Quantcast

Socom freshened up

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
After being in storage since last October, I pulled the bike out, took it completely apart and rebuilt it. Also replaced a couple of bits, like new saddle, some custom decals, among some other little things to make it better. What do you guys think?

So it went from this:

To this...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
New tires, bars, stem, fork, brakes, grips, saddle, pedals, and cranks count for more than "a few bits".

Looks freakin' awesome.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Looks good! Now go get the Slacker dropouts and turn it into a real DH destroyer!:thumb:
Man I have almost the same setup only different wheels (Hope Pro2's laced to Dt 5.1's) and different cranks (stupid heavy Diablous with a Shimano bb) and she's a ripper, could stand to be a bit slacker though, the head angle is a little steep for sure, especially when you get on hairy steep stuff.

Last edited:

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Looks good! Now go get the Slacker dropouts and turn it into a real DH destroyer!:thumb:
Man I have almost the same setup only different wheels (Hope Pro2's laced to Dt 5.1's) and different cranks (stupid heavy Diablous with a Shimano bb) and she's a ripper, could stand to be a bit slacker though, the head angle is a little steep for sure, especially when you get on hairy steep stuff.
You are right, the slackers would be great for the bike, but i am Waiting for the Offset headset cups that "Ready to ride cycles" is releasing They are 2 degree offset, as opposed than 1 degree that the droupouts change.
Do you have the slackers? what do you think about them, do feel the change?

Uncle, you were really close, since I have some TI hardware, the bike weights at 37 even

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
How do you sleep at night knowing that this ($5000+!) bike is sitting in a dark room for the entire winter? :biggrin:
Unless you live somewhere the snow falls in feet and doesn't melt until summer, you have no excuse to NOT be riding that thing!! :drool:

Did the (barely) 1 yr old 888WC fall apart while sitting in storage? Why the switch to an entirely new fork?

Guess if ya got the money, WhyTF not huh?

Last edited:

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
What did you use to cover the chainstay in the second pic? Looks kinda like bartape for some reason. Didn't see anything wrong with the bike before the "refreshening", execept for it being all pitted....so pitted. Haha. Looks good, man.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
You are right, the slackers would be great for the bike, but i am Waiting for the Offset headset cups that "Ready to ride cycles" is releasing They are 2 degree offset, as opposed than 1 degree that the droupouts change.
Do you have the slackers? what do you think about them, do feel the change?
I'd go slackers and then add the offset headset cups if you still want it to be slacker.

The dropouts lower your bb and lengthen the wheelbase as well as slackening the head tube..

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
How do you sleep at night knowing that this ($5000+!) bike is sitting in a dark room for the entire winter? :biggrin:
Unless you live somewhere the snow falls in feet and doesn't melt until summer, you have no excuse to NOT be riding that thing!! :drool:

Did the (barely) 1 yr old 888WC fall apart while sitting in storage? Why the switch to an entirely new fork?

Guess if ya got the money, WhyTF not huh?
I had always been a Marzocchi guy, but my experience with the 08 888 ATA was not good, I was never not able to get it set up properly, had some of the issues that the 08 models had, so I sold it and got the 40. btw after trying the 40, I'm never going back to Marzocchi.

I know man, I'm itching to ride, but unfortunately because of my work & school schedule I can't as much as i'd like to.

For all of you that were asking about the chainstay wrap, I used bar tape, the kind that is used on road bikes, it works great.