really fun place to live and the people are usually pretty great. My wife is from there and we go down to visit her family quite often. Ocean Beach is a really fun place. Ask Lovebunny about Hodads.

On the downside, it is expensive.

Can't comment on the job situation other then the fact that I know that there is a big Kaiser Permanente medical center there and KP seems to always need nurses. I don't know what the working environment is for nurses but for us IT folks KP is great. http://www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org/

Hope it helps!

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Ciaran said:
San Diego is a very nice town. Really fun place to live and the people are usually pretty great. My wife is from there and we go down to visit her family quite often. Ocean Beach is a really fun place. Ask Lovebunny about Hodads.

On the downside, it is expensive.

Can't comment on the job situation other then the fact that I know that there is a big Kaiser Permanente medical center there and KP seems to always need nurses. I don't know what the working environment is for nurses but for us IT folks KP is great. http://www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org/

Hope it helps!
hodads:drool:
if she wants a roommate she should check pacific beach. there is quite a party scene for her to get into there. alot of people end up in the north park area. theres some nice stuff there. and if need be el cajon is allways reasonably priced

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
lovebunny said:
and if need be el cajon is allways reasonably priced
I'd check out Lakeside before i went to el cajon :help:

if i could afford it, i'd move back to SD in a heartbeat, best place i've ever lived. my wife and i miss it soooo friggin much but even the $20k per year pay increase for my line of work doesn't match the 95% higher cost of living. i have some friends that still live there and just bought a house. it's very comprable to mine except that i have a yard. their price: $400k, my price $130k. hmmmmmm :think:

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
what do you consider resonably priced and how many bedroom do you need, in my area there are 3 bedroom apts. galore, as long as you dont mind payng the 2500 bucks a month, but there is cheaper, i live in La Costa about 2 blocks from the resort, i know you cant really buy a house in this area for under 700,000 bucks.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Ciaran said:
Dude, I lived in lakeside! It was awful. Well, except that we could shoot our guns in the yard. :D
i did too! right behind the 7-11 off of 67 :thumb: i had a sportbike back then (R6) and it was less than a mile to the start of one of the best canyon runs in socal. not to mention being close to the now extinct Anderson Truck Trail (RIP)

$2500 for a 3 bedroom?!!!!!!

holy crap, i have about 2,000 sqft, 3bd/2.1bath + bonus room and a yard for like $850 month here! wow, now i really know i couldn't afford to live out there again.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
So, are there any good places to get a 2 or 3 bedroom apt that may be "affordable"? Somewhere that isn't a dump, where she can walk to and from her car without getting shot, preferably. I am looking out for my girl! :love:

Any fun bars or clubs in SD? Good places to eat that y'all have tried?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
lovebunny said:
:stupid: :drool: :drool:

Antimony- It really depends what is considered "affordable". San Diego is pretty expensive for living costs. The safest place for single women is Hillcrest, but it's expensive. Reasonably affordable areas would probably be North Park, College Area, Clairemont, and maybe some places in Pacific Beach, which would give her plenty of people her age to hang out with. More affordable would probably be inland North County (Escondido, San Marcos), downside less people her age.

Just to give her an idea of housing costs:

Apartments

There are tons of places to eat, what kind of food does she like?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's too bad I can't find some of our old restaurant threads from the SoCal forum re: San Diego. My favorites are Ortega's in Ocean Beach for Mexican (god, I miss fish tacos and tamales), Bombay in Hillcrest for Indian, and Hodad's for burgers (plus any in-n-out burger I happen to pass.) Lovebunny owes his rediscovery of Hodad's to me, in fact. Never mind that I risked looking like a NAMBLA member sitting at the table with him. ("Have a burger, little boy...how old are you again?")

SD is an awesome city, but finding a 2-3 BR place in a nice area for a decent price...? It's pay through the nose or suck it up. My wife and I had a cool little beach shack, 1 BR and no modern amenities like w/d, dishwasher, garbage disposal, etc., 3 blocks from the water in Ocean Beach with a small garage for a measly $1075. Not the nicest part of OB, but safe enough...just a bit noisy sometimes. We felt we had a great bargain on our hands.

