Quantcast

software info needed

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
what is a good, decent priced software that allows you to build a website. something simple because this is my first time creating a site.

i know its not in the right area, but more people look at this, so thanks you

zac

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Word pad for basic HTML stuff.

Dreamweaver for better looking stuff. When coupled with Flash and the rest of the Macromedia suite you can build some cool stuff.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That looks really good. I'm going to start using that soon.
Very easy to work with. A little screwy on some stuff, but it's improving all the time.

The site manager function is teh roxorz.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Please don't use frontpage. I know it's easy and all but more a more people are using Firfox and lots of Frontpage sites don't work for poo in firefox.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
html question:

If I put keywords in a section of the html, will that be found with a search engine and the page will be a search result?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
how do you learn how to use this once DL, like build buttons add links ect.

thanks
Seriously, man, go figure it out yourself. We can't hold your hand through an entire learning process of creating webpages.

There are at least sixteen billion sites that assist in webpage creation. Start with Google.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'd like to suggest a good book reference too. I have taught myself a lot with "HTML for the World Wide Web" by Liz Castro, Peachtree Press.
A good reference book that is easy to use in invaluable for certain things.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
how do you learn how to use this once DL, like build buttons add links ect.

thanks

Most applications have this crazy thing called a "help" file. You can access it from inside the application once you start it.

Craziness I tell ya.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
what is a good, decent priced software that allows you to build a website. something simple because this is my first time creating a site.

i know its not in the right area, but more people look at this, so thanks you

zac
Depends on your end goal.

Simple personal page that you'll make an maybe update once in a while with no aspirations to make more? FrontPage. It's stupid simple to use, newer versions are better than the older versions and people should be using Opera instead of Firefox anyway. One of the nice things about Front Page (and other WYSIWYG editors) is that you can look at the code that was created by the program and get an idea of what everything means.

Looking to make a fancy page, maybe do pages for other people? Learn HTML. It's not a quick process, but if you are planning on doing webpages on a regular basis (pro or not) then you should understand how they work and how they are put together.

Ultimately hand coding will give you the best results, and please the geeks. However it is a pain to learn and takes considerably longer than using Front Page, or another similar program. While it is possible to make a site such as ridemonkey in Front Page, it won't come out very well. Simple pages come out fine, however.

Here's a page I did in Front Page... http://www.sablecatleather.com VERY simple, and it works. (I could care less about how it looks in Firefox)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not entirely true, I can hand code in css faster than i can build something that does what I want in dreamweaver. front page isn't even an option, as it's code is garbage and only renders properly in IE6. Ie 7 will break all of this of course as MS saw fit to change how it renders entirely...but still not do it to standards.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Not entirely true, I can hand code in css faster than i can build something that does what I want in dreamweaver. front page isn't even an option, as it's code is garbage and only renders properly in IE6. Ie 7 will break all of this of course as MS saw fit to change how it renders entirely...but still not do it to standards.
Are you a beginner?
NO. You do this for a living. That's why you are faster at it. You have experience, knowledge and practice.

For a beginner, Front Page will be faster because you can jump right in and don't have to learn about HTML. Wanna change a font? Just use the drop down. Insert a link? Click on the link icon and type in the destination URL. Like I said... STUPID SIMPLE.

The pages I do look good in ALL versions of IE, and OPERA. The coe is "garbage" to a pro like you, not to the average person.

And I also said, that if he is looking to do more than a simple personal page then he should learn HTML.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Are you a beginner?
NO. You do this for a living. That's why you are faster at it. You have experience, knowledge and practice.

For a beginner, Front Page will be faster because you can jump right in and don't have to learn about HTML. Wanna change a font? Just use the drop down. Insert a link? Click on the link icon and type in the destination URL. Like I said... STUPID SIMPLE.

The pages I do look good in ALL versions of IE, and OPERA. The coe is "garbage" to a pro like you, not to the average person.

And I also said, that if he is looking to do more than a simple personal page then he should learn HTML.

This is why I posted the link to Nvu.

• Open source.
  • Free.
  • Simple.
  • Easier to use than Frontpage (I've used both).
  • Free.
  • Relatively clean code.
  • Free.

Oh, and I forgot: IT'S FREE.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Naw, it's faster to hand code it because front page doesn't do things you want it to do. Especially when you have it render in different browsers. I can guarantee you that opera is not rendering the same as IE is, simply due to the box model differences between these 2 browers. It will blow up under certain conditions in opera, guaranteed.

If you want simple AND effective, use dreamweaver. Then you can read along with the code via split screen as well and learn as you go.

For what it's worth, I still use dreamweaver to build forms and tables, just because it's infinetly easier than coding them on my own.

Also, the code is garbage because it isn't standards based, amd breaks under most conditions. Not because i can write cleaner code. It's all about standards, and front page ignores them entirely.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
(I could care less about how it looks in Firefox)
You really should. In fact you should care how it looks in all browsers, and on all platforms. (especially of your selling something)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So what happens if a page is designed for Opera and it ends up looking like crap in Opera?

:D :poster_oops: