Quantcast

#$%Soggy WednesderpGMT%$#

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Local Mts got 4-5 inches of rain last night. In town we got over and inch. Mt Bike is going to be sitting for a while. looks like, Gym Running and Road Biking for a while with more of the wet stuff on the way. The clay soils rule out dirt riding until they dry out

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
snow has started at the house, but I have to go into the city today. Hmfph. :mad:
traffic should be an absolute JOY by this afternoon so it'll have to be an abridged office day.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I'm resigned to taking the Land Cruiser in the rest of the week. The snow itself wouldn't be terrible to ride in but there are multiple patches of 1-2" solid ice that'd then be obscured and just waiting to take me out.

On docket for today: TPMS checkup at Discount Tire, pick up 30 x 20" photos of my babies at Costco, then work this afternoon.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Been spitting rain since yesterday. Temps are supposed to drop big time tonight, just in time for a hike. :D

In other news, gas has jumped to $1.16 per liter here. wtf.

Traffic has been good so far this week, with all the helicopter parents not cramming the roads.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Snow's coming so I drove the Subie. Woke up at 4:45 to swim and made it about 5min around the house before I decided swim was a no-go this morning. Still tired.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello, my wonderful friends. <3 I worked on the company holiday Monday and followed that up with a 15 hour shift yesterday. We added three companies to the payroll for this week and apparently those folks want to be paid. Hooray employment!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

No snow here yet, but it sure is cold enough. Wife had to return to school today but woman-child did not, so it's just me and the kid today. Video games and ice skating on the agenda. I think I'll make chili for dinner, liable to be a good couple days for it the next few.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Mass rain, very windy, and reports of large dumpings of snow around Tahoe on the way. And........ Kingsbury was closed yesterday due to the sink hole that has been growing for the last few weeks. Guess I'll have to decide on using Spooner or Luther to get to work tomorrow.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Supposed to rain again this week. Rained more in the last couple weeks than probably the last 10 years combined. Although, it's been on the weekends, so been kinda ruining my riding time. There's not much to ride around here in the actual rain and most of the trails suck until a few days after.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wear Carhartt/Dickies pants and a t-shirt every day now.

Try to stop me.
I miss wearing marginally offensive tshirts at work. I used to be the usual software engineer in tshirt, shorts, and Vans. When I was at the bank (not a branch, the corp engineering office), I had to buy slacks, so I got 6 pairs of Dickies in a few different colors. I can wear jeans here, but only allowed tshirts on Fridays it seems. But I'll be dammed if I'm going to tuck my shirt in.

There is an older guy on my floor who wears a tie every day but Friday. I held a lot of respect for my pops who wore a suit every day to teach drama and english at Cal State Stanislaus, but he felt it was important to show respect for the job. But I don't ever see myself wearing a suit to the office.

I wore a tie for an interview once and it was the worst interview evar!

/casualworkwearrant

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Snow, snow, snow, so much snow!! It hasn't snowed this much in Bend since I think the first year I moved here. I'm pretty sure this will send some recent Cali transplants packing!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Snow, snow, snow, so much snow!! It hasn't snowed this much in Bend since I think the first year I moved here. I'm pretty sure this will send some recent Cali transplants packing!!!
a buddy of mine who lives in colorado (not an RM person, upstate NY transplant) says it's really easy to pick out the texas transplants when it snows.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Rained during the commute in this morning, currently the sun is shining outside, and it's supposed to snow this evening. So yeah, just typical weather here in Rochester.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
/casualworkwearrant
Being the mechanical/equipment guy, my time is usually split pretty close to 50/50 either wrenching on equipment/fabricating parts, or sitting in front of a monitor looking at Oracle and Excel. I used to wear button up shirts and khaki type pants, but when doing the hands on work, they'd often get greasy and torn up. So I started wearing work pants and t-shirts all the time, and no one has said anything yet, so fuck it, amirite?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Being the mechanical/equipment guy, my time is usually split pretty close to 50/50 either wrenching on equipment/fabricating parts, or sitting in front of a monitor looking at Oracle and Excel. I used to wear button up shirts and khaki type pants, but when doing the hands on work, they'd often get greasy and torn up. So I started wearing work pants and t-shirts all the time, and no one has said anything yet, so fuck it, amirite?
if they ever say anything, ask to be compensated for the business casual attire that was damaged during work

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's what killed me about working at the bank. Not only was it not a bank branch office, it didn't even have a sign on the building that said we were a bank. :rofl:

Yet all the rules applied. Including the name tag. The FTE's had to wear a name tag. In my desk I found an older style that just said "Contractor" and I used to wear it around the office. Some people would laugh, some would comment that it wasn't the correct approved style. But it wasn't a place where customers came.

I'm an engineer, most places KNOW they don't want me around customers, even if I was wearing pants. I don't work with customers here, either. But working for a company that has been around 100+ years, they are less hip to the jive. Hell, last year was the first year of telecommuting. I have a felling it won't last due to the abuse. :panic:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Fun fact: My company is 350 years old.

\mindblown.
I was laughing (crying?) the other day about the fact that I have worked for 18 different companies in 20 years of software engineering and over half of those companies no longer exist, and the rest have been bought/sold/rebranded enough times you forgot where they started. nCube (Portland start up in the late 90's) was purchased twice in 2 years and is now part of Arris, the 800lb gorilla.

Intel is about the only one that hasn't been changed.

My boss has been here damn near 20 years and having just finished my 6 month period, I will still be the new guy for at least 10. I've only worked for one other 100+ year company and they invented to commercial light bulb. I think we hit 125 last year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i just made a killer burrito for lunch using leftovers. carne asada, rice n beans, refried beans, corn, sauteed peppers, caramalized onions, fresh onions, salsa, sour cream, quac, and plenty of hot sauce. even had a beer with it. that was a good choice.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dammit, I am out of frozen burritos so I have to go cart hunting myself and its wicked cold outside. Folks just left for pho, should have joined.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Indian fried rice with some Japanese curry and saag paneer over the top. Not a bad leftover lunch.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i just made a killer burrito for lunch using leftovers. carne asada, rice n beans, refried beans, corn, sauteed peppers, caramalized onions, fresh onions, salsa, sour cream, quac, and plenty of hot sauce. even had a beer with it. that was a good choice.
Oh hellz yeah. Thank you for lighting the bulb ontop of my head. I have some pork, eggs and other stuff. Had no plans for dinner, but now I am making breakfast burritos.