Quantcast

Sol Vista National Championships Days 3 & 4

admin

Chimp
Jun 28, 2001
NULL

Here's the wrap-up from last weekend's National Championships in Sol Vista, Colorado.

---

Words & photos by Patrick Branch

Saturday and Sunday, the conditions reminded me of California - dry, warm, and loose. Some racers like myself preferred these types of conditions, while others hoped for rain to make things tacky. If you were like me and forgot to use sunscreen on Thursday, thinking whatever, you and I were surly wrong and suffered the consequences of the sunburn.

Lars Sternberg brought some style down from Washington.

JD Swanguen's flourescent jersey makes him the first thing seen over almost any background. Riders should take note of this if they want better photos.

Saturday morning I raced the amateur course, then made my way over to the pro course to shoot practice an hour later. During pro practice I found an angle I liked on the big doubles to soon realize that pro practice had ended (bummer), so I thought I would enjoy some me time and ride some of Sol Vistas other trails. Sol Vista isn't a big resort in comparison to a place like Mammoth, but the trails here are very well built and fun so you can't seem to stop getting back on the chair lift to toss yourself down them again. I found myself riding Drifter over and over that afternoon. It starts out with a twisty rock garden that leads to a short single-track. From there, you turn right down a sandy rut that zig-zags across the slope. You make the corner going left and hit a 15' triple or alternatively a double next to it. Soon the trail becomes a steep, technical rock garden. I became addicted to this section of trail at Sol Vista, hitting it again and again until I got the last chair lift up and came down with a messed up wheel.

The original start gate became the spot on the top of the course to watch from. By the time it got dark and racing started it was full.

Brian Buell on the original pro start gate waiting for racing to start.

Granby Ranch from the top of the 4x course.

After hanging out at the All Ride tent with Kirt Voreis for a bit, I went up to shoot 4x. I made it up the hill before the sun fell behind the mountains. Qualifying was over and they were having pro final practice due to some circumstances. I missed the start gate switch from the original pro start gate to the amateur gate. The original pro start gate had a six-foot deck drop to a steep landing, were as the amateur start was the typical gate on the ground. After reading things later, it seems to have been because the gate wasn't a proper World Cup start. It also may not have been used because a few riders complained and were told how they could have it changed. Either way, having a whole new start with less than an hour before finals shows a lack of responsibility and management.

Garret Rose in the lead in a practice race.

The halftime show between qualifying and racing took place on the second jump of the original start.

Bag or User failure?

Theo Dilworth of Allout Productions looks to have gotten the shot and is now yelling words of encouragement.

Mitch Ropelato in the lead!

The outcome of the men's race was amazing. Sixteen year old Mitch Ropelato is the 4x National Champion, with Rich Houseman in second, Brian Buell in third, and JD Swanguen in fourth. Jill Kintner is also your women's National Champion in 4x. Behind her were Melissa Buhl in second, Kathy Pruitt in third, and Darian Harvey in fourth.

Jill Kinter leaving the competition in the dust.

Sunday, I took the lift up and shot DH qualifying at the first section out of the gate. I walked down to the middle of the course that was a steep tricky section over logs with trees lining it where I shot the race. Many of the riders got sketchy here and some made it threw with a breeze. I watched one rider swap left between the logs and almost make his way off the course and on to the ski slope going the wrong direction.

Jon Wilson on the transitioning part of the track between the last big jump and the bottom section of berms, jumps and a set of whoops.

Zach Griffith making rocks fly at the top of the course on his qualifying run.

Jen Wolf going around this tree before dropping into the steep sandy section with 2 logs. This was my first time shooting by remote. I was setup with flashes shooting the section below with my main camera.

Aaron Gwin just downhilling along on his way down the course to finish as National Champion!

Aaron Gwin was so fast through this section and the whole course that he finished with the quickest time, becoming the DH National Champion with a time of 2:11.72. Duncan Riffle took second, JD Swanguen, third, and Cody Warren fourth. Geritt Beytagh and Joey Shusler tied for fifth with 2:16.94. Mellisa Buhl is the Women's DH national Champion with a time of 2:41.13. Kathy Pruitt took second, Lisa Myklak, third, Jacqueline Harmony fourth and Katie Holden, fifth. Congrats to the riders and thanks to everyone at Sol Vista (builders to the lifties) for not only making this race happen, but one of the best.

The now soaked of champagne Pro DH women's podium.

Pro DH men's podium about to get wet as well.