SD is a great town, and if I hadn't gotten a job which involved moving worldwide, I'd have stayed forever. However, in living there, you're either fairly rich, or sacrificing certain material/spatial niceties in favor of the lifestyle. I would recommend avoiding bland suburban areas and living someplace cool...either one of the beach communities, inland in Hillcrest or maybe Kensington/nicer part of Normal Heights, or someplace downtown-ish like Little Italy.

You don't move to SD for the tangibles, you move there for what it offers to do and see and enjoy.

And there are lots of big hospitals in the area, as well. Scripps, UC San Diego, even a VA hospital.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
manimal said:
i not to mention being close to the now extinct Anderson Truck Trail (RIP)
Alas. Yet, it was being ridden (legally, even), last I was in SD...just in a somewhat modified form.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DRB said:
That is the most awesome thing ever. Too bad you don't live next to MMike.
You think that's awesome? Try living in 29 Palms for 3 years...you'd explode with joy.

MD

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
My mom lives in Lakeside and I think that city sucks. My wife and I have a 2 bedroom 1ba, flat with my own backyard and garage for $800. I don't get why people think S.D is expensvie I moved here from San Francisco. There I had a converted garage studio with 2 windows in the whole place for $900....D

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
BMXman said:
My mom lives in Lakeside and I think that city sucks. My wife and I have a 2 bedroom 1ba, flat with my own backyard and garage for $800. I don't get why people think S.D is expensvie I moved here from San Francisco. There I had a converted garage studio with 2 windows in the whole place for $900....D

What area of the city are you in? Is it safe? I know she will be looking for somewhere safe with an apt she can afford, and preferably close to a hospital (she's a nurse).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BMXman said:
Because it IS expesive. You either have a GREAT deal and got lucky or are living in a less desirable neighborhood. Sure, I could go live in Lakeside or Santee or some other less desirable place in the county cheaply but then I have to deal with my in-laws bitching about the quality of where we live, commuting, not living where I really want to be, and all that. Compared to the rest of the country, California, especially the bay area, and So Cal (including SD) are outragously expensive.

I lived off 67. not far from the Circle K. We were in amongst the junkyards. If you live or have lived in Lakeside you would know where it's at. I used to weld horse corrals for Cool's Corrals.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Ciaran said:
Because it IS expesive. You either have a GREAT deal and got lucky or are living in a less desirable neighborhood. Sure, I could go live in Lakeside or Santee or some other less desirable place in the county cheaply but then I have to deal with my in-laws bitching about the quality of where we live, commuting, not living where I really want to be, and all that. Compared to the rest of the country California, especially the bay area, and So Cal (including SD) are outragously expensive.

I lived off 67. not far from the Circle K. We were in amongst the junkyards. If you live or have lived in Lakeside you would know where it's at. I used to weld horse corrals for Cool's Corrals.
cmon mike. give him more credit than that. its a pretty sweet lil place in la mesa

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lovebunny said:
cmon mike. give him more credit than that. its a pretty sweet lil place in la mesa
I've never been to his place. Like I said, if he's paying 800, he either is in a less than desirable area (do not read "ghetto", read "Not one of those areas where it seems like everyone wants to live), OR got lucky, OR has been living there for a while and his rent hasn't gone up much. Sounds like it's the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally not bashing his place or where he lives, just rebutting his statement that SD is not expensive. I would much rather live in La Mesa than Lakeside. Ultimately I live where I can afford to. The wife and I would love to move back to SD. And it's not the cost that keeps us away. It's the parents. If we moved back down there we would never get any rest from them! :D

Personally I am lucky in my apartment situation. We have been here for 6+ years and the rent has not gone up much. New people coming in are paying 200 - 300 a month more. As for the house that I am moving into, I got really lucky.

Sorry, I should have explained myself better.