Quantcast

Sol Vista Nationals Schedule/Course Question

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
http://www.solvistanationals.com/event-details/schedule.html

Based on the schedule provided in the above link it appears that Cat 1 will be running 'Course B' and Pro will be running 'Course A' for downhill. 'Course B' is also what is going to be used for Cat 2/3 (beginner/sport). Does anyone know if this is correct? Seems kind of ridiculous since I've never seen an event run this way and it is a national championship.

Basically, I am in the process of planning a 1-2 week road trip out west and was originally planning on riding nationals at the conclusion of the trip. If I'll be riding the sport course I don't think I will waste my time with the event and get some good riding in elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
It's true. Course "B" will still have plenty to make you grin, and Sol Vista is the hotness, so make the journey. All of the trails rip. Your supposed "sport" course will likely feature options for gaps over 30 feet and enough gnar to make you grip your bars 'til your knuckles turn white.

Rumor has it that the pro course will be for pro *men* only. No go arounds, no rolling jumps, BIG gaps . . . it will be something that will make most pro riders think twice.

Last edited:

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
I don't doubt that 'Course B' is gnarly enough... But traveling across the country to ride the secondary course is kind of lame. A lot of Cat 1/Expert riders are on the fringe of upgrading to pro, so riding the same courses and comparing times is pretty essential.

I am also curious about this Pro Men only 'Course A'... If there are truly no go arounds, no rolling jumps, and big gaps what would one do in the case of a mechanical? Not finish? Seems kind of extreme that there is no way to navigate the course without blasting monster gaps.

Last edited:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
. . . riding the same courses and comparing times is pretty essential.

. . . Seems kind of extreme that there is no way to navigate the course without blasting monster gaps.
If you're winning Cat 1, move up. You're ready. Simple.

Extreme? Yeah. That's what a national championship course should be.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Fair enough... Was just looking for that clarification and I guess I got that. I still think it is a little wack.

On the plus side Sol Vista seems pretty rad, I'll have to get there one of these days whether it is for the national or not.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Wait, seriously? If this is true I won't be wasting my time or money.
Please trust me when I tell you that your course will be fun and challenging. It will not suck and you will not be treated like a second class citizen or afterthought because of your racing class. We care about ALL levels of riders and want to ensure you will have a great time riding your bike at SolVista Bike Park.

Ask around. We aim to deliver the goods and are trying our best. If you don't like the track you're racing on, I'll pay your entry fee for you.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
The guys at Sol Vista are all racers themselves. They know how to build a race course. I'm not worried.

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
I have no doubt that sol vista will put on a much better event then mt Snow did the past two years. Plus they have other trails besides the race course that blow everything at Snow out of the water.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
The 4X is currently being built, only about a quarter of the way done. We might put up some photos if we get some down time in the next month, but that's a big 'if'.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What is the expected Cat 1 course?
From one of the SolVista guys in the DH forum:

We've been thinking a lot about what courses/features to use for the Cat 1, 2, 3 course, and we've decided we like parts of Cougar, Drifter, BucNasty and Cheeze It and it's offshoots, Tron? and Ashy Larry. Then we realized how good it was racing Silky and Moga's mile has some of the best corners on the track. Loosie is rarely ridden, so it would be good to have in the track as well.
For serious though, it'll be good but they ain't saying. www.SolVistaNationals.com was just updated with new RV camping info, a FAQ page, and pictures of the new 4X track that was started this week. Go check it, fools!

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Two questions for the SolVista locals.What is a good tire choice.If all those trails mentioned above are going to be part of courses what else is there to ride that weekend if your not racing?Thanks

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Looking forward to racing here! I grew up in Colorado (lived in Littleton for 14 years) before I moved to Santa Barbara, CA. Stoked to return and be able to race out there!!

Any pics of the pro course? Trying to decide if I'll get a Leatt or not for this race :P

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Two questions for the SolVista locals.What is a good tire choice.If all those trails mentioned above are going to be part of courses what else is there to ride that weekend if your not racing?Thanks
Despite massive amounts of rain this month, I would still expect dry,dusty (think sandbox) conditions in many places.... so, either 60a or 3C Maxxis are the popular choice. And all of those trails will not be part of the same course, so there will be other stuff to ride.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Like funk just said, to ride in wet conditions at sol vista it pretty much has to be raining while you are riding. The mountain is very sandy and drains super fast. This weekend it dumped rain thursday and friday, and on sunday it was completely back to its good old dry and drifty state. I do like the Minion DHF, as you do slide around alot and it has a very predictable drift. The rocks and sliding will eat tires though, your Maxxis wont last long. I think the best tire for the mountain is the Intense DH, which feels sturdier and more confident to me, a good thing on drifter or cougar when you get going god knows how fast and still being forced to turn on your limits. It's tempting to go for huge knobed tire to dig in, but you will definitely give up a lot in rolling speed, since it is not super steep on much of the mountain. Hope this helps.

As for the pro/cat 1 course difference, all I can say is that at Sol Vista the expert courses are pro courses, which should make a pro course something like an elite world cup track. I am a little scared to see what a "pro" course is going to be like to ride, and I am on Team Sol Vista and have raced at world cups. Matt and the guys are out to see the sport progress again, which at least course wise has been in reverse for the last few years. The decision to build a pro only track I think is great for the spectators, the riders both pro and otherwise, and the sport as a whole. I can understand the concern from a Cat 1 standpoint, and can only assure you that the amateur track will be fun for everyone, and probably hard and scary enough for everyone as well. And if you see the pro track at Sol Vista and think you can ride it and want to, then at least you know you are ready to upgrade!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
what about 60a minions or michelin dh? I only ask because I have these already and would rather not buy another set to practice on if I don't have to.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Just a little teaser for everyone, this is going to be part of the pro DH track that is yet to be finished. We are getting all the courses ready, and we hope we make it, one and a half weeks to go... The photos are from the front of three jumps, and from the middle set looking up. Again though, none of the courses are done, nobody is allowed on them (we can't even ride it, we have not built it all).

Attachments

dlowebiker

Chimp
Jun 20, 2008
i have a questions about going to nationals all together. i race cat 1 dh so can i just go and show up and race? i didnt make it too any qualifers like fontana. so i was wondering if i can still go.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
i have a questions about going to nationals all together. i race cat 1 dh so can i just go and show up and race? i didnt make it too any qualifers like fontana. so i was wondering if i can still go.
you do have to qualify, I'm not 100% certain what the requirements are, but you can find them on the usa cycling website, or solvistanationals.com

jgibb83

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
Any more new pix of the 4x track?The dh pro section looks huge that will be the spot to watch for sure.

dlowebiker

Chimp
Jun 20, 2008
does anyone know what the non pro course is like? and i got a hold of usacycling and i qualified from the nmbs final last year,im so stoked i can make it out their

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
does anyone know what the non pro course is like? and i got a hold of usacycling and i qualified from the nmbs final last year,im so stoked i can make it out their
The DH course? Its rocky, sandy and some 10-20 foot jumps (go around options).