Quantcast

sockets

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I'm looking for a new socket set. Can anyone recommend a quality set? I was looking over my bike the other day and I noticed that some bolts require a relatively thin walled socket to get at, specifically the bolts on the marzocchi lowers. Is there a bike specific set I should get or just some husky/craftsmen/what ever else is out there?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I always buy Craftsman sockets.

Best warranty around. I haven't had a fork yet that I couldn't get apart with them, including two Marzocchis. They were older Marzocchis, though (both Z.2s).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
craftsmen. I have walked into sears with broken tools. Handed them oevr, less than 5 minutes later i was walking out with a brand new replacement, no questions asked.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Does snap-on sell in stores, or do they only sell out of their trucks? Also, can anyone confirm that craftsmen sockets are thin enough to get at the bolts on marzocchi lowers? I suppose I could just measure and go to a store, but that's too much work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Snap on is only worth it if you're making a living with your tools. Since you don't even have any sockets, don't spend the bucks on Snap on, just get something cheaper.

Can't help you with the measurements, sorry.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If you want a socket set BEST ADVICE is to get one of those 144 piece Craftsman tool cases onsale if you can.......I did this 6 years ago (first tool purchase ever) and it was the best $100 I have ever spent. 3 different rachets........with every different size metric and standard socket for them + deep ones as well. I use them more on auto stuff but they have served their purpose on the bike as well.

MAC/Matco/Snap on are all pro grade stuff. Unless you got thousands of $$$ buring a hole in your pocket I'd stick with Craftsman. Their tools are lifetime and you can't beat that. If a socket rounds something off take it into sears and get a new one, or a rachet breaks get a new one. The other tool company's do it........good luck finding the snap on truck when you need it though.

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
You are also going to have the option of six point or twelve point sockets. This may be coming more from a motorcycle/automotive mechanic point of view, but I would recommend the six point sockets because they give a better grip on the bolt heads and are less likely to slip and round off the head of a tight or corroded bolt. I believe 12 point sockets are a throwback from days past when rachets didn't have the fine increments of rotation that they do today.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree w/ the 6 vs. 12 point. Ratches have enough engagement points that there's no good reason to use the 12 point sockets and you get a more solid engagement w/ the 6 points.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Quo Fan said:
Snap On only sells from the trucks, and a socket set will set you back a whole lot of cash. Get the Craftsman set, they should do the job, and they carry a lifetime warranty, no questions asked.
Funny, I go here and I can look up the tools I want, click "add to cart" and then "checkout". No truck involved unless you mean the one that brings it to my house.

Also, you can find Snap-On in pawn shops and on ebay for much better prices.
It isn't as convenient as Sears but the chances you'll have to return/exchange a tool in the middle of a project are much lower.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
SpaZwEll said:
The 12mm socket will not be thin enough. Plug your socket into an extension and grind the walls down on a bench grinder.

Thanks spaz.

Mike Stone said:
You are also going to have the option of six point or twelve point sockets. This may be coming more from a motorcycle/automotive mechanic point of view, but I would recommend the six point sockets because they give a better grip on the bolt heads and are less likely to slip and round off the head of a tight or corroded bolt. I believe 12 point sockets are a throwback from days past when rachets didn't have the fine increments of rotation that they do today.
Yea, I'll definately be getting the 6 pointers. I've used 12's in the past and I don't like them.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
to answer the question that you asked and has not been answered...no. a good socket will NOT fit the foot nut on any current marz fork (Z1 etc). As mentioned before you can grind down the socket, but seeing as youdo not own a socket set, i am guessing that you do not own a bench grinder.

I found a VERY cheap socket set ($ 1.99) that had very thin walled 6 point socket that fit. Or you can buy the Marz socket for $30.

Craftsman are more than enough fot what you need. They are affordable and will last

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I have a socket set, it's just not mine. So I won't be grinding it down anytime soon. $1.99 sounds better than $30. Who makes it? K-mart?

I really need to get to the hardware store. But I think first I need to finish the basement so I can set-up my workspace again.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Snap on is only worth it if you're making a living with your tools. Since you don't even have any sockets, don't spend the bucks on Snap on, just get something cheaper.

Can't help you with the measurements, sorry.
Not to mention you will never ever need the increased strength a Snap On tool gives you when working on bike stuff.

Westy said:
Not to mention you will never ever need the increased strength a Snap On tool gives you when working on bike stuff.
Huh? For the same sized fastener, there's no material strength difference between bike and car parts.

Get a Craftsman set, then when you need a special, like a thin-walled six-point socket, hop on the Snap-On truck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
johnbryanpeters said:
Huh? For the same sized fastener, there's no material strength difference between bike and car parts.

Get a Craftsman set, then when you need a special, like a thin-walled six-point socket, hop on the Snap-On truck.
The fastenter might be of the same strength but the material it bolts into and the require torque specs will be different. Not too much thin walled aluminium and magnesium on your average car. The common torqe spec on a bike fork can be acheived with little more than the twist of the wrist on a nut driver.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
fuzzynutz said:
I have a socket set, it's just not mine. So I won't be grinding it down anytime soon. $1.99 sounds better than $30. Who makes it? K-mart?

I really need to get to the hardware store. But I think first I need to finish the basement so I can set-up my workspace again.
I found the set at a place called 'big wheel auto parts'. I would suggest any non-chain ghetto-a$$ auto parts store, or if you have a one dollar store etc where you live.

Bring your socket with you and open the 'cheapo' sets until you find some sockets that are so poorly made that they are 'that' thin, and you are set!!

Feb 13, 2006
Does anyone have empirical evidence that Snap-On tools are better?

The only "evidence" I know of is that people who are auto mechanics as their primary source of income tend to favor Snap-On, but IMO that's because Snap-On sells primarily to people who wrench for a living. If Craftsman tools were sold by an independent jobber who went from garage to garage, I don't see why they wouldn't be treated as seriously.

S&K tools are good. Craftsman tools are good. Snap-On tools are good but well overpriced. As a value matter, I find Snap-On stuff to be a waste of my money. I've never used a Snap-On tool that worked better than a Craftsman tool. I've known a lot of gearhead auto wrenches in my time and most conceded that if it was their own money they were spending and the Craftsman tool guy came to THEM rather than the other way around, they'd use Craftsman.

Snap-On makes it easy on the pro wrencher. Have a problem? Call your jobber.

Craftsman requires a trip to Sears. That's not possible for most pro wrenchers to do during the workday. Also, most garages have the ability to underwrite part or all of their employed wrenches' tools. This softens the blow of the Snap-On price.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I fix copiers for a living, and in the first 7 years of my career, I went through a Craftsman philips head screwdriver about every 6 months. Wore the tip off so it wouldn't grab the screws. In the last 8 years, I have gone through 2 Snap-on screwdrivers of the same type, using them the same amount everyday. In fact, I use the Snap-on one more, because the mfg is using more screws to hold the copiers together.

For home use, Craftsman is the way to go. Pro use, get Snap-on, Mac Tools or Cornwell.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm reviving this thread because i am the LA/Hollywood area and searching for a 32mm socket to work on my fox 36. anyone have suggestions on where to look to buy? i checked home depot and autozone websites, but they don't list 32mm as one of the sizes.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i did not look there. should have thought of it. i ended up at autozone. they had one for more money. it was not listed on their website, but they had it in stock. it was 6pt. i also needed to buy the 1/2" adapter. it was a grip of cash for a tool i won't use much. probably cheaper than the LBS shop labor.