Quantcast

Sockets for dentists

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
I too have the Lunar wrench set and they are very precise, slim and lightweight so they pack nicely and don't mark the caps. They get packed in my Park blue box that I throw in the van when I go riding. I also have some ground down sockets I keep on the bongshed bench and I use a combo of both when I'm working there. The Lunar set doesn't include a wrench for Dorado top caps but I have a nice crescent wrench that opens just wide enough to work. I like Abbey tools quite a bit because he goes above what everyone else is doing and the results are stunning. If I was wrenching on suspension everyday or ran a shop that did, I would use his sockets. If I was a dentist I would already own them and they would be kept in a custom made local artisan handcrafted renewable resource toxic-free 3D printed titanium hinged stained wood box with a vegan fur lining and they would be flown down from the climate controlled confines of my workshop loft in Malibu to my private beachside organic cocktail bar/bench by drone flown by an app that sounds like Scarlett Johansson and tells dirty jokes to my team of mechanics that are coincidentally all of the Marzocchi Bomber girls.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Would it really hurt fork manufacturers to put another couple of mm height on the flats for the top caps? I know, I know extra weight and all that - but they can be ridiculously tight on some forks and you're not given much tolerance for an imperfectly placed socket that you're also try to get a good turn on.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Was that from the days when every other thread on the internet was about how to tune your Marzocchi Z1?
No, it was from when we thought we died and went to heaven when they put that same crude shit in the new 66 chassis and we were riding around with 7lb single crown forks like it was the best thing since tioga's tension disc.

Several years after the Z1. Think about how good some of that stuff could have been if it had ACTUAL damping in it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No, it was from when we thought we died and went to heaven when they put that same crude shit in the new 66 chassis and we were riding around with 7lb single crown forks like it was the best thing since tioga's tension disc.

Several years after the Z1. Think about how good some of that stuff could have been if it had ACTUAL damping in it?
I only ever had one Marzocchi fork. Damn thing topped out like a jack hammer. POS. My old White Brothers fork with the Englund Air Damper worked better.

Air damping worked better. Let that settle in.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Im sticking by it. Only flap disks on grinders. Have you guys ever used one? Makes anything your grinding buttery smooth. Flap wheels on bench grinders are a magical thing too. No more burning your fingers! and they work great on aluminum! Give em a try, you wont go back! Oh and buy a benchtop disk sander, band saw, plasma cutter, torch, skillsaw with metal blade, and a air cut off wheel/die grinder and stop being a hack with a grinder.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Would it really hurt fork manufacturers to put another couple of mm height on the flats for the top caps? I know, I know extra weight and all that - but they can be ridiculously tight on some forks and you're not given much tolerance for an imperfectly placed socket that you're also try to get a good turn on.
They need to be low profile for downtube clearance, especially when you have damper dials on top.

I have an sweet adjustable wrench that works just fine, even for Fox. Top caps don't need to be very tight. Haven't rounded off an edge yet. But hey, even if I do, I'll have 5 more to go! I'd probably get some nicer job-specific sockets if I was still working as a wrench but those days are long gone.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They need to be low profile for downtube clearance, especially when you have damper dials on top.

I have an sweet adjustable wrench that works just fine, even for Fox. Top caps don't need to be very tight. Haven't rounded off an edge yet. But hey, even if I do, I'll have 5 more to go! I'd probably get some nicer job-specific sockets if I was still working as a wrench but those days are long gone.
that's all good until you get the one fork cap that was loctited down by the hulk himself. Particularly a problem if you buy used parts. thankfully the fox dial cap covered up the knackered corners of that damper cap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Besides, the pointy parts of those fork caps can really leave a mark when they hit your knees.
Yes! I have bashed my knees off them a few times. Though when that happens I've obviously screwed up somewhere and am being ejected out the front of the bike, usually hitting the family jewels on the stem on the way out. So the knees are usually second fiddle in terms of pain.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes! I have bashed my knees off them a few times. Though when that happens I've obviously screwed up somewhere and am being ejected out the front of the bike, usually hitting the family jewels on the stem on the way out. So the knees are usually second fiddle in terms of pain.
You can angle grind all of that nice and smooth.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
But you gotta use a flap disk on those aluminum caps!!!! Grinding disks load up with aluminum, overheat then explode. Unless you buy the special aluminum ones.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But you gotta use a flap disk on those aluminum caps!!!! Grinding disks load up with aluminum, overheat then explode. Unless you buy the special aluminum ones.
You really have to have a complete arsenal of angle grinder wheels. My favorites is the flap wheel and wire wheel. Thin cutting disks are kind of scary, I wear my self dimming welding mask when I use one.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My google fu is weak - I could not find any luxury angle grinders for dentists. I guess I'll have to go with the usual dewalt choice then. OTOH, I found some blingy wheels coated with brilliants diamonds, great success!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You want torque? Get one of these - Alfa Laval tightening device. I got to see one being used during some PHE rebuilds not long ago. 3,300 Nm (or 2430lbft). Perfect for cinching up top caps. Just need an adaptor to use it for the screws on ODI lock-ons and it will be perfect.

AL Tightening device.jpg

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Around the year 2000 i had a cutting disk blow up on me. Didnt hit me and i couldnt find one piece of it! Havent used one since. I do have 3 or four grinders, one with a flap disk and one with a wire wheel, the other has a bad vibration and i dont use it much but has a sanding disk, my cordless has a flap disk, and my 9 inch has a tire grinder on it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Around the year 2000 i had a cutting disk blow up on me. Didnt hit me and i couldnt find one piece of it! Havent used one since. I do have 3 or four grinders, one with a flap disk and one with a wire wheel, the other has a bad vibration and i dont use it much but has a sanding disk, my cordless has a flap disk, and my 9 inch has a tire grinder on it.
My dad had one explode when he was working at a body shop. He didn't realize that it also flung some steel dust or something into his eye, which started to rust on the eye ball sometime later.

And that's why I took wood shop in high school and not metal shop.

I am not a safety freak, but I find it both hilarious and scary when I see people using them with no protection. Same thing when I see people mowing their lawn barefoot, you just know that they're going to step in dog shit and ruin their day!