Quantcast

socks when riding?

vthokierider

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
I was just curious if there is anyone that doesn't wear socks when riding, or if it is just me. I never did when I ran so when I started riding I decided not to. As far as I can tell there are a few advantages of going without when riding XC. My feet don't stay wet after I ride through deep streams, it is cooler, I can crank my shoes down tighter than if I had socks on. As long as you clean your shoes on a regular basis they don't stink. I know a couple of rodies that don't wear them either. What do you guys think about going sockless for XC?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Sideways
What exactly are the point of socks?
Hell no I don't wear them when clipped in!
Might chage my mind soon, as its getting pretty darn cold quick.
In warm weather thin micro fibre socks can wick away moisture that would otherwise be absorbed by the shoe and cause a bit of stankiness.

In cold/wet weather wool socks will keep your toes toasty and help prevent blisters.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by Serial Midget
In warm weather thin micro fibre socks can wick away moisture that would otherwise be absorbed by the shoe and cause a bit of stankiness.

In cold/wet weather wool socks will keep your toes toasty and help prevent blisters.
Man, stank just isn't a concern with my cycling shoes.
Either it just doesn't matter, or they get cleansed with all the stream crossings around here.

Wool kicks ass, though.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by Sideways
Wool kicks ass, though.
Dude, I am addicted to my SmartWool socks. I wear them everywhere. I'm wearing a pair right now, as I sit here at work in a pair of khakis and a polo shirt.

Wool socks work great in the summer and the winter. With the wet winter weather around here, I wear SealSkinz oversocks to keep dry, and the woolies keep my feet from getting too damp from sweat.

Another reason to wear socks: ever hiked out five miles in your Sidis after a mechanical? Dude, your feet would be hamburger w/o socks.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by gorgechris

Another reason to wear socks: ever hiked out five miles in your Sidis after a mechanical? Dude, your feet would be hamburger w/o socks.
I ran a singlespeed out here during a 55 mile race...lotsa pushing involved that day.
No real problems, just a little chaffing on the heel.
I might wear socks next endurance race, though.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Smart Wool socks are the only way to go!!! I run & bike in them during the fall, winter and & spring and use CRAFT thin wool socks for the summer months. I do find the smart wool ankle socks to be just a little warm in the summer. In the winter I wear their hiking socks with my hippie sandals. :)

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by Serial Midget
In the winter I wear their hiking socks with my hippie sandals. :)
Dude, I was totally starting to respect you: insane trail runs, love of SmartWool (and Craft) socks, etc. Then you go ahead and blurt out that you sport the "Socks and 'Stocks" look. Good Gawd, there is no uglier fashion mistake in the world, as far as I am concerned.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by gorgechris
Dude, I was totally starting to respect you: insane trail runs, love of SmartWool (and Craft) socks, etc. Then you go ahead and blurt out that you sport the "Socks and 'Stocks" look. Good Gawd, there is no uglier fashion mistake in the world, as far as I am concerned.
Spandex is the only fashion statement I care to make. :D