Quantcast

Socially Distanced Hobbies

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Anyone using their social downtime to learn something new?

I've had an Alvarez acoustic since the late 80's but never got past the "my fingers hurt" stage of learning to play it. A couple of days between practice sessions turned in to weeks and before I knew it, I was only picking the thing up every couple of months to find that my fingers still hurt.

Covid has me finally learning. I quickly realized that the Alvarez dreadnought body was never going to be comfortable for me and I picked up a 000 body Martin. I've been playing everyday since July and am finally starting to sound ok. Kicking myself in the nuts thinking how good I'd be now if I could have just sucked it up in '89.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my kids have expressed interest in doing some woodworking projects, so i'm cleaning up my workshop so we can do some. easy stuff like bird houses & feeders to start with.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lots of woodworking going on in our house. Ski season is starting, so we'll see how long that lasts. I've found just being anti-social is the way to go.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
continuing to forget everything i learn about photography....what my brain considers useful/useless shit to retain is fucking annoying...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hunting. Started last year, but putting more time in the field this year. There's such a steep learning curve. Now to figure out how to honor the animals and do a good job cooking the harvest.

More engineering/fabrication. Learning Autocad Fusion 360 by myself and getting stuff cut/bent. I'm an engineer by trade, but seldom get to participate in that aspect of the life cycle.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Lately I have been getting a lot of satisfaction from cooking. It started with baking bread when the pandemic hit but recently I have been making some pretty epic meals.

last night was the culmination of a decent amount work as I made some spectacular braised short rib and queso tacos, I have been prepping and making the building blocks for this recipe for the past few weekends. For the most part everything used in the dish was made from scratch at home: bone broth, queso, picked peppers (for queso), flour tortillas, and some cheesy citrus refried beans. It was awesome!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My golf is so socially distant, I put a $20 in the envelope and put it in the mail slot. The keys are in the carts, so load up and go. I rarely see anyone else there. There was a group ahead of me that finished when I hit the 6th.

I went to the driving range and was the only one there yesterday. I bought a bunch of tokens last time so I don't even go to the clubhouse.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
More engineering/fabrication. Learning Autocad Fusion 360 by myself and getting stuff cut/bent. I'm an engineer by trade, but seldom get to participate in that aspect of the life cycle.
I keep thinking about learning some 3D tools. A buddy has a 3D printer he outgrew that I could get for about $100. But I have zero experience with modeling tools to be able to take advantage of it.

Really the main goal is to 3D print a 1:10 scale step van body. Then use his vacuum former to make a legit lexan RC car body to build my mini Frita